ComputerBanter.com

ComputerBanter.com (http://www.computerbanter.com/index.php)
-   Storage (alt) (http://www.computerbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   "Hard Drive Stats for Q2 2017" (http://www.computerbanter.com/showthread.php?t=173093)

Lynn McGuire[_3_] August 31st 17 01:36 AM

"Hard Drive Stats for Q2 2017"

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-...stats-q2-2017/

"Since our last report for Q1 2017, we have added 635 additional hard
drives to bring us to the 83,151 drives we’ll focus on. In Q1 we added
over 10,000 new drives to the mix, so adding just 635 in Q2 seems “odd.”
In fact, we added 4,921 new drives and retired 4,286 old drives as we
migrated from lower density drives to higher density drives. We cover
more about migrations later on, but first let’s look at the Q2 quarterly
stats."

Wow, 30% failure rates on some of the Seagate 4 TB drives !

Lynn

Mark Perkins August 31st 17 03:47 PM

"Hard Drive Stats for Q2 2017"

On Wed, 30 Aug 2017 19:36:19 -0500, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

"Hard Drive Stats for Q2 2017"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-...stats-q2-2017/

"Since our last report for Q1 2017, we have added 635 additional hard
drives to bring us to the 83,151 drives well focus on. In Q1 we added
over 10,000 new drives to the mix, so adding just 635 in Q2 seems odd.
In fact, we added 4,921 new drives and retired 4,286 old drives as we
migrated from lower density drives to higher density drives. We cover
more about migrations later on, but first lets look at the Q2 quarterly
stats."

Wow, 30% failure rates on some of the Seagate 4 TB drives !

This note might apply:

When looking at the quarterly numbers, remember to look for those drives
with at least 50,000 drive days for the quarter. That works out to about
550 drives running the entire quarter. Thats a good sample size. If the
sample size is below that, the failure rates can be skewed based on a
small change in the number of drive failures.

Percival P. Cassidy September 1st 17 10:01 PM

"Hard Drive Stats for Q2 2017"

On 08/30/2017 08:36 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"Hard Drive Stats for Q2 2017"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-...stats-q2-2017/

"Since our last report for Q1 2017, we have added 635 additional hard
drives to bring us to the 83,151 drives we’ll focus on. In Q1 we added
over 10,000 new drives to the mix, so adding just 635 in Q2 seems “odd.”
In fact, we added 4,921 new drives and retired 4,286 old drives as we
migrated from lower density drives to higher density drives. We cover
more about migrations later on, but first let’s look at the Q2 quarterly
stats."

Wow, 30% failure rates on some of the Seagate 4 TB drives !

Strangely, I can find nothing about an ST4000DM001 on Seagate's Web site.

Perce

Shadow[_2_] September 7th 17 10:32 PM

"Hard Drive Stats for Q2 2017"

On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 17:01:53 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 08/30/2017 08:36 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"Hard Drive Stats for Q2 2017"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-...stats-q2-2017/

"Since our last report for Q1 2017, we have added 635 additional hard
drives to bring us to the 83,151 drives well focus on. In Q1 we added
over 10,000 new drives to the mix, so adding just 635 in Q2 seems odd.
In fact, we added 4,921 new drives and retired 4,286 old drives as we
migrated from lower density drives to higher density drives. We cover
more about migrations later on, but first lets look at the Q2 quarterly
stats."

Wow, 30% failure rates on some of the Seagate 4 TB drives !

Strangely, I can find nothing about an ST4000DM001 on Seagate's Web site.

http://www.seagate.com/www-content/p...100743772a.pdf

[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Percival P. Cassidy September 8th 17 07:09 PM

"Hard Drive Stats for Q2 2017"

On 09/07/2017 05:32 PM, Shadow wrote:

"Hard Drive Stats for Q2 2017"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-...stats-q2-2017/

"Since our last report for Q1 2017, we have added 635 additional hard
drives to bring us to the 83,151 drives we’ll focus on. In Q1 we added
over 10,000 new drives to the mix, so adding just 635 in Q2 seems “odd.”
In fact, we added 4,921 new drives and retired 4,286 old drives as we
migrated from lower density drives to higher density drives. We cover
more about migrations later on, but first let’s look at the Q2 quarterly
stats."

Wow, 30% failure rates on some of the Seagate 4 TB drives !

Strangely, I can find nothing about an ST4000DM001 on Seagate's Web site.

http://www.seagate.com/www-content/p...100743772a.pdf

A search on the Seagate site for ST4000DM001 showed nothing.

I didn't look at every item in the document you linked, but I do see
that it weighs a little more and has double the cache of the ST4000DM000.

Perce