Search: Posts made by: mike
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 15th 18, 09:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By mike
"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

On 8/15/2018 12:04 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
On 8/14/2018 8:55 PM, mike wrote:
On 8/14/2018 3:24 PM, Mark Perkins wrote:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 13:58:00 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 15th 18, 02:55 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By mike
"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

On 8/14/2018 3:24 PM, Mark Perkins wrote:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 13:58:00 -0500, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

On 8/12/2018 12:58 AM, Mark Perkins wrote:
On Wed, 8 Aug 2018...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 12th 18, 05:26 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By mike
"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

On 8/11/2018 4:52 AM, Flasherly wrote:
On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 21:52:38 -0700, mike wrote:

In the case of a SSD, it's not at all clear who uses what strategy
to what...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 11th 18, 05:52 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By mike
"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

On 8/9/2018 8:56 PM, Paul wrote:
mike wrote:
On 8/9/2018 4:28 AM, Paul wrote:
Bill wrote:
mike wrote:

How's the reliability?
I'm still reading that they fail...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 10th 18, 04:32 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By mike
"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

On 8/9/2018 4:28 AM, Paul wrote:
Bill wrote:
mike wrote:

How's the reliability?
I'm still reading that they fail catastrophically without warning.

I've heard that the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 9th 18, 08:10 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By mike
"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

On 8/8/2018 10:54 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
mike wrote:

How's the reliability [of SSDs]? I'm still reading that they fail
catastrophically without warning.

Most have an estimated lifespan...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 9th 18, 06:45 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On 8/8/2018 9:52 PM, Bill wrote:
mike wrote:

How's the reliability?
I'm still reading that they fail catastrophically without warning.

I've heard that the reliability of SSDs far...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 9th 18, 05:24 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On 8/8/2018 9:03 PM, Bill wrote:
VanguardLH wrote:
Lynn McGuire wrote:

"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 31st 18, 05:53 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By mike
Power Button Problems

On 7/30/2018 6:34 PM, GlowingBlueMist wrote:
On 7/30/2018 5:53 PM, wrote:
I have an Optiplex 360 that I cannot turn on because of a faulty power
button.

I have...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 31st 18, 01:36 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By mike
Power Button Problems

On 7/30/2018 3:53 PM, wrote:
I have an Optiplex 360 that I cannot turn on because of a faulty power button.

I have no idea how to repair this since I cannot get to the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 9th 18, 11:40 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By mike
Can I make my power supply fan turn faster?

On 7/9/2018 9:41 AM, wrote:
The fan is making noise. I can stop it with a pencil. I sprayed a
jet of wd 40. It is a little more quiet. I think if I could get it
spinning...
Forum: Printers May 15th 18, 10:47 AM Posted to comp.periphs.printers
Posted By mike
Zebra LP2824 with seagull drivers??

Windows 7 ultimate 32-bit
Zebra LP2824 label printer.
Zebradesdigner2 label software.

The system does just what I want except
that the label is offset vertically and the top
..1" or so is cut...
Forum: Printers May 12th 18, 04:38 AM Posted to comp.periphs.printers
Posted By mike
Answering my own question (Epson Ecotank ink in other cartridges)

On 4/28/2018 11:36 AM, none wrote:
Back in November, I posted the following:

"I've run out of black refill ink. The situation's been looming for a
while; there's a Micro Center store in town...
Forum: Printers May 11th 18, 05:30 AM Posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware
Posted By mike
Combine/merge multiple print jobs into one print job freeware?

On 5/10/2018 5:11 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 5/10/2018 4:33 AM, mike wrote:
Brother MFC-L2700DW

Can print multiple pages per page
and double sided.
Windows 7 and 10

I want to...
Forum: Printers May 10th 18, 11:32 PM Posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

On 5/10/2018 4:33 AM, mike wrote:
Brother MFC-L2700DW

Can print multiple pages per page
and double sided.
Windows 7 and 10

I want to...
Forum: Printers May 10th 18, 09:33 AM Posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware
Posted By mike
Combine/merge multiple print jobs into one print job freeware?

Brother MFC-L2700DW

Can print multiple pages per page
and double sided.
Windows 7 and 10

I want to print multiple documents from multiple
applications in ONE job
so I can use the printer driver...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 8th 18, 07:57 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By mike
Help - pc not turning on

On 5/8/2018 8:23 AM, Yes wrote:
While troubleshooting a new HD, I just ran into a new problem of which
I'm not sure where the problem is.

When I press the on/off button for the pc on the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 6th 18, 09:51 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By mike
solved Is it safe to remove power from a SATA hard drive leavingdata connected to disable it?

On 5/6/2018 9:00 AM, Paul wrote:
mike wrote:

The problem I'm trying to solve is that windows 10 upgrade to
one hard drive messes up the boot sector of the other bootable
drive. I've...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 6th 18, 12:59 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By mike
Is it safe to remove power from a SATA hard drive leaving data connectedto disable it?

The problem I'm trying to solve is that windows 10 upgrade to
one hard drive messes up the boot sector of the other bootable
drive. I've been opening the case and pulling the data cable.

I need a...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 19th 17, 08:27 PM Posted to alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By mike
New “Quad9” DNS service blocks malicious domains for everyoneq

On 11/19/2017 4:12 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 19/11/2017 5:01 AM, T wrote:

Any better or worse than Open DNS?

It claimed to block malicious websites. But the ping to it is really...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 19th 17, 04:18 AM Posted to alt.comp.freeware,alt.conspiracy,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.lang.c,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By mike
"CCleaner compromised: better check your PC"

On 9/18/2017 7:33 PM, Ant wrote:
In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt Tim wrote:
Arnie Goetchius wrote in
Forum: General January 31st 17, 06:19 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Posted By mike
wireless mouse not working

On 2017-01-30 00:58, mike wrote:
On 1/29/2017 11:53 AM, Norm X wrote:
This message is Xposted to relevant news groups

Hi,

I have a...
Forum: General January 30th 17, 05:58 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Posted By mike
wireless mouse not working

On 1/29/2017 11:53 AM, Norm X wrote:
This message is Xposted to relevant news groups

Hi,

I have a Nexxtech wireless mouse. It has stopped working on my Win10Pro
desktop PC even after...
Forum: General January 26th 17, 07:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Posted By mike
Damage a case fan by vacuuming air vents from the outside?

On 1/24/2017 3:01 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
micky on 2017/01/23 wrote:

In alt.comp.hardware, on Mon, 23 Jan 2017 11:23:18 -0800, pyotr
filipivich...
Forum: General January 23rd 17, 12:20 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Posted By mike
Damage a case fan by vacuuming air vents from the outside?

On 1/23/2017 1:37 AM, micky wrote:
Can you damage a case fan by vacuuming the air vents from the outside?

(I have a Dell Optiplex 775 with the original fan. )

It seems more than safe to me,...