Search: Posts made by: Paul[_26_]
Forum: General Today, 07:20 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Posted By Paul[_26_]
MSI B450-A PRO doesn't recognize external HDD via esata-sata

MaxTheFast wrote:
Hi Paul and other folks. Now I'd like to try with a converter from enclosure's USB 3.0 type B port to mobo's SATA III port. I think this has definitely to work because fantec's...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's Today, 07:03 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
66MHz PCI

T. Ment wrote:
Wikipedia says about conventional PCI:

The M66EN pin is an additional ground on 5 V PCI buses found in most
PC motherboards. Cards and motherboards that do not support 66...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 13th 19, 06:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
GT 1030 and GT 520 in one PC.

wrote:
You have a paddlecard motherboard (NF4SK8AA)

The very end of your manual, has an appendix showing
the paddlecard between the two video slots.

With...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 13th 19, 04:30 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Tachi X570 has only 1 gigabit ethernetport kinda disappointing(not future-proof, no 10 GBe)

wrote:
On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 8:59:00 PM UTC+2, Paul wrote:
Char Jackson wrote:

For Comp#2 to receive service, everything in the chain needs power.
And...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 10th 19, 06:16 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Tachi X570 has only 1 gigabit ethernetport kinda disappointing(not future-proof, no 10 GBe)

Char Jackson wrote:

I followed your posts about that. You showed more interest and
determination than I would have been able to muster. :-)

I'd read some baloney somewhere, that the BT...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 10th 19, 04:31 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Tachi X570 has only 1 gigabit ethernetport kinda disappointing(not future-proof, no 10 GBe)

Char Jackson wrote:
On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 14:58:58 -0400, Paul wrote:

Skybuck mentioned not wanting a router in the picture, and
I assumed he's serially connecting...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 10th 19, 04:22 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Tachi X570 has only 1 gigabit ethernetport kinda disappointing(not future-proof, no 10 GBe)

T. Ment wrote:

You remind me of a kid in a computer store years ago. He told me he was
"grounded" because he was standing on a rubber mat. I thought it would
waste time trying to explain...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 9th 19, 07:58 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Char Jackson wrote:

For Comp#2 to receive service, everything in the chain needs power.
And that costs money.

GbE GbE 10GbE
Broadband...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 9th 19, 05:53 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Tachi X570 has only 1 gigabit ethernetport kinda disappointing(not future-proof, no 10 GBe)

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 7/9/2019 10:53 PM, Char Jackson wrote:

Let's talk about it when the price of 10G broadband plans could
challenge that of 1G plans.... 10G is definitely...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 9th 19, 02:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Tachi X570 has only 1 gigabit ethernetport kinda disappointing(not future-proof, no 10 GBe)

wrote:
WOW,

It's worse then I thought, almost all over their new X570 motherboard have the same intel crap ethernet ports of 1 gigabit/sec

Only the phantom has 2.5...
Forum: General July 9th 19, 03:25 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Hard drive experiments

philo wrote:
Now that I'm an old retired guy I am finally getting around to doing a
few things I've always wanted to try concerning hard drives.

I mentioned in another thread that I had two...
Forum: General July 8th 19, 10:04 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Posted By Paul[_26_]
ADDENDUM: Cables Reproducing?

John McGaw wrote:

Except that I don't have a single computer with a FireWire connector. I
can't think of a single peripheral that I've ever owned that would have
had FireWire either. That...
Forum: General July 8th 19, 07:40 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Posted By Paul[_26_]
ADDENDUM: Cables Reproducing?

John McGaw wrote:
On 7/2/2019 9:42 AM, John McGaw wrote:
It has to be that these things are breeding. There used to be a joking
theory that wire coat hangers were reproducing and trying to...
Forum: General July 8th 19, 12:25 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Posted By Paul[_26_]
I need to recover USB hard drive

~misfit~ wrote:
On 8/07/2019 4:18 PM, Paul wrote:
~misfit~ wrote:
On 8/07/2019 2:20 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jul 2019 06:04:18 -0400, wrote:

I need to...
Forum: General July 8th 19, 05:18 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware

~misfit~ wrote:
On 8/07/2019 2:20 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jul 2019 06:04:18 -0400, wrote:

I need to try to recover data from a USB hard drive which suddenly...
Forum: General July 7th 19, 02:43 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Posted By Paul[_26_]
1 terabyte flash drives?

wrote:
Are 1 terabyte flash drives any good?
I just discovered they are being sold.
Quite surprised.
xxxxx

There are counterfeit 1TB and 2TB USB keys.

Compare these to the...
Forum: General July 6th 19, 04:42 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Enclosure for SSD thingy

Alek wrote:

OK. It seems to be NVMe SSD.

I don't know if there are any cheaper versions of these or not.

https://www.amazon.com/Enclosure-External-Reader-Adapter-RIITOP/dp/B07FCBNSL8

This...
Forum: General July 6th 19, 04:26 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Posted By Paul[_26_]
I need to recover USB hard drive

wrote:

As do I.
I think I have been reminded that the file-correcting process in the
BIOS boot segments of machines as they boot up will correct disk
problems (which I should...
Forum: General July 6th 19, 04:59 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Posted By Paul[_26_]
External Backup?

~misfit~ wrote:
On 6/07/2019 10:34 AM, VanguardLH wrote:

The OP said he *thinks* an A/C powered USB enclosure *might* be more
reliable than using a USB port. His experience has been the A/C...
Forum: General July 6th 19, 04:55 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Posted By Paul[_26_]
I need to recover USB hard drive

wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jul 2019 12:29:35 -0400, Paul

I need to try to recover data from a USB hard drive which suddenly...
Forum: General July 5th 19, 10:00 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Enclosure for SSD thingy

Alek wrote:
Paul wrote on 7/5/2019 4:05 PM:
Alek wrote:
I removed the SSD circuit board (M.2????) from a computer that had died.
I'd like to use that SSD in a computer that does not have...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 5th 19, 09:51 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
sil3114 sata card

T. Ment wrote:

There are some capacitors near and between the PCI slots. I'll desolder
and check them, to see if I can find any bad ones. Something is messing
up INT-C and INT-D. INT-A and...
Forum: General July 5th 19, 09:05 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Enclosure for SSD thingy

Alek wrote:
I removed the SSD circuit board (M.2????) from a computer that had died.
I'd like to use that SSD in a computer that does not have a plug-in
connector for such a device.

Is...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 5th 19, 08:50 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
sil3114 sata card

T. Ment wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jul 2019 05:52:22 +0000, T. Ment wrote:

Four slots can't all be bad

I moved the network card to one of the trouble slots, and now the
network card fails too....
Forum: General July 5th 19, 05:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Posted By Paul[_26_]
I need to recover USB hard drive

wrote:
I need to try to recover data from a USB hard drive which suddenly has
become unreadable.

I'd rather not send it away to do that. I have downloaded and tried a
few...