Search: Posts made by: Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Forum: General November 15th 18, 09:33 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.windows7.general
Replies: 35
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Intel CPU prices going up?

On 11/13/2018 6:16 PM, Paul wrote:
Looks like one silicon die to me. There are two IP blocks on it.

http://i.imgur.com/9TIpxDY.jpg

On the mobile part, there is one IP block (4 cores/8...
Forum: General November 13th 18, 10:28 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.windows7.general
Replies: 35
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Intel CPU prices going up?

On 10/24/2018 4:39 AM, Paul wrote:
I think the Ryzen is a single die with two CCX on it.
So your yield is for an 8 core chips.

Forum: General October 24th 18, 05:29 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.windows7.general
Replies: 35
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Intel CPU prices going up?

On 10/23/2018 1:45 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
You're obviously making guesses. Demand hasn't gone up despite all the
news pundits saying otherwise. "Apparently" is another guess.

We all are, as...
Forum: General October 23rd 18, 07:45 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.windows7.general
Replies: 35
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Intel CPU prices going up?

On 10/15/2018 1:36 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
Every manufacturer has a maximum threshold for producing a product. A
bakery can only produce as many loaves of bread per day as they have
ovens.

By...
Forum: General October 15th 18, 02:13 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.windows7.general
Replies: 35
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Intel CPU prices going up?

Intel's processor prices have been going up recently, rather than down.
They're blaming it on production problems. Intel has been well known to
be stuck on the 14nm node for a while now. Instead of...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 16th 18, 06:20 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
New Build

On 16/07/2018 10:38 PM, wrote:
I have reselected my choices per your advice and matched the two, now to do even more research. I feel a bit overwhelmed, its a bunch to research...
Forum: Storage (alt) June 14th 18, 02:46 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
"HDD vs SSD: What Does the Future for Storage Hold?"

On 3/6/2018 1:21 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"HDD vs SSD: What Does the Future for Storage Hold?"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/ssd-vs-hdd-future-of-storage/

Pretty much what I thought.
Forum: Intel January 23rd 18, 09:04 AM Posted to alt.os.linux,comp.sys.intel
Replies: 1
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
AMD Threadripper nested page tables are disaster

On 8/31/2017 9:01 AM, Nomen Nescio wrote:
a huge bug
AMD shot themselves in the foot
last time I buy any of their ****

Looks like the nested page tables are what prevent them from being...
Forum: Storage (alt) January 11th 18, 03:19 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 10
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Why is a smaller folder taking longer to be backed up than alarger one?

On 1/10/2018 6:59 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
Same help shown when I run "vssadmin /?" on Windows 7. You probably
need a server version of Windows to get the "create shadow" directive in
vssadmin (I...
Forum: Storage (alt) January 11th 18, 12:08 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 10
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Why is a smaller folder taking longer to be backed up than alarger one?

On 1/9/2018 3:25 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
Is VSC (Volume Shadow Copy) Service aka VSS enabled in your Windows? Go
into the services manager (services.msc) and check "Volume Shadow Copy"
service...
Forum: Storage (alt) January 11th 18, 12:04 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 10
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Why is a smaller folder taking longer to be backed up than alarger one?

On 1/9/2018 3:25 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
Disable your anti-virus and redo the backup to see if the AV was getting
in the way. Do you have more than one anti-virus or anti-malware
program...
Forum: Storage (alt) January 10th 18, 11:41 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 10
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Why is a smaller folder taking longer to be backed up than alarger one?

On 1/10/2018 1:08 AM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 1/9/2018 2:15 AM, Paul wrote:
To establish baseline performance, you can use Robocopy to copy the
files to a RAMdisk. That should expose any source...
Forum: Storage (alt) January 10th 18, 07:08 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 10
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Why is a smaller folder taking longer to be backed up than alarger one?

On 1/9/2018 2:15 AM, Paul wrote:
Now, does it use VSS for that ? Probably.
To freeze the volume before starting the backup, such
that any files still changing, don't get their latest version
Forum: Storage (alt) January 9th 18, 07:36 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 10
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Why is a smaller folder taking longer to be backed up than a largerone?

Okay, so I do daily Macrium file backups of my entire User folder, with
monthly fulls at the beginning of each month. All except one specific
subfolder which takes longer than all of the rest of...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 30th 17, 04:51 AM Posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
How to view what the hard drive is doing?

On 15/10/2016 1:32 PM, David B wrote:
On 15-Oct-16 6:16 AM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 12/10/2016 6:03 PM, [email protected] wrote:
Hi,

Often when I'm just sitting there reading or doing something...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 30th 17, 04:47 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Intel to announce Coffee Lake during solar eclipse?

On 27/08/2017 5:58 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 12:54:10 AM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

There are people, who will use these extra cores to advantage.
Workstation...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 30th 17, 04:41 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Laptop charger?

On 26/11/2017 6:57 AM, Paul wrote:
I checked mine on the Kill-A-Watt. I always wanted one of these,
but had to wait until a retailer here started carrying them.

Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 30th 17, 04:36 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Laptop charger?

On 26/11/2017 12:29 AM, Flasherly wrote:
Here's an example, from Toshiba, of (some) logic characteristics of a
charger part#;- you may find yours or use it (and others) for broader
relevance.
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 25th 17, 04:28 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Laptop charger?

On 22/11/2017 12:41 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
I realize this is not really a homebuilt PC question, but it is a PC
hardware question. I got a laptop that doesn't seem to charge its
battery while...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 25th 17, 03:49 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Windows 10 can swallow total hardware change?

On 25/11/2017 7:07 PM, wrote:
I have avoided most versions of Windows. I recall with older versions,
if you took a Windows hard drive and plugged it in to a different PC,
it...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 24th 17, 12:42 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Laptop charger?

On 24/11/2017 11:31 AM, Flasherly wrote:
If by both - aside from running without a battery, not to charge
properly while running*with* one - yeah, that's empirical hands-on,
something has...
Forum: Storage (alt) November 23rd 17, 06:10 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Do those disk wipe utilities make a difference in an SSD?

On 20/11/2017 2:00 PM, Ed Light wrote:
My Kingston SSD's software has a wipe the disk option.

Seems like if you filled up the capacity of the disk with random stuff
it would get everything....
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 23rd 17, 03:01 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Laptop charger?

On 22/11/2017 8:51 PM, Flasherly wrote:
It may be the charger function is intended for most of its duty with
the laptop in an off state. Will it run the laptop alone, with the
battery pulled...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 22nd 17, 11:40 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
new version 57 of FireFox today

On 20/11/2017 12:45 PM, PeterC wrote:
Anyway, Moonchild's Basilisk is available in Alpha form: it's as fast as
Quantum and opens on about 300MB of RAM. It seems to use some more as tabs
are...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 22nd 17, 11:36 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Laptop charger?

On 22/11/2017 12:52 PM, Paul wrote:
A couple questions:

1) Are you using an "Ebay adapter" instead of the
original adapter ? Did the original adapter have three
contacts (maybe a...