Search: Posts made by: Paul[_26_]
Forum: General Yesterday, 05:56 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Posted By Paul[_26_]
128GB Flash Drives Any Good?

John McGaw wrote:
On 8/14/2018 7:25 AM, wrote:
I just noticed am abundance of large capacity (128GB) flash drives on
the market quite cheap. I guess I just missed them. I...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 13th 18, 04:07 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
will we see 2.5/5 Gbps ethernet??

wrote:
Seems to me to be a real need for this.
If you're pulling data off an NAS at 1 Gbps, that is lukewarm green disk speed.
But 10 Gbps is pushing **** uphill over old...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 12th 18, 08:36 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Paul[_26_]
"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

Mark Perkins wrote:
On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 20:37:01 -0500, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

Forum: Storage (alt) August 12th 18, 08:36 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

wrote:

"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 10th 18, 04:56 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

mike wrote:
On 8/9/2018 4:28 AM, Paul wrote:
Bill wrote:
mike wrote:

How's the reliability?
I'm still reading that they fail catastrophically without warning.

I've...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 9th 18, 05:26 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

Rene Lamontagne wrote:

Do anyone here remember the Apple III walkout era?

Rene

Socketed chips ? Ouch.

https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/inside-the-apple-iii/3/
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 9th 18, 01:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

VanguardLH wrote:

Since I leave my computer running 24x7, I've *never* had the thermal
creeping problem with connectors, memory modules, etc.

The temperature variation on always-running...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 9th 18, 12:28 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Bill wrote:
mike wrote:

How's the reliability?
I'm still reading that they fail catastrophically without warning.

I've heard that the reliability of SSDs far exceeds that of the
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 7th 18, 03:29 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
LAN question, can I "merge" 2 separate LANs?

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
On Sun, 05 Aug 2018 20:15:38 -0400, Paul
wrote:

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
On Sun, 05 Aug 2018 16:06:42 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 6th 18, 01:15 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
On Sun, 05 Aug 2018 16:06:42 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
wrote:
I just had another thought... I suppose if I tried to connect the two
wired LANs...
Forum: Dell Computers August 5th 18, 05:05 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Windows 10 Boot Manager Missing

Boris wrote:
Boris wrote in
:

Great big snip

Moving on...

In the BIOS Setup, I disabled Secure...
Forum: Dell Computers August 5th 18, 04:54 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Windows 10 Boot Manager Missing

Boris wrote:
Paul wrote in :

Boris wrote:
I messed up.

Machine is a Dell 3668 Laptop running Windows 10 version...
Forum: Dell Computers August 4th 18, 05:31 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Windows 10 Boot Manager Missing

Boris wrote:
I messed up.

Machine is a Dell 3668 Laptop running Windows 10 version 1803.

I wanted to run a live Linux distribution DVD (like I have on this Windows
7 machine), but of...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 1st 18, 06:56 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
USB 3.0 hub question

Yes wrote:
I'm thinking about buying a USB 3.0 external hub for my pc. I'm
looking for one that has about an 18 to 20 inch cable length and will
use the older 3.0 USB connectors (Type A ???). ...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 31st 18, 03:40 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Class 1 laser safe, output power and accidents

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 7/31/2018 8:13 PM, Paul wrote:

however, an unsafe power level may be collected by a
magnifying optic with larger aperture."

So all we need is an...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 31st 18, 02:40 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Is Class 1 laser safe enough for baby eyes?

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 7/31/2018 8:13 PM, Paul wrote:
however, an unsafe power level may be collected by a
magnifying optic with larger aperture."

Looks like that...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 31st 18, 01:13 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Is Class 1 laser safe enough for baby eyes?

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

I meant, what if someone accidentally shine Class 1 laser into a baby's
eyes? Would it hurt retina and leave a permanent damage?

I know ... I know... it should...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 31st 18, 09:35 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Power Button Problems

mike wrote:
On 7/30/2018 6:34 PM, GlowingBlueMist wrote:
On 7/30/2018 5:53 PM, wrote:
I have an Optiplex 360 that I cannot turn on because of a faulty power
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 31st 18, 02:26 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Power Button Problems

wrote:
I have an Optiplex 360 that I cannot turn on because of a
faulty power button.

I have no idea how to repair this since I cannot get to the
power button,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 30th 18, 01:55 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Why are you posting your crap in this FREEWARE group?

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 7/30/2018 7:06 AM, TPayne wrote:

Why are you posting your crap in this FREEWARE group?

There is crap everywhere anyway... :)

You could do your part, by...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 30th 18, 01:54 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Largactil

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 7/30/2018 4:07 AM, Paul wrote:

My grandmother lived to a ripe old age.
Nothing could stop here. Not even voices.
If she stopped taking her Largactil, she...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 29th 18, 09:07 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Operation Quetiapine

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

Anyone know what happened that triggered Operation Quetiapine? Any
deaths? Anything to do with Hong Kong Police?

That's a drug for the treatment of schizophrenia.
A...
Forum: Home Design July 26th 18, 04:03 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned
Posted By Paul[_26_]
Home designed hardware

Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
Anybody out here want to discuss home-built hardware?

I've actually made a keyboard by the way.

Probably more than 30 years ago now.

It was made before keyup/keydown...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 17th 18, 05:42 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
New Build

Bill wrote:
wrote:
Case 1 x iBUYPOWER Snowblind Element [Restock Date: 11/27]
LED Fan Lighting 1 x 3x [RGB] Raidmax NV-R120B 120mm RGB LED Ring Fan
Case Lighting...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 17th 18, 03:53 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Paul[_26_]
New Build

wrote:
Case 1 x iBUYPOWER Snowblind Element [Restock Date: 11/27]
LED Fan Lighting 1 x 3x [RGB] Raidmax NV-R120B 120mm RGB LED Ring Fan
Case Lighting 1 x Snowblind White...