Search: Posts made by: Lynn McGuire[_3_]
Forum: Storage (alt) June 18th 18, 06:42 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Lynn McGuire[_3_]
Disposing of a hard drive.

On 6/15/2018 11:47 AM, Bill Ward wrote:
Most hard drives seem quite indestructible. What is the best method of
disposal ? I do live on the coast with some 500ft high cliffs nearby.
Bill.

I...
Forum: Storage (alt) June 12th 18, 09:03 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Lynn McGuire[_3_]
2T SSD SATA - $250

On 6/12/2018 2:02 PM, Paul wrote:
Lynn McGuire wrote:
On 6/12/2018 1:12 PM, Paul wrote:
Flasherly wrote:
Direct Chinese marketing - no warranty, no nothing.
Except, it is MICRON...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 12th 18, 09:03 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Lynn McGuire[_3_]
2T SSD SATA - $250

On 6/12/2018 2:02 PM, Paul wrote:
Lynn McGuire wrote:
On 6/12/2018 1:12 PM, Paul wrote:
Flasherly wrote:
Direct Chinese marketing - no warranty, no nothing.
Except, it is MICRON...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 12th 18, 07:48 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Lynn McGuire[_3_]
2T SSD SATA - $250

On 6/12/2018 1:12 PM, Paul wrote:
Flasherly wrote:
Direct Chinese marketing - no warranty, no nothing.
Except, it is MICRON branded.
My Micron, I bought, a USA-distribution of their 256G...
Forum: Storage (alt) June 12th 18, 07:48 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Lynn McGuire[_3_]
2T SSD SATA - $250

On 6/12/2018 1:12 PM, Paul wrote:
Flasherly wrote:
Direct Chinese marketing - no warranty, no nothing.
Except, it is MICRON branded.
My Micron, I bought, a USA-distribution of their 256G...
Forum: Storage (alt) May 8th 18, 12:49 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Lynn McGuire[_3_]
"The Helium Factor and Hard Drive Failure Rates"

On 5/5/2018 2:24 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
Mark Perkins wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

The heads need to fly over the platters. That cannot happen if there is
no gas inside the drive. ...
Forum: Storage (alt) May 7th 18, 08:06 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Lynn McGuire[_3_]
"The Helium Factor and Hard Drive Failure Rates"

On 5/5/2018 11:36 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 3 May 2018 20:50:21 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

What are they going to use after the helium is gone?

Depends what they...
Forum: Storage (alt) May 4th 18, 08:31 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On 5/3/2018 8:50 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
Lynn McGuire wrote:

"The Helium Factor and Hard Drive Failure Rates"
Forum: Storage (alt) May 3rd 18, 09:23 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Lynn McGuire[_3_]
"The Helium Factor and Hard Drive Failure Rates"

"The Helium Factor and Hard Drive Failure Rates"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/helium-filled-hard-drive-failure-rates/

"In November 2013, the first commercially available helium-filled hard...
Forum: Storage (alt) May 1st 18, 08:05 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Lynn McGuire[_3_]
“Hard Drive Stats for Q1 2018”

“Hard Drive Stats for Q1 2018”
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-q1-2018/

“As of March 31, 2018 we had 100,110 spinning hard drives. Of that
number, there were 1,922...
Forum: Storage (alt) April 10th 18, 07:56 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Lynn McGuire[_3_]
"Holographic data storage could cram 1,000 DVDs onto a 4-in squarefilm"

"Holographic data storage could cram 1,000 DVDs onto a 4-in square film"
https://newatlas.com/holographic-data-storage-film/54117/

So, 8.5 TB on a holographic device ?

I think that I have...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 7th 18, 01:19 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Lynn McGuire[_3_]
“Microsoft reorg, a week later” – Windows is no longer a division

“Microsoft reorg, a week later” – Windows is no longer a division
https://www.petri.com/paul-thurrotts-short-takes-april-6

“Last week, Microsoft announced a blockbuster corporate...
Forum: Storage (alt) March 29th 18, 09:51 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Lynn McGuire[_3_]
In celebration of World Backup Day, March 31

On 3/29/2018 2:06 PM, Mark Perkins wrote:
On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 12:54:08 -0500, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

In celebration of World Backup Day, March 31, I will be changing...
Forum: Storage (alt) March 29th 18, 06:54 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Lynn McGuire[_3_]
In celebration of World Backup Day, March 31

In celebration of World Backup Day, March 31, I will be changing our
next to last 4 TB internal backup hard drive for a 8 TB hard drive
stripped from an external USB drive.
Forum: Storage (alt) March 21st 18, 06:21 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Lynn McGuire[_3_]
"Nimbus Data's 100TB ExaDrive Is the World's Largest SSD"

"Nimbus Data's 100TB ExaDrive Is the World's Largest SSD"

https://www.pcmag.com/news/359941/nimbus-datas-100tb-exadrive-is-the-worlds-largest-ssd

"A company called Nimbus Data just unveiled what...
Forum: Storage (alt) March 15th 18, 06:08 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Lynn McGuire[_3_]
LAN backups

On 3/15/2018 1:03 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
Speaking of LAN backups, our office LAN backup is at 4 TB and growing at
100 GB a month. I still use three internal backup drives, two are WD 4
TB...
Forum: Storage (alt) March 15th 18, 06:03 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Lynn McGuire[_3_]
LAN backups

Speaking of LAN backups, our office LAN backup is at 4 TB and growing at
100 GB a month. I still use three internal backup drives, two are WD 4
TB green drives and one is a WD 8 TB white drive...
Forum: Storage (alt) March 15th 18, 02:08 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Lynn McGuire[_3_]
Do you stress test your new drives?

On 3/12/2018 9:39 PM, Ant wrote:
Just wondering. My friend does. I wonder if I should do that too.

Thank you in advance. :)

Nope. I backup all LAN drives daily to three internal drives and...
Forum: Storage (alt) March 14th 18, 07:48 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Lynn McGuire[_3_]
"HDD vs SSD: What Does the Future for Storage Hold? — Part 2"

"HDD vs SSD: What Does the Future for Storage Hold? — Part 2"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hdd-vs-ssd-in-data-centers/

"Western Digital claims that its competing microwave-assisted magnetic...
Forum: Storage (alt) March 6th 18, 06:21 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Lynn McGuire[_3_]
"HDD vs SSD: What Does the Future for Storage Hold?"

"HDD vs SSD: What Does the Future for Storage Hold?"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/ssd-vs-hdd-future-of-storage/

Pretty much what I thought.

Lynn
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 2nd 18, 03:06 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Lynn McGuire[_3_]
"Windows 7 computers won’t receive security updates without antivirus scanner"

"Windows 7 computers won’t receive security updates without antivirus
scanner"

https://www.myce.com/news/windows-7-dont-receive-security-updates-without-antivirus-scanner-83815/

"Windows 7...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 8th 18, 09:47 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Lynn McGuire[_3_]
"Warning: Microsoft's Meltdown and Spectre patch is bricking some AMDPCs"

"Warning: Microsoft's Meltdown and Spectre patch is bricking some AMD PCs"

https://betanews.com/2018/01/08/microsoft-meltdown-spectre-patch-bricks-amd-pcs/

Jumping out of the frying pan into the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 5th 18, 07:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Lynn McGuire[_3_]
"Major chip flaws affect billions of devices"

On 1/4/2018 10:03 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"Major chip flaws affect billions of devices"

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/03/technology/computer-chip-flaw-security/index.html

"Called...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 5th 18, 04:03 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Lynn McGuire[_3_]
"Major chip flaws affect billions of devices"

"Major chip flaws affect billions of devices"

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/03/technology/computer-chip-flaw-security/index.html

"Called Meltdown and Spectre, the flaws exist in processors, a...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 26th 17, 10:24 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Posted By Lynn McGuire[_3_]
NVIDIA is gearing up to end 32-bit OS support

On 12/26/2017 4:03 PM, Paul wrote:
Lynn McGuire wrote:
On 12/24/2017 7:15 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:[i]

Full story: