Search: Posts made by: VanguardLH[_2_]
Forum: Storage (alt) October 17th 18, 01:28 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By VanguardLH[_2_]
"Hard Drive Stats for Q3 2018: Less is More"

Lynn McGuire wrote:

On 10/16/2018 3:45 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
Lynn McGuire wrote:

"Hard Drive Stats for Q3 2018: Less is More"
Forum: Storage (alt) October 16th 18, 09:45 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Lynn McGuire wrote:

"Hard Drive Stats for Q3 2018: Less is More"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/2018-hard-drive-failire-rates/

"As of September 30, 2018 Backblaze had 99,636 spinning...
Forum: Intel October 16th 18, 05:15 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.windows7.general
Posted By VanguardLH[_2_]
Intel CPU prices going up?

Chris wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 13:54:39 -0400, Wolf K

On 2018-10-15 13:36, VanguardLH wrote:
Forum: General October 16th 18, 05:15 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.windows7.general
Posted By VanguardLH[_2_]
Intel CPU prices going up?

On 2018-10-15 13:36, VanguardLH wrote:
Forum: General October 15th 18, 10:33 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.windows7.general
Posted By VanguardLH[_2_]
Intel CPU prices going up?

Wolf K wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

The future can only be predicted, not observed (at which point it
becomes history).

... and the predictions are calculated probabilities,
Forum: General October 15th 18, 06:36 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.windows7.general
Posted By VanguardLH[_2_]
Intel CPU prices going up?

Yousuf Khan wrote:

Intel's processor prices have been going up recently, rather than down.
They're blaming it on production problems. Intel has been well known to
be stuck on the 14nm node...
Forum: General October 15th 18, 06:19 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.windows7.general
Posted By VanguardLH[_2_]
Intel CPU prices going up?

On 2018-10-15 9:13 a.m., Yousuf Khan wrote:
Intel's processor prices have been going up recently, rather than down.
They're blaming it on production problems. Intel has...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 12th 18, 01:13 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By VanguardLH[_2_]
SSD and sleep mode?

VanguardLH wrote:

Mike wrote:

Got any better free ideas on what to configure for optimum SSD life beyond
what's shown in SSD Fresh?

You still need a paging file, even if only a small...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 12th 18, 12:28 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By VanguardLH[_2_]
SSD and sleep mode?

Mike wrote:

Got any better free ideas on what to configure for optimum SSD life beyond
what's shown in SSD Fresh?

You still need a paging file, even if only a small one. If you have...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 12th 18, 12:04 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By VanguardLH[_2_]
SSD and sleep mode?

Mike wrote:

I got this email today claiming that sleep mode is hard on a SSD.
I could understand that hibernate is hard on a SSD, but sleep mode?
My system sleeps maybe a dozen times a day. ...
Forum: General September 27th 18, 07:58 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Posted By VanguardLH[_2_]
Bluetooth Receiver/Transmitter

tb wrote:

I have a Bluetooth headset but my PC does not have Bluetooth
capability.

Bluetooth USB...
Forum: Storage (alt) September 21st 18, 01:50 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By VanguardLH[_2_]
"Hard Disk Drive (HDD) vs Solid State Drive (SSD): What’s the Diff?"

Lynn McGuire wrote:

"Hard Disk Drive (HDD) vs Solid State Drive (SSD): Whats the Diff?"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hdd-versus-ssd-whats-the-diff/

"If youre still using a computer...
Forum: Storage (alt) September 11th 18, 06:11 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By VanguardLH[_2_]
"Seagate Announces 14TB Barracuda Pro, IronWolf, And IronWolf Pro"

Lynn McGuire wrote:

"Seagate Announces 14TB Barracuda Pro, IronWolf, And IronWolf Pro"

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/seagate-14tb-hdd-ironwolf-barracuda-pro,37768.html

"Seagate's...
Forum: General August 26th 18, 03:12 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Posted By VanguardLH[_2_]
SD card problems

Mike S wrote:

On 8/25/2018 1:34 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
Mike S wrote:

I think the card is junk and the EBAY seller isn't responding, I'll
chalk it up to learning not to...
Forum: General August 25th 18, 09:34 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Posted By VanguardLH[_2_]
SD card problems

Mike S wrote:

I think the card is junk and the EBAY seller isn't responding, I'll
chalk it up to learning not to bottom-feed.

You could start a return process at eBay whether the seller agrees...
Forum: General August 25th 18, 07:02 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Posted By VanguardLH[_2_]
SD card problems

Did you yet try the CrystalDiskMark tool to see what it says for various
file sizes used in the different tests?

If you get the same behavior on your friend's PC, I'd say try another
$15 64GB SD...
Forum: General August 24th 18, 07:21 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Posted By VanguardLH[_2_]
SD card problems

Mike S wrote:

SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC

https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards/microsd-cards/ultra-microsd-48mbs

They only list the read speed (48 MB/s), not the write speed. All...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 20th 18, 01:12 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By VanguardLH[_2_]
Kaspersky saves the day

John B. Smith wrote:

Last night, Saturday, I went to shut off my head phones and heard a
voice coming thru: "We're microsoft your computer is ****ed. If you
attempt to turn it off without...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 9th 18, 09:47 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By VanguardLH[_2_]
"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

Remapping (redirection from old bad sectors/blocks to the spare
sectors/blocks in the reserve space) is done in the firmware of the
drive (although the OS can direct the firmware to flag a...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 9th 18, 09:45 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By VanguardLH[_2_]
"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

Bill wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

Users just don't understand about surge current on start or thermal wear
from heating and cooling repeatedly. For example, ever hear someone
recommend to...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 9th 18, 06:54 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By VanguardLH[_2_]
"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

mike wrote:

How's the reliability [of SSDs]? I'm still reading that they fail
catastrophically without warning.

Most have an estimated lifespan of 10 years, maybe more. For some
users, that's...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 9th 18, 03:22 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Lynn McGuire wrote:

"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/cheap-ssds-are-killing-hard_drives,37563.html

"Its been years since I was willing to...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 1st 18, 10:41 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By VanguardLH[_2_]
USB 3.0 hub question

Yes wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

Yes wrote:

I'm thinking about buying a USB 3.0 external hub for my pc. I'm
looking for one that has about an...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 1st 18, 07:48 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By VanguardLH[_2_]
USB 3.0 hub question

Yes wrote:

I'm thinking about buying a USB 3.0 external hub for my pc. I'm
looking for one that has about an 18 to 20 inch cable length and will
use the older 3.0 USB connectors (Type A ???)....
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 1st 18, 07:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By VanguardLH[_2_]
USB 3.0 hub question