Search: Posts made by: Geoff
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 20th 14, 05:34 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Geoff
New build questions

New builds to start with:
http://www.tomshardware.com/system-configuration-recommendation-55.html
http://www.pcper.com/hwlb (scroll half way down)
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 21st 13, 06:41 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Geoff
“We cannot trust” Intel and Via’s chip-based crypto, FreeBSD developers say

Can you remember back in the days of CRT monitors, that you could not buy
one with full electromagnetic shielding?
Because to the NSA/GCHQ/Mossad the noise generated by a CRT was as
good as a...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 16th 13, 05:38 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Geoff
Win 7 end of sales

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/lifecycle#section_2

operating system Date of general availability Retail software end of
sales

Windows 7 October...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 16th 13, 05:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Geoff
IE11

The IE11 update breaks gadgets in Win 7, and the Win 7 gadget page says
gadgets are discontinued. The page then talks about Win 8 and how wonderful
it is.

It seems like another Win 8 marketing...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 27th 13, 04:00 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Geoff
Newegg

you'll have return problems.

I ordered a book from Amazon one time and a reseller sent me a used book but
charged the new book price. I sent the book back and after a lot of back
and forth,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 27th 13, 03:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Geoff
Newegg

I ordered some items from Newegg and noticed that one item is coming from a
reseller. I tried resellers on Amazon and generally (99.9% of the time) had
bad experiences. I learned that if Amazon...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 2nd 13, 11:55 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Geoff
Snowden didn't tell us this one ...

The article, as written, isn't even worth commenting on.

The only reason I know about it is because the local news cited the article.
They did that because Lenovo has a large operation here. If...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 2nd 13, 09:23 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Geoff
Snowden didn't tell us this one ...

Spy agencies ban Lenovo PCs on security concerns
http://www.afr.com/p/technology/spy_agencies_ban_lenovo_pcs_on_security_HVgcKTHp4bIA4ulCPqC7SL
'A technology expert ... said the globalisation of the...
Forum: Asus Motherboards July 5th 13, 12:41 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 6
Posted By Geoff
Computer Weirdness

I avoid using any Asus utility software ...

My machine had one BSOD and when streaming Bloomberg, the video seem to get
worse over time, so, I completely removed AISuite (the ASUS tool), even...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 3rd 13, 02:31 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Geoff
Carl Icahn Speaking about Dell and PCs

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000179878&play=1
'We really want to be involved in this company. We think there's great
potential in it. I think there's been a lot of drum beating, the PC...
Forum: Asus Motherboards June 20th 13, 02:37 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 6
Posted By Geoff
Computer Weirdness

Things seem to be stable now. I updated the BIOS to the latest, updated all
the drivers from the ASUS website, and uninstalled the AI Suite components
except the monitor and system information. ...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 26th 13, 05:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Geoff
Haswell + DDR4

Any performance boost over Ivy Bridge + DDR3 to make one say, 'WOW!'?

.... or

Will one say, 'Ya well, ho-hum, at least I got the latest stuff'.
Forum: Asus Motherboards May 24th 13, 03:16 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 6
Posted By Geoff
Computer Weirdness

I also experienced random internet disconnects.

"geoff" wrote in message:
.... I started getting seemingly unrelated issues like:
- Adobe Flash crashes in FireFox
- FireFox trying, but failing, to...
Forum: Asus Motherboards May 24th 13, 02:26 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 6
Posted By Geoff
Computer Weirdness

I cleared the CMOS RTC RAM and loaded the BIOS defaults. However, most of
the BIOS is on 'auto' (voltages, AI Overclock, etc.). I changed two things:
- Set the SATA mode to AHCI for my SSD.
-...
Forum: Asus Motherboards May 23rd 13, 07:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 6
Posted By Geoff
Computer Weirdness

HW:
MB: P8Z77-M
CPU: Core-i3, 3.3 ghz, Ivy Bridge
16 gigs ram
Intel SSD
WD-HDD
Win7-64 bit

Everything played nice for like four months, then I started getting
seemingly unrelated issues like:
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 16th 13, 07:55 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Geoff
solar flare resistant PC cases ?

A friend of mine keeps his USB drives in biscuit tins, to protect
against a monster solar flare.

I hired a crane to place a large faraday box over my house . . .
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 13th 13, 06:37 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Geoff
Hotel security using wireless

My brother stayed in a hotel in downtown Atlanta and used their wireless for
like $30. When he attended a meeting in the hotel conference room, the
wireless kicked out. So, he carried his laptop...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 7th 13, 04:30 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Geoff
Mobile vs Desktop

http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/07/tablets-vs-smartphones-page-views/
March 7th, 2013
'Of course both mobile device types [tablets and smartphones] still account
for a fraction of the total share of...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 6th 13, 08:41 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Geoff
Mobile vs Desktop

It seems there's a new round of 'Mobile is King!' and 'The PC is Dead!'
stories in the news:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/apr/04/microsoft-smartphones-tablets

.. . . but no one will...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 11th 13, 07:32 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Geoff
Router Wireless Security

Here is the router I'm using:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10521&cs_id=1052102&p_id=8070&seq=1&format=2

.... others have said it is similar to a WinStar router. The...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 11th 13, 03:35 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Geoff
Router Wireless Security

I have a standard wireless router. The wireless part is used for a device
connected to the TV. I made the password moderately strong because the
neighborhood is middle class, meaning everyone has...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 8th 12, 07:43 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Geoff
Intel says it remains committed to user-replaceable CPUs for "foreseeable future"

You'd think Intel could at least give each of us ...

You need a mobile device:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zei9HpygMN4

.... and be sure to password...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 7th 12, 03:56 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Geoff
Intel says it remains committed to user-replaceable CPUs for "foreseeable future"

http://www.zdnet.com/intel-says-it-remains-committed-to-user-replaceable-cpus-for-foreseeable-future-7000008485/
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 6th 12, 11:44 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Geoff
Touch Screens

On Hawaii Five-0, one of the police detectives goes to the lab and the tech
starts using his 24-inch or so touch screen monitor, clicking windows 8
tiles. I thought, ok, looks cool, so, I looked...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 28th 12, 01:12 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Geoff
Windows 8 Sightings

McGarrett (Hawaii Five-0) got to work the Bing-Tablet this week and made a
Skype call.