Search: Posts made by: (PeteCresswell)
Forum: Gigbyte Motherboards March 5th 18, 11:26 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Replies: 3
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
Socket LGA-1155k: all the same?

Per Paul in Houston TX:
This is the page for i5, 2400, z77...
Forum: Gigbyte Motherboards March 5th 18, 05:40 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Replies: 3
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
Socket LGA-1155k: all the same?

Family member has an HP 8200
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017S118BI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which, as far as I can figure, has an Intel Core i5-2400 socket LGA-1155 CPU
in...
Forum: Gigbyte Motherboards May 29th 17, 02:40 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Replies: 1
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
EP45-UD3L: Support for 64-Bit Windows?

I'm reading Giga's specs, but can't find anything that specifically says
64-bit.

Currently running XP and now I need to "Upgrade" to accommodate the
latest rev of SageTV.

Quotes for obvious (?)...
Forum: Gigbyte Motherboards January 20th 17, 10:53 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Replies: 2
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
Mobo Recommendation?

I want to replace the Mobo/CPU on a DriveBender box that has been giving
me fits.

My 24-7 PC has a Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H-CF in it.

I am perfectly happy with that board and would buy a second one...
Forum: Gigbyte Motherboards February 16th 16, 04:53 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Replies: 1
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
Upgrade from Z87X-UD4H-CF mobo, socket 1150 LGA.?

I currently have a Z87X-UD4H-CF mobo, socket 1150 LGA, running at 3.5
GHz with 16 gigs of memory. 64-bit Windows 7, running from a SDD.

The Question:
Has hardware progressed yet to where I...
Forum: Asus Motherboards November 22nd 15, 12:53 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 2
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
UX302L: Keeping Battery at 50% ?

Recently read some credible comments to the effect that Li batteries
last longer if kept at 50% rather than 100%.

My UX302L rarely goes off of AC and when it does it usually needs to
last less than...
Forum: Gigbyte Motherboards May 15th 15, 01:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Replies: 2
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
Z87X-UD4H-CF: Mix Memory Sizes?

Per Paul:
And are you absolutely sure you need the memory ?
Did you check for "peak usage" on the machine,
and decide you regularly go over 8GB ?

"Absolutely" is too strong a word, but when I...
Forum: Gigbyte Motherboards May 14th 15, 09:52 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Replies: 2
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
Z87X-UD4H-CF: Mix Memory Sizes?

Z87X-UD4H-CF mobo, socket 1150 LGA.

Currently have 8 gigs occupying 2 slots (i.e. 2 4-gig memory module)

2 more slots are currently empty.

If I add memory, do I have to add two more 4-giggers?

Or...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 19th 15, 04:07 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
$mft problem anyone?

Per VanguardLH:
There are drives that actually have a USB interface on them? Haven't
seen or heard of one. I have seen and used USB-attached hard disks but
they have a SATA interface to connects...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 18th 15, 02:34 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
$mft problem anyone?

Per John Doe:
Always keep a backup copy (or two) of important data. That is
doubly true when things start going wrong or when doing major
operations.

After one experience, I expanded that to...
Forum: Storage (alt) March 14th 15, 05:37 PM Posted to atl.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 26
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
10TB Hard Drive, can't even be accessed by modern OS's yet!

Per Drew:
Why would a home user need 10,000 gigabytes of storage? By the time you
fill it something new would come along or it would die first.

Movies and recorded TV.

My movies are on a 10-TB...
Forum: Asus Motherboards November 8th 14, 03:50 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 3
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
PA248 Monitor: Assigning "1" & "2" Butons To Inputs?

Per Paul:
If the Input Select menu is on the screen, you make an
Input Selection, then hit a Shortcut key (Shortcut 1 or Shortcut 2),
does it remember that ? I suppose the best you could hope...
Forum: Asus Motherboards November 7th 14, 05:35 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 3
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
PA248 Monitor: Assigning "1" & "2" Butons To Inputs?

I hop back-and-forth between two inputs a *lot*.

Seems like I should be able to set the PA248 up so that pressing the "1"
button selects one input and pressing the "2" button selects another.

I've...
Forum: Asus Motherboards November 6th 14, 06:56 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 1
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
.BAT File To Re-Enable USB Device?

My Zenbook is set to hibernate if cover closed with no external power,
but do nothing if cover closed with external power connected.

When I close the cover and then disconnect external power, it...
Forum: Asus Motherboards September 26th 14, 04:00 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 2
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
ZenBook on AC: Battery Still Supplying Power?

The Real Question: Am I extending my battery's lifetime by running on AC
whenever possible, or is it the same as running the battery down and
re-charging?

i.e. When running on AC, is the battery...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 8th 14, 06:25 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Replies: 50
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
OT Should the police search your smartphone/tablet?

Per PAS:
Police departments have changed over the years like our government has.
They seek more control over us like the government does. They are becoming
more and more militarized.

To me, it...
Forum: Gigbyte Motherboards June 29th 14, 07:19 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Replies: 1
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
NIC Has Gotten Slow?

Z87X-UD4H-CF

Been measuring it with a utility that copies a test file to a
destination on another device and back again.

Seems to me like it used to be well into the hundreds of Mbps.

Most recent...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 27th 14, 03:41 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,free.usenet,free.spirit
Replies: 50
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
OT Should the police search your smartphone/tablet?

Per John Doe:
Some strange troll...

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment on the misspelling of "Steal".
--
Pete Cresswell
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 27th 14, 03:40 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Replies: 50
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
OT Should the police search your smartphone/tablet?

Per PAS:
...and Lord knows what happens to cops who
expose the wrongdoing of other cops.

My takeaway from reading the Wambaugh novels is the police do not *hire*
misanthropes.

Instead, police...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 26th 14, 08:18 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,free.usenet,free.spirit
Replies: 50
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
OT Should the police search your smartphone/tablet?

Per John Doe:
I would bet that the percentage of bad cops roughly parallels the
percentage of bad people.

I would agree - with emphasis on "roughly".

I'm guessing police work attracts a certain...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 26th 14, 08:13 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android
Replies: 50
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
OT Should the police search your smartphone/tablet?

Per Edmund:
companies that manage to steel our private data.

CANDIDATE FOR A PULLET SURPRISE

I have a spelling checker.
It came with my PC.
It plane lee...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 20th 14, 09:53 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
OT Can you do this with a tablet?

Per Tim Rude:
What I find works better is to connect the tablet to both an HDMI
monitor/TV and also a regular keyboard and mouse. I connect mine to a
wireless KB and mouse combo that share the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 19th 14, 02:26 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android
Replies: 50
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
OT Should the police search your smartphone/tablet?

Per PAS:
My phone is locked and they're not getting the code from me.

That's the first thing that popped into my mind when I read about the
case. I would assume that situation is being addressed...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 4th 14, 10:06 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,free.usenet,free.spirit
Replies: 49
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
Smartphone to PC file transfer?

Per John Doe:
Requiring a file manager
with LAN isn't my idea of easy file transfer between devices. Easy
file transfer between devices is when the device shows up like a
USB flash drive shows...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 4th 14, 08:05 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Replies: 49
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
Smartphone to PC file transfer?

Per John Doe:
Have they figured out that copying data is a fundamental part of
computing? My iPhone 3G does not easily copy files to/from a PC.
My next smartphone definitely will. That's just...