Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 6th 18, 07:42 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
another 1920x1200 LCD problem

On Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 11:43:35 PM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36555

Here is a composite picture with some labels.

Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 5th 18, 11:25 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
another 1920x1200 LCD problem

I had a Samsung 2443 sitting in a cupboard for ages. I plugged it in to a
laptop using VGA cable, and screen is blank. If I shine a torch onto the
screen, I can see the image, meaning the backlight...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 30th 18, 01:26 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Sandy Bridge SATA degradation flaw

The 67 chipsets SATA (3 Gbps) ports were supposed to fail over time.
I still have several PCs with 67 chipsets. I don't know what stepping
they are (old or fixed).
So how to tell? Would plugging in...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 25th 18, 12:34 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
USB to VGA/DVI adapters - ever used one?

On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 10:25:53 PM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

It's for adding a low-performance graphics output to
a computer.

A stock trader could use four of them, for example,
and...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 24th 18, 02:39 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
USB to VGA/DVI adapters - ever used one?

I have seen them with USB3, then I came across one with USB2! Must be
awfully slow. I wonder what you would use it for.
One place I worked had a cluster with a chilled water heat exchanger
stuck...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 10th 18, 11:34 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
does H77 chipset (Ivy Bridge) need heat sink?

I got a used Dell XPS 8500. Trying to find out the motherboard model,
Dell website no help. But I see mainboards for this PC advertised on
various sites. There are 2 different photos in these...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 5th 18, 01:01 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
RAM temperature sensors needed soon.

On Monday, November 5, 2018 at 4:15:04 PM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

The hottest memories were RAMBUS. But there was a
reason for that. Each memory chip was sufficient to
answer all queries. You...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 14th 18, 05:16 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
why different BIOS for Windows and Linux?

I got a mainboard out of an Acer X3995, I wished to recycle.
First had to figure out the pins for the front panel switch and LEDs.
Going to Acer website, they have 4 BIOS to download:
2 for Win8, 1...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 22nd 18, 11:49 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
how many tape drives had SATA interface??

I bought an internal DLT drive at a computer swap meet, thinking it was
SAS interface. When I got it home, I found it was actually SATA.
Quantum made them with SCSI, SATA or even USB.
Nowadays you...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 15th 18, 09:19 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Intel's "9th gen" CPUs

Interesting series of leaks and rumours. So they will still be 14 nm, in
effect a Coffee Lake facelift, but with more cores for little more dollars
than previous generation. So they are still worried...
Forum: Storage (alt) August 26th 18, 02:26 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By [email protected]
using SAS SSD - what's best config?

I notice with SAS backplanes, you typically have a cage for 6 drives on one
side, and two 4-lane cables on the other. So it is sharing bandwith.
Maybe suffices for spinning rust, but would this be a...
Forum: Storage (alt) August 19th 18, 03:33 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By [email protected]
"Intel's first 'ruler' SSD holds 32TB"

On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 5:15:15 AM UTC+8, Mark Perkins wrote:

"Awesome", I said, even while acknowledging that I have no way to use
that particular form factor. Here's hoping the tech...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 13th 18, 02:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
will we see 2.5/5 Gbps ethernet??

Seems to me to be a real need for this.
If you're pulling data off an NAS at 1 Gbps, that is lukewarm green disk speed.
But 10 Gbps is pushing **** uphill over old cables.
If 2.5GBASE-T hardware were...
Forum: Storage (alt) June 30th 18, 12:20 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By [email protected]
How could 192 TB be squeezed on a half-inch tape?

Perusing the future LTO standards, there is LTO-12 192 TB (uncompressed).
Currently at LTO-8 with 12 TB. I believe LTO-10 48 TB will happen, but
after that seems to be a wish list.
Forum: Storage (alt) June 15th 18, 02:34 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By [email protected]
claimed SCSI (parallel) speeds

Looking online for SCSI host bus adapters, I saw one supposed to
Ultra 160, but is a PCI card (limit 133 megs)
So maybe okay for disks, but if you tried an LTO-5 tape drive,
ahem would it not...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 10th 18, 01:33 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
PC with multiple organ failures

I was asked to check out a PC that wouldn't boot. It powered itself off
after a second. It looked like mainboard was kaput. Then I checked out
all the bits I removed. Both DIMMs were bad, and one...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 9th 18, 04:33 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Win10 ISO on archive.org??

On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 8:50:11 AM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

You can use a download agent that opens multiple
connections, but this normally isn't required for
Win10 OS discs. The content...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 9th 18, 12:53 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Win10 ISO on archive.org??

On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 2:23:56 AM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

Use the Heidoc URL generator.

You can get any release version of Windows 10 you want.
The URL created, will point to a Microsoft...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 8th 18, 02:37 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Win10 ISO on archive.org??

My partner has a old HP PC, that was originally sold with Win7. It is
unfit for latest version of Win10. In another forum, it was suggested to
stay with 1703 version if you had it.
Microsoft...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 4th 18, 04:56 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Intel's Cannon Lake (10 nm) delayed

LONG time coming. Samsung is making 10 nm stuff, but Intel claims their
10 nm is denser than Samsung's. It seems Intel, AMD, Samsung have different
definitions of nm lithography.
So far, there is a...
Forum: General May 19th 18, 12:06 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Posted By [email protected]
overheat under Memtest

I checked out an old PC - Core 2 quad. About 2 minutes of Memtest and the
CPU fan is going full scream. After 5 minutes, the heat sink is hot to
touch, so I turned it off. I believe Memtest only uses...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 14th 18, 11:44 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
[BBC] IBM workers banned from using USB sticks

On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 11:20:19 AM UTC+8, Jason wrote:

I recall a few years ago reading that the Pentagon had
such a policy in place and had filled USB sockets with
epoxy to enforce...
Forum: Storage (alt) May 6th 18, 02:27 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By [email protected]
"The Helium Factor and Hard Drive Failure Rates"

On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 12:36:12 AM UTC+8, wrote:

Depends what they can get cheap. They might experiment with another
noble gas--or they might try hydrogen. Then again, solid...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 14th 18, 10:40 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
AVENTUM 3 PC most expensive rig?

http://www.digitalstorm.com/aventum-3.asp

who the **** buys something like this?

the same sort of person who drives an Audi Q7
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 8th 18, 12:39 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Win10 refuses to update due to Avira what is gone

On Friday, April 6, 2018 at 10:08:47 PM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

Do you have an exact copy of the error message ?
You could try popping that into Google and see
what others have run into.