Search: Posts made by: BillW50
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 23rd 14, 10:40 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Posted By BillW50
Thermal glue/grease for filling gaps?

In ,
John Doe typed:
Before installing a heatsink. I would like to fill in some gaps
around the heat pipes that are sandwiched between an aluminum and
copper...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 26th 14, 11:56 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android
Posted By BillW50
Bluetooth headset (speakers and mic) recommendation?

On 5/26/2014 5:21 PM, John Doe wrote:
Maybe I should forget Bluetooth, if the microphone input sucks.

Definitely need to hear examples on YouTube or wherever.

Well I am not up on all of them,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 16th 14, 06:37 AM Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows-xp,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By BillW50
Major new development in Windows 98 RAM memory capability patch has been discovered!

In ,
98 Guy" "98 typed:
BillW50 wrote:

Have you actually found Windows 98SE benefit from more than 64MB
of RAM?

That is such a dumb question.

I...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 15th 14, 03:41 PM Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows-xp,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By BillW50
Major new development in Windows 98 RAM memory capability patch has been discovered!

In ,
98 Guy typed:
Any questions? Comments?

Post them! No censorship here!

Have you actually found Windows 98SE benefit from more than 64MB of RAM?
I only...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 6th 14, 09:43 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Posted By BillW50
OT Tablets are cheap!

On 05/06/2014 12:20 PM, John Doe wrote:
"BillW50" BillW50 aol.kom wrote:

Michael Black typed:
John Doe wrote:

Shipping was extremely fast (two days). The shipping packaging
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 6th 14, 10:53 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Posted By BillW50
OT Tablets are cheap!

In ,
Michael Black typed:
On Mon, 5 May 2014, John Doe wrote:

Shipping was extremely fast (two days). The shipping packaging was
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 5th 14, 10:01 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Posted By BillW50
OT Tablets are cheap!

In ,
John Doe typed:
I went with a factory refurbished Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8" plus a
64 GB micro SD card for a total of $200. I'm certain that the
Galaxy is...
Forum: Gateway Computers April 29th 14, 03:24 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Replies: 5
Posted By BillW50
Assistance Please

On 4/26/2014 6:27 PM, Lee wrote:
I have looked and looked but nothing seems to work. It is weird Can't
right click on Desktop nothing happens, no icons at all. they all
ended up in the...
Forum: Gateway Computers April 26th 14, 10:03 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Replies: 5
Posted By BillW50
Assistance Please

On 4/24/2014 6:42 AM, Lee wrote:
Hi BillW50, when I right click on the desktop nothing happens at all. I do
have the tool bar but much prefer having the icons. For some reason I
always get...
Forum: Gateway Computers March 30th 14, 03:05 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Replies: 5
Posted By BillW50
Assistance Please

In ,
Lee typed:
I am running my Gateway on Vista and the other day I had a crash and
was able to recover from it but now my desktop screen is missing all
the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 18th 14, 02:02 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Posted By BillW50
First Terabyte-class SSD's released!

On Tue, 18 Mar 2014 09:21:28 -0400, Yousuf Khan
wrote:
Micron/Crucial M550 SSD Review
StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews
Forum: Gateway Computers March 12th 14, 06:04 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Replies: 3
Posted By BillW50
A question

On 3/12/2014 10:44 AM, Lee wrote:
I am running Vista on my computer and on numerous
occasions when I right click on ie trash or some other
items the sand timer just keeps on going and nothing
Forum: Dell Computers March 3rd 14, 02:13 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 31
Posted By BillW50
GNU/Linux a viable alternative to Windows?

On 3/2/2014 8:06 PM, Steve Urbach wrote:
Most distributions have Live CD's. Download the ISO, Burn the CD/DVD. Then
Boot it for a full experience without installing

Pull your Windows drive out...
Forum: Dell Computers March 2nd 14, 09:51 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 31
Posted By BillW50
GNU/Linux a viable alternative to Windows?

On 3/2/2014 3:35 PM, BillW50 wrote:
The Media Center came with Windows Home, Pro, and I
forgot what else.

That should be Windows 7 Home, Pro...

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird...
Replies: 31
Posted By BillW50
GNU/Linux a viable alternative to Windows?

On 3/2/2014 3:21 PM, Larry wrote:
On Sunday, March 2, 2014 12:13:50 PM UTC-7, BillW50 wrote:
On 3/2/2014 12:29 PM, Larry wrote:

Looking to slowly change from Windows to Linux.

Why?...
Forum: Dell Computers March 2nd 14, 09:35 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 31
Posted By BillW50
GNU/Linux a viable alternative to Windows?

On 3/2/2014 3:27 PM, Larry wrote:
Bill,

My understanding is Windows Media Player was not included with Windows 8. I believe it was offered free for a short time. Don't know about Windows...
Forum: Dell Computers March 2nd 14, 08:41 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

On 3/2/2014 2:21 PM, Ben Myers wrote:
On Sunday, March 2, 2014 2:13:50 PM UTC-5, BillW50 wrote:
On 3/2/2014 12:29 PM, Larry wrote:

Looking to slowly change from Windows to Linux.

Forum: Dell Computers March 2nd 14, 08:17 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 31
Posted By BillW50
GNU/Linux a viable alternative to Windows?

On 3/2/2014 2:14 PM, Ben Myers wrote:
With either of these, you get LibreOffice with a full complement of document, spreadsheet, presentation and data base capabilities. LibreOffice operates a lot...
Forum: Dell Computers March 2nd 14, 07:13 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 31
Posted By BillW50
GNU/Linux a viable alternative to Windows?

On 3/2/2014 12:29 PM, Larry wrote:
Looking to slowly change from Windows to Linux.

Why? Every time I run Linux I am so very disappointed. So what's your angle?

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) -...

In ,
John Doe typed:
I know it was recommended, but I can't find the thread. As I recall,
it was in the Windows 7 group, but I would use it in 8 as well.

It's...
Forum: Intel February 23rd 14, 11:49 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.windows7.general
Replies: 40
Posted By BillW50
How many x86 instructions?

On 2/23/2014 5:45 PM, Gene E. Bloch wrote:
On 2/23/2014, J. P. Gilliver (John) posted:
In message , charlie
writes:
[]
At the time, the...
Forum: Intel February 23rd 14, 11:15 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.windows7.general
Replies: 40
Posted By BillW50
How many x86 instructions?

On 2/23/2014 4:41 PM, charlie wrote:
The front panel on many of the old mainframes and minicomputers allowed
direct entry of machine code, and was usually used to manually enter
such things as...
Forum: Dell Computers February 9th 14, 08:51 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Posted By BillW50
How to know fan speeds on a Dell

"micky" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Feb 2014 01:46:14 -0500, micky
wrote:

How to know...
Forum: Dell Computers February 2nd 14, 06:03 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Posted By BillW50
Dell Venue 8 Pro - Win8.1

On 2/2/2014 11:21 AM, mobilelawyer wrote:
On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 05:29:43 -0600, wrote:

On 2/1/2014 9:52 PM, ps56k wrote:
I happen to see this has been reduced in...
Forum: Dell Computers February 2nd 14, 11:29 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Posted By BillW50
Dell Venue 8 Pro - Win8.1

On 2/1/2014 9:52 PM, ps56k wrote:
I happen to see this has been reduced in price at the Microsoft store.
Just wondering if anyone has played with one...
- Dell Venue 8" Pro - Win8.1

You might...