Search: Posts made by: Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Forum: Intel January 23rd 18, 08:04 AM Posted to alt.os.linux,comp.sys.intel
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
AMD Threadripper nested page tables are disaster

On 8/31/2017 9:01 AM, Nomen Nescio wrote:
a huge bug
AMD shot themselves in the foot
last time I buy any of their ****

Looks like the nested page tables are what prevent them from being...
Forum: Storage (alt) January 11th 18, 02:19 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Why is a smaller folder taking longer to be backed up than alarger one?

On 1/10/2018 6:59 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
Same help shown when I run "vssadmin /?" on Windows 7. You probably
need a server version of Windows to get the "create shadow" directive in
vssadmin (I...
Forum: Storage (alt) January 10th 18, 11:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Why is a smaller folder taking longer to be backed up than alarger one?

On 1/9/2018 3:25 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
Is VSC (Volume Shadow Copy) Service aka VSS enabled in your Windows? Go
into the services manager (services.msc) and check "Volume Shadow Copy"
service...
Forum: Storage (alt) January 10th 18, 11:04 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Why is a smaller folder taking longer to be backed up than alarger one?

On 1/9/2018 3:25 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
Disable your anti-virus and redo the backup to see if the AV was getting
in the way. Do you have more than one anti-virus or anti-malware
program...
Forum: Storage (alt) January 10th 18, 10:41 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Why is a smaller folder taking longer to be backed up than alarger one?

On 1/10/2018 1:08 AM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 1/9/2018 2:15 AM, Paul wrote:
To establish baseline performance, you can use Robocopy to copy the
files to a RAMdisk. That should expose any source...
Forum: Storage (alt) January 10th 18, 06:08 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Why is a smaller folder taking longer to be backed up than alarger one?

On 1/9/2018 2:15 AM, Paul wrote:
Now, does it use VSS for that ? Probably.
To freeze the volume before starting the backup, such
that any files still changing, don't get their latest version
Forum: Storage (alt) January 9th 18, 06:36 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Why is a smaller folder taking longer to be backed up than a largerone?

Okay, so I do daily Macrium file backups of my entire User folder, with
monthly fulls at the beginning of each month. All except one specific
subfolder which takes longer than all of the rest of...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 30th 17, 03:51 AM Posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
How to view what the hard drive is doing?

On 15/10/2016 1:32 PM, David B wrote:
On 15-Oct-16 6:16 AM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 12/10/2016 6:03 PM, [email protected] wrote:
Hi,

Often when I'm just sitting there reading or doing something...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 30th 17, 03:47 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Intel to announce Coffee Lake during solar eclipse?

On 27/08/2017 5:58 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 12:54:10 AM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

There are people, who will use these extra cores to advantage.
Workstation...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 30th 17, 03:41 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Laptop charger?

On 26/11/2017 6:57 AM, Paul wrote:
I checked mine on the Kill-A-Watt. I always wanted one of these,
but had to wait until a retailer here started carrying them.

Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 30th 17, 03:36 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Laptop charger?

On 26/11/2017 12:29 AM, Flasherly wrote:
Here's an example, from Toshiba, of (some) logic characteristics of a
charger part#;- you may find yours or use it (and others) for broader
relevance.
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 25th 17, 03:28 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Laptop charger?

On 22/11/2017 12:41 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
I realize this is not really a homebuilt PC question, but it is a PC
hardware question. I got a laptop that doesn't seem to charge its
battery while...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 25th 17, 02:49 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Windows 10 can swallow total hardware change?

On 25/11/2017 7:07 PM, wrote:
I have avoided most versions of Windows. I recall with older versions,
if you took a Windows hard drive and plugged it in to a different PC,
it...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 24th 17, 11:42 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Laptop charger?

On 24/11/2017 11:31 AM, Flasherly wrote:
If by both - aside from running without a battery, not to charge
properly while running*with* one - yeah, that's empirical hands-on,
something has...
Forum: Storage (alt) November 23rd 17, 05:10 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Do those disk wipe utilities make a difference in an SSD?

On 20/11/2017 2:00 PM, Ed Light wrote:
My Kingston SSD's software has a wipe the disk option.

Seems like if you filled up the capacity of the disk with random stuff
it would get everything....
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 23rd 17, 02:01 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Laptop charger?

On 22/11/2017 8:51 PM, Flasherly wrote:
It may be the charger function is intended for most of its duty with
the laptop in an off state. Will it run the laptop alone, with the
battery pulled...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 22nd 17, 10:40 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
new version 57 of FireFox today

On 20/11/2017 12:45 PM, PeterC wrote:
Anyway, Moonchild's Basilisk is available in Alpha form: it's as fast as
Quantum and opens on about 300MB of RAM. It seems to use some more as tabs
are...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 22nd 17, 10:36 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Laptop charger?

On 22/11/2017 12:52 PM, Paul wrote:
A couple questions:

1) Are you using an "Ebay adapter" instead of the
original adapter ? Did the original adapter have three
contacts (maybe a...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 22nd 17, 06:41 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Laptop charger?

I realize this is not really a homebuilt PC question, but it is a PC
hardware question. I got a laptop that doesn't seem to charge its
battery while it's running. You need to completely shutdown...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 20th 17, 03:51 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
new version 57 of FireFox today

On 15/11/2017 6:31 PM, Mark wrote:
If it really is faster, that's great. I nearly stopped using Firefox
because of the poor performance.

I never had any problems with Firefox performance (until...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 20th 17, 03:48 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
limitation of SODIMMs (fewer pins)?

On 18/11/2017 6:39 PM, wrote:
I was tearing down a HP all-in-one ****box, and noticed that it used
SO-DIMMs, like a notebook. Now, these have 204 pins, versus 240 for desktop
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 20th 17, 03:43 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
hard disk transfer speed changed

On 20/11/2017 8:25 AM, Paul wrote:
You're in PIO mode.

This shouldn't happen.

When there is a measurable error rate, the driver scheme
changes transfer rates, in an attempt to reduce...
Forum: Storage (alt) November 20th 17, 03:39 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Do those disk wipe utilities make a difference in an SSD?

I've been wondering does it even make sense to have a disk or file wipe
utility in an SSD? Written data doesn't even get written to the same
blocks that the previously read data was in an SSD. So...
Forum: Storage (alt) November 13th 17, 12:09 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
SSD health check utilities?

On 28/10/2017 3:39 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
I installed a 128GB mSATA SSD in a ThinkPad T430 to use for HD caching
and for hibernation. HDSentinel shows its health as 82%. SSDLife, on the...
Forum: Storage (alt) September 27th 17, 03:56 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By Yousuf Khan[_2_]
No RPM given?

I have one of those drives, and S.M.A.R.T. reports a nominal speed of
5980rpm.

BTW, what field of SMART reports the speed?