Search: Posts made by: cpliu
Forum: Storage (alt) February 18th 13, 09:21 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By cpliu
Working Seagate 3TB recognzied as Removable Disk all of a sudden

Good news. I opened the enclosure and reconnects the HD to the enclosure, and it mounted right away. It might be a loose connection although screws on both sides were tight. Enclosure is 3rd party so...
Forum: Storage (alt) February 18th 13, 08:26 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By cpliu
Working Seagate 3TB recognzied as Removable Disk all of a sudden

I have this Seagate 3TB HD working for a few months now. I originally formatted the drive using Seagate DiscWizard on Windows 7 at office. It works fine on my office PC and home PC (XP 64-bit). I was...
Forum: Storage (alt) August 9th 11, 04:03 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By cpliu
External USB HD only works with a specific cable

Thank you all for the help. I found later that the connection on HD is
a little bit loose. If I push the USB cable down (at where it's
connected to the HD), the HD would be recognized without any...
Forum: Storage (alt) July 24th 11, 07:06 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By cpliu
External USB HD only works with a specific cable

I have a refurbished Hitachi 2TB external HD. Before I had it replaced
(I broke the first one of the same model), it's fine with all the
cables I have. With the refurbished one, it only works with...
Forum: Storage (alt) April 18th 11, 11:05 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By cpliu
delay/freeze when copying files in the background

I built a new system using i7 930. It works fine except that every
time when I copy something (whether from one HD to another or through
network), there is a long delay or freeze in the foreground...
Forum: Cdr January 16th 11, 04:01 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Replies: 3
Posted By cpliu
how to tell if an external DVD drive SATA or IDE?

Thank you all for the help. It's IDE as Mike indicated.
Forum: Cdr January 12th 11, 12:50 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Replies: 3
Posted By cpliu
how to tell if an external DVD drive SATA or IDE?

I have a Philips spd3600cc that I'd like to find out if it's SATA. I
can't from its properties. So can I find out that information?

Thanks,
Forum: Storage (alt) November 19th 10, 03:11 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By cpliu
eSATA cable

I just purchased a Lacie drive with eSata cable. It worked right away,
but it stopped working that the disk just disappeared from desktop in
the middle of copying. eSata does not appear that stable!!
Forum: Storage (alt) October 7th 10, 11:01 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By cpliu
Where to buy a screw driver head with 6-nodes?

Yes, it's torx. Thank you all for the info and places to buy.
Forum: Storage (alt) October 7th 10, 10:58 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By cpliu
eSATA cable

You've tried it on a laptop? *What laptop has an external SATA or
eSATA port?

Asus G50Vt-X1 I bought almost 2 years ago.

Thank you all. I will tried th esuggestions people mentioned when...
Forum: Storage (alt) October 7th 10, 10:55 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By cpliu
USB2 cable and speed of transfer

Thank you all for the information.
Forum: Storage (alt) September 30th 10, 12:56 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By cpliu
eSATA cable

I bought a eSATA cable trying to take advantage of the extra speed
with the interface. I can't never get the external drive recognized.
Even if I took enclosure off and push the connection all the...
Forum: Storage (alt) September 30th 10, 12:49 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By cpliu
USB2 cable and speed of transfer

I noticed that the cables sold now has USB2 on it. I have old ones
(and new ones) and they work fine. I wonder is a difference in
transfer speed between old and new cables. If so, is there a way...
Forum: Storage (alt) September 30th 10, 12:47 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By cpliu
Where to buy a screw driver head with 6-nodes?

I have to open an external HD enclosure with unusual screws. They have
6 nodes like flowers and is rather small. My toolkit does not have it.
It looks like the last one in...
Forum: Storage (alt) August 15th 10, 06:11 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By cpliu
External DVD recognized as removable disk

Fixed. I forgot that I changed it to slave for working on another PC.
Once I changed it back to Master, it's working properly now.
Forum: Storage (alt) August 15th 10, 05:53 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By cpliu
External DVD recognized as removable disk

I have this setup (generic internal DVD writer put in a external case
with firwire connection) that worked fine in the past. I took the DVD
out and connected to another PC so I could install a game...
Forum: Storage (alt) June 12th 10, 12:06 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By cpliu
how to mount an external 2TB USB HD on 32-bit XP

On Jun 11, 12:05*pm, Lynn McGuire wrote:
I tried to mount drive but it can't see this SATA inside a external
USB case. Is there a driver I need to install in order to see...
Forum: Storage (alt) June 9th 10, 07:17 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By cpliu
how to mount an external 2TB USB HD on 32-bit XP

Looks like its the bridge in the external case thats the problem.
Does that mean it's impossible to mount that drive on this PC. The
same case with 500GB HD works fine with this system. 2TB also...
Forum: Storage (alt) June 9th 10, 03:17 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By cpliu
how to mount an external 2TB USB HD on 32-bit XP

1TB and 500TB work fine on this PC running Windows XP SP2. It also
dual-boot to Windows 7. Both are 32-bit. Processor: AMD Athlon 64
3200+

Thanks for the help!
Forum: Storage (alt) June 8th 10, 06:16 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By cpliu
how to mount an external 2TB USB HD on 32-bit XP

You may want to post the brand and part number of the SATA-USB
converter chip, either here or at USBman.com or EverythingUSB.com. *Do
500-1,000GB HDs work?

It's Hitachi 2TB internal drive put...
Forum: Storage (alt) June 8th 10, 04:18 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By cpliu
how to mount an external 2TB USB HD on 32-bit XP

I tried to mount drive but it can't see this SATA inside a external
USB case. Is there a driver I need to install in order to see it?

Thanks,
Forum: Storage (alt) June 11th 08, 09:09 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By cpliu
reliable HD above 500GB?

There are some big drives that sell really cheap. e.g external Cavalry
500GB for $80, Maxtor OneTouch 4 750GB for $135, Seagate etc. They're
either unknown brand, e.g. Cavalry or receiving bad user...
Forum: Storage (alt) June 11th 08, 06:17 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By cpliu
program to mount a HD with broken index (?)?

Update: I've formatted it on Vista and using it as my backup drive. If
I mount it on Vista, it asks to check the integrity of the disk every
time. I skip it each time. Mounting on XP is not a...
Forum: Storage (alt) May 18th 08, 04:15 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By cpliu
program to mount a HD with broken index (?)?

The easiest solution is to get an RMA number from the website. *If the
procedure there requires a failed SMART status or other failed status,
sometimes it helps to claim the disk is not...
Forum: Storage (alt) May 18th 08, 03:49 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By cpliu
program to mount a HD with broken index (?)?

On May 15, 7:47*pm, Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously cpliu wrote:
So this is a hardware problem and not a system problem? I can retreive
the files...