Forum: Storage (alt) June 30th 18, 12:20 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By [email protected]
How could 192 TB be squeezed on a half-inch tape?

Perusing the future LTO standards, there is LTO-12 192 TB (uncompressed).
Currently at LTO-8 with 12 TB. I believe LTO-10 48 TB will happen, but
after that seems to be a wish list.
Forum: Storage (alt) June 15th 18, 02:34 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By [email protected]
claimed SCSI (parallel) speeds

Looking online for SCSI host bus adapters, I saw one supposed to
Ultra 160, but is a PCI card (limit 133 megs)
So maybe okay for disks, but if you tried an LTO-5 tape drive,
ahem would it not...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 10th 18, 01:33 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
PC with multiple organ failures

I was asked to check out a PC that wouldn't boot. It powered itself off
after a second. It looked like mainboard was kaput. Then I checked out
all the bits I removed. Both DIMMs were bad, and one...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 9th 18, 04:33 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Win10 ISO on archive.org??

On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 8:50:11 AM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

You can use a download agent that opens multiple
connections, but this normally isn't required for
Win10 OS discs. The content...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 9th 18, 12:53 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Win10 ISO on archive.org??

On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 2:23:56 AM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

Use the Heidoc URL generator.

You can get any release version of Windows 10 you want.
The URL created, will point to a Microsoft...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 8th 18, 02:37 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Win10 ISO on archive.org??

My partner has a old HP PC, that was originally sold with Win7. It is
unfit for latest version of Win10. In another forum, it was suggested to
stay with 1703 version if you had it.
Microsoft...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 4th 18, 04:56 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Intel's Cannon Lake (10 nm) delayed

LONG time coming. Samsung is making 10 nm stuff, but Intel claims their
10 nm is denser than Samsung's. It seems Intel, AMD, Samsung have different
definitions of nm lithography.
So far, there is a...
Forum: General May 19th 18, 12:06 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Posted By [email protected]
overheat under Memtest

I checked out an old PC - Core 2 quad. About 2 minutes of Memtest and the
CPU fan is going full scream. After 5 minutes, the heat sink is hot to
touch, so I turned it off. I believe Memtest only uses...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 14th 18, 11:44 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
[BBC] IBM workers banned from using USB sticks

On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 11:20:19 AM UTC+8, Jason wrote:

I recall a few years ago reading that the Pentagon had
such a policy in place and had filled USB sockets with
epoxy to enforce...
Forum: Storage (alt) May 6th 18, 02:27 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By [email protected]
"The Helium Factor and Hard Drive Failure Rates"

On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 12:36:12 AM UTC+8, wrote:

Depends what they can get cheap. They might experiment with another
noble gas--or they might try hydrogen. Then again, solid...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 14th 18, 10:40 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
AVENTUM 3 PC most expensive rig?

http://www.digitalstorm.com/aventum-3.asp

who the **** buys something like this?

the same sort of person who drives an Audi Q7
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 8th 18, 12:39 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Win10 refuses to update due to Avira what is gone

On Friday, April 6, 2018 at 10:08:47 PM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

Do you have an exact copy of the error message ?
You could try popping that into Google and see
what others have run into.
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 7th 18, 02:10 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Win10 refuses to update due to Avira what is gone

On Friday, April 6, 2018 at 10:08:47 PM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

Do you have an exact copy of the error message ?
You could try popping that into Google and see
what others have run into.

Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 6th 18, 02:13 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Win10 refuses to update due to Avira what is gone

For a while Windows update failed because it detected Avira, apparently
not being on the whitelist for Spectre-Meltdown protection.
Now had uninstalled Avira years ago. There were no Avira...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 30th 18, 12:08 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
How strong is the glass used in those beautiful computer chassis?

On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 11:53:31 PM UTC+8, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
Imagine you put the chassis under your table.

Can those glass panels take an accidental kick? Would they shatter?...
Forum: Storage (alt) March 25th 18, 12:19 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Posted By [email protected]
why be mobile "performance" HDD smaller capacity?

I had a laptop with 2 WD Scorpio Black drives, and it seemed quite
impressive. That was only 750 GB. Seagate's rival Barracuda Pro goes
up to 1000 GB. Whereas a plain 2.5 inch drive goes up to a 2...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 11th 18, 11:30 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
"Windows 7 computers won’t receive security updates without antivirus scanner"

On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 11:12:27 AM UTC+8, Loren Pechtel wrote:

The intent is not to block those who don't have AV, but to block those
whose AV isn't compatible with the patches.

Only...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 18th 18, 01:50 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Solar storm could strike Earth Thursday: What you need to know

On Saturday, February 17, 2018 at 12:56:46 AM UTC+8, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 16/2/2018 21:16, [email protected] wrote:
I keep my USB drives in a metal box, just in case.

Unless you...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 16th 18, 01:16 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Solar storm could strike Earth Thursday: What you need to know

I keep my USB drives in a metal box, just in case.
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 6th 18, 08:34 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
HD question consumer grade and enterprise grade

lookup this:
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2017/
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 3rd 18, 10:15 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Intel got better Vega GPU than Raven Ridge????

https://wccftech.com/amd-raven-ridge-ryzen-apu-vega-gpu-graphics-performance/

note paragraph:
The results also showcase performance of the RX Vega M GL chip which has been featured on the Intel 8th...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 9th 18, 10:52 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
"Warning: Microsoft's Meltdown and Spectre patch is bricking someAMD PCs"

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 5:47:16 AM UTC+8, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"Warning: Microsoft's Meltdown and Spectre patch is bricking some AMD PCs"

Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 26th 17, 10:48 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Bitcoin/cryptos are pyramid/chain games. New "mail/letter-chain"to paralyze the internet.

On Saturday, December 23, 2017 at 10:15:52 PM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

Ethereum will be switching from "regular mining" pretty soon.
And their algorithm uses a lot more memory for a blockchain
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 24th 17, 03:51 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
plug in USB drive = reboot

On Saturday, December 23, 2017 at 4:24:24 PM UTC+8, Paul wrote:
different models of Antec cases (these are from years ago).

My recommendation on an Antec, is to either buzz out
the front...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 23rd 17, 01:38 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted By [email protected]
Bitcoin/cryptos are pyramid/chain games. New "mail/letter-chain"to paralyze the internet.

well fortunately, Bitcoin has nose-dived this week.
So perhaps miners will stop buying PC hardware.

https://www.marke****ch.com/story/stocks-even-remotely-connected-to-cryptocurrency-drop-2017-12-22