Old October 17th 15, 05:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.sys.laptops
Adam

Default cannot power "on" ASUS laptop after power outage

"Adam" wrote in message

"DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 11:33:13 -0700, "Adam" Gave us:

System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)
Host OS: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

After a power outage yesterday, pressing the power button of
ASUS laptop does nothing. The laptop was/is connected to
an APC battery backup (surge protection only) outlet (via AC adapter).
AC adapter's green light is "on".

Any ideas?

I did a simple google search...

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...er+requirement

It yielded listings for where to get replacement 90W adapters, but
scrolling down the page shows a lot of chatroom queries surrounding
problems with this particular laptop and its batteries and power supply.

It also lists the circumstances under which the failure modes are
occurring.

It would appear that the battery "watchdog" circuitry Asus
incorporated into at least this model of their laptop line has some
problems.

A slight dip in the output of the power adapter or even too much
ripple voltage presented by it when loaded may be what is going on.

The new ones seemed to only be $12 to $15. It might cause less hair
loss to simply get a new one. It is always nice to have backup power
supplies in the "dongle" or "wallwart" realm anyway, since most are
ultrasonically sealed and unserviceable.

Thanks (NumeroUno), you're right. A new AC adapter did the trick.
Nothing else seems to be wrong with my laptop.

But, the reviews for the Antec NP90 that I bought is not that great and
was not cheap ($40+). But, it has AQ3 (3-year parts & labor) warranty.
Any Universal 90W Notebook Power Adapter 19V recommendations?

More info ... the Antec NP90 gets quite "hot", which is a bit worrisome.
But, good news is that the battery pack seems to be in good condition.
It took about 45 minutes to fully charge. And, battery feels cool to the
touch,
which is good to have as little heat as possible.

Also, how can I prevent this from happening again?
The problem is with the power circuitry internal to the ASUS laptop,
right?