Serial ATA: Western Digital or Seagate?

Old February 26th 04, 04:20 AM
Zed

Default Serial ATA: Western Digital or Seagate?

Seagate claims their drives fulfill all of the SATA specs and WD (and
Maxtor) don't. I have owned 2 Seagate HD's for a long time with no problems.
What would people go with recommendation-wise for a 120GB SATA drive?

---

Old February 27th 04, 04:18 AM
Guess Who

I had 2 x 120Gb Seagate SATA discs that worked without problem for over 7
months. Not as quiet as they lead you to believe, and VERY hot. But they
worked fine.

I then upgraded to 2 x 160GB Seagate SATA drives. After only a day, I got
tons of file/disk errors on one of the drives, and Seagate's drive checking
utility reported the drive had failed. I packed it up and returned it to
the store for an exchange. Happily, both of the drives have been working
fine and error free for the past 3 months.

Like any other brand, some are bound to fail. I am partial to Seagate now,
as they went out of their way and provided me with 2 SATA drives FREE after
complaining about their availability. That was excellent protocol on their
part, in my opinion.

. ..

Old February 29th 04, 10:21 PM
Adam Trace Spragg

Guess Who wrote:
: Like any other brand, some are bound to fail. I am partial to Seagate now,
: as they went out of their way and provided me with 2 SATA drives FREE after
: complaining about their availability. That was excellent protocol on their
: part, in my opinion.

Wait a second... you complained to Seagate about the (I'm assuming lack of)
availability of their drives, and they sent you some for free?!

I might have to start trying this...

Adam