A Computer hardware and components forum. ComputerBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ComputerBanter.com forum » Video Cards » Nvidia Videocards
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Video Card Stops Responding



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 8th 15, 01:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Shoe[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Video Card Stops Responding

Nvidia GT750 card, 358.50 driver, windows 7 home premium 64 bit. Once
or twice a day the screen goes black for a few seconds and then a
message saying that video driver has stopped responding and has
recovered. This has been happening for some time. I have updated to
the latest driver and have completely removed and re-installed the
driver with no change. I have no idea how to troubleshoot this as I am
getting no other error messages. Any suggestions?
  #2  
Old October 8th 15, 03:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13,411
Default Video Card Stops Responding

Shoe wrote:
Nvidia GT750 card, 358.50 driver, windows 7 home premium 64 bit. Once
or twice a day the screen goes black for a few seconds and then a
message saying that video driver has stopped responding and has
recovered. This has been happening for some time. I have updated to
the latest driver and have completely removed and re-installed the
driver with no change. I have no idea how to troubleshoot this as I am
getting no other error messages. Any suggestions?


The failures here, seem to fit two themes.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...screen-issues/

Failures while gaming, stability improves if the
factory overclock is removed. One link off this page
suggests MSI Afterburner as a tool.

*******

At the other end of the spectrum, is idle performance.
At one time, video cards had just two performance levels,
and peak to idle power ratios of 2:1 or so. It's possible
a modern video card has more power states than that. Video
cards can drop to 3W, which is barely enough to keep the
RAM on the card powered.

If that was the case, you would want to find a way to stop
the card from entering the lowest power state. Or change
the frequency or voltage settings associated with that state.
While this particular control doesn't have any options, you
might try fiddling with this.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answe...um-performance

Paul
  #3  
Old October 8th 15, 06:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Shoe[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Video Card Stops Responding

On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 10:14:53 -0400, Paul wrote:

Shoe wrote:
Nvidia GT750 card, 358.50 driver, windows 7 home premium 64 bit. Once
or twice a day the screen goes black for a few seconds and then a
message saying that video driver has stopped responding and has
recovered. This has been happening for some time. I have updated to
the latest driver and have completely removed and re-installed the
driver with no change. I have no idea how to troubleshoot this as I am
getting no other error messages. Any suggestions?


The failures here, seem to fit two themes.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...screen-issues/

Failures while gaming, stability improves if the
factory overclock is removed. One link off this page
suggests MSI Afterburner as a tool.

*******

At the other end of the spectrum, is idle performance.
At one time, video cards had just two performance levels,
and peak to idle power ratios of 2:1 or so. It's possible
a modern video card has more power states than that. Video
cards can drop to 3W, which is barely enough to keep the
RAM on the card powered.

If that was the case, you would want to find a way to stop
the card from entering the lowest power state. Or change
the frequency or voltage settings associated with that state.
While this particular control doesn't have any options, you
might try fiddling with this.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answe...um-performance

Paul


I forgot to mention that I had the same problem with my GT640 so
upgraded to the 750 but did not solve the problem. I briefly tested an
AMD card and had no problems with it.
  #4  
Old October 8th 15, 06:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13,411
Default Video Card Stops Responding

Shoe wrote:
On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 10:14:53 -0400, Paul wrote:

Shoe wrote:
Nvidia GT750 card, 358.50 driver, windows 7 home premium 64 bit. Once
or twice a day the screen goes black for a few seconds and then a
message saying that video driver has stopped responding and has
recovered. This has been happening for some time. I have updated to
the latest driver and have completely removed and re-installed the
driver with no change. I have no idea how to troubleshoot this as I am
getting no other error messages. Any suggestions?

The failures here, seem to fit two themes.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...screen-issues/

Failures while gaming, stability improves if the
factory overclock is removed. One link off this page
suggests MSI Afterburner as a tool.

*******

At the other end of the spectrum, is idle performance.
At one time, video cards had just two performance levels,
and peak to idle power ratios of 2:1 or so. It's possible
a modern video card has more power states than that. Video
cards can drop to 3W, which is barely enough to keep the
RAM on the card powered.

If that was the case, you would want to find a way to stop
the card from entering the lowest power state. Or change
the frequency or voltage settings associated with that state.
While this particular control doesn't have any options, you
might try fiddling with this.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answe...um-performance

Paul


I forgot to mention that I had the same problem with my GT640 so
upgraded to the 750 but did not solve the problem. I briefly tested an
AMD card and had no problems with it.


Have you tried driver uninstall, reboot (back to 640x480),
followed by video driver reinstall ? Make sure you have
the new driver in hand, in a folder that is easy to get
to, because running 640x480 with no video driver isn't
that much fun.

The problem with that recipe, is getting the registry cleaned
out. Drivers tend to "remember" old settings in the registry
and the registry does not get flushed. This is a flaw in Microsoft
design, which on uninstallation, should be asking "clean the registry?",
so that the user could answer "Yes" and all your troubles would
be forgotten.

There used to be driver cleaners, but I don't know if there
is a current one you can trust. I used one years ago, just
for kicks.

Paul
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USB stops responding [email protected] General 8 March 21st 06 01:42 PM
Scanner or Printer Not Responding, or Stops Responding On USB Ports Jerry Greenberg General Hardware 0 August 4th 04 01:35 AM
Scanner or Printer Not Responding, or Stops Responding On USB Ports Jerry Greenberg General Hardware 0 August 2nd 04 10:34 PM
v.92/v.34 Modem stops responding after 5 minutes Bo General Hardware 4 April 14th 04 03:13 PM
USB mouse stops responding after reboot on Toshiba laptop Yousuf Khan General 2 February 8th 04 03:28 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 ComputerBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.