Over Clocking Utility - problem with Rage3d Tweak

Old January 18th 05, 02:19 AM
DrWho

Default Over Clocking Utility - problem with Rage3d Tweak

I am having a problem with Rage3D Tweak. When I come out of a game that
runs with the VPU&memory overclocked, I get back to the desktop with no
problem, but then the machine freezes, and the VPU recover comes up and
says "no worries, I've reset the VPU for ya". Then everything is fine.
Why is the VPU locking when R3D Tweak tries to bring the clock rates
back down to the defaults?

The same thing happens with the offical 4.12 Cats, and the brand
spankin' new 5.1 Cats. I stopped using the Omega 4.12 drivers because
I was having other problems them. The official Cats work great
(including fixing the problems that the Omega drivers were giving me),
but now there's this VPU locking problem when quiting from games.

I am playing PainKiller - Battle out of Hell. The default speeds for my
9700non-pro are CPU/Mem: 276/270. I have run FutureMark as high as
375/303 with no problems, but I am only running PainKiller at 344/288.

Any suggestions? Is this a know problem with a solution? Should I try
some other OC'ing utility? Recommendations?

Thanks!

--
DrWho

Abit KX7-333R
XP2700/333
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200 CAS 2.0
ATI 9700non-pro
Two 80GB WD 7200/8MB in a RAID0
Windows XP (SP2)
Old January 18th 05, 03:36 AM
First of One

If you are clocked so high that one app works (3DMark) while another does
not (Painkiller), then the card is on the verge of instability.

And why are you trying to bring the clock speed back down after a game? Just
leave it constant at one speed that works for all your games.

RadClocker works just as well, and doesn't come with as much bloat as
Rage3D.

. ..

Old January 18th 05, 05:06 AM
Don Burnette

DrWho wrote:
[...]

ATI Tool is very good for overclocking, you can set the overclock for 3d
mode only, so it goes to that when you launch a game, and returns to default
in 2d.

Btw, I have VPU recover turned off..

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."