Dual core prices - Intel vs AMD

Old June 12th 06, 09:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Dual core prices - Intel vs AMD

Looking at UK dual core prices Intel seem to be much cheaper than AMD ?
Novatech - http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p...x1y0z1p0s0n0m0
Intel prices range from 85.67 to 318.41. AMD Seem to go from 199.50 to
436.34 Traditionaly Intel were allways more expensive so why the turnaround
?

I am looking to build my next system and am a bit out of touch with prices
etc over the last 12 months or so.

Cheers

JB

Old June 12th 06, 10:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Bishman" wrote in message
Looking at UK dual core prices Intel seem to be much cheaper than AMD ?
Novatech - http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p...x1y0z1p0s0n0m0
Intel prices range from 85.67 to 318.41. AMD Seem to go from 199.50 to
436.34 Traditionaly Intel were allways more expensive so why the
turnaround ?

I am looking to build my next system and am a bit out of touch with
prices etc over the last 12 months or so.

Cheers

JB

AMD has been kicking Intel's ASS, performance wise, for years. They are
quickly becoming the #1 choice of processor, for most builders. High
Demand. AMD is also ramping up production to meet that demand, but they
aren't there yet. Supply and demand. AMD has the better chip, still aren't
producing it in large enough quantitities, but everybody wants it. Thus the
prices are up. Ironically, Intel procs might be considered a budget buy
now. -Dave

Old June 13th 06, 12:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Intel just dropped their current dual core CPU prices 60%, because in five
weeks they are offering the NEW DUO CORE 2 processors that will be more
efficient, more powerful and run much cooler! I would wait for one.

--
DaveW

----------------

Old June 13th 06, 04:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Hi,

don't just look for brands.

First I would check what you want to achieve:

an office space / computer room device
a home computer

check the CPU's power envelopes:
the more heat a CPU is generating, the more you need to cool
the more you need to cool, the louder the system gets (unless you do water
cooling with inductively driven impellers....).

What do you need:
sp/dif in, or spdif in _and_out (a must for rendering through a stereo
system, e.g. B&O).

do you need lots of usb? can you get away with a hub?

do you need multiple gfx cards (pci-e?)

Once you have your needs package done,
check for MBs that support that.

Between those then, check for least poser used for MB and processor.

Then the MB will dictate what CPU to use.

Starting with the CPU is kind of dressing the horse from the tail forward,
funny but bot efficient!

Mike

-----------------
-----------------
Old June 13th 06, 03:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Personally, I would (and did) go at it the other way. There's only a few
choices to make regarding a processor (basically, AMD or Intel, and socket).
Once you determine that, you eliminate roughly 50% of the motherboards out
there, because they won't work with whichever one you select. Then
determine if you'll need high-end graphics capabilities (i.e. Crossfire for
ATI, SLI for NVidia). If you do, you eliminate a bunch more possibilities,
and need to pick which graphics family you want to use. If not, you can go
on to the features you talk about.

The USB and sound issues can be dealt with a card add-in, if required. I'd
suggest that if you're that into the sound options, a separate card is
probably in order anyway, rather than using the on-board sound. Cooling can
be dealt with in a number of ways; neither AMD or Intel provide terribly
efficient or quiet cooling solutions (IMHO) on their current generation
processors.

Clint

news

Old June 13th 06, 05:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 21:09:35 +0000, Dave wrote:

AMD has been kicking Intel's ASS, performance wise, for years.

That's about to change very soon when Intel releases Conroe.
Old June 13th 06, 05:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Gank" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 21:09:35 +0000, Dave wrote:

AMD has been kicking Intel's ASS, performance wise, for years.

That's about to change very soon when Intel releases Conroe.

Yup. Intel might regain the performance crown, for a few months. It won't
reduce the demand for AMD chips at all, though. -Dave

Old June 13th 06, 08:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Interesting, thanks for the responses.

Firstly on pricing. I have allways gone AMD, as I percieved them to be
cheaper, per Horse Power, and I like to back the underdog ! I must say
Intel are looking tempting based on feedback from the group. I want to build
a Media Centre PC so I believe any dual core will do the job fine. Single
core would as well, but for 85 it would be rude not to.

As far as hardware selection goes, I tend to take the later approach. I want
the max horse power for a price I believe to be reasonable, usually mid
range. I want a MB that takes the selected CPU, with as many features as I
can get for again a reasonable price, usually about 90 quid. After that the
rest looks after itself.

Cheers.

JB

news:[email protected]