Power surge killed iiyama 18" TFT, any comments on Dell 20" offer

Old December 31st 05, 09:13 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Default Power surge killed iiyama 18" TFT, any comments on Dell 20" offer

We had a power cut this afternoon, so I switched the power switch off
to the study when my PC equipment is and only powered on the ring main
after the power was restored.

But just my luck that my iiyama 4637 18" TFT packed up over the power
outage, so I am using a standby monitor.

Anyway, Dell are doing a:

Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20" widescreen LCD Flat Panel Monitor.
300cd/m2 brightness, 600:1 contrast, 16ms response time. Midnight Grey
TCO99
507.60 reduced to 381.58 incl. VAT, shipping [You Save 126.02]

Monitor size and type : 20" (51.0cm) active matrix TFT
Resolution : 1680 x 1050 (WSXGA+)
Response time / Brightness / Contrast Ratio : 16ms / 300cd/m2 / 600:1
Dimensions h x w x d : 391 / 491 (compressed / extended) x 472 x 230mm
Weight : 7.9 kg
Inputs : Analogue / Digital / S-Video / Composite
Height adjustable stand / Audio capability : Yes (100mm travel) /
Optional AS500 soundbar
VESA mounting compatible / Security slot : Yes (100mm) / Yes
Integrated powered USB 2.0 hub : 4 downstream / 1 upstream ports
Warranty : 3 year next business day exchange

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna...=&refurbished=

Any comments on this Dell monitor?
--
John Perry

http://www.redoak.co.uk
http://www.eze-buy.co.uk
Old January 1st 06, 06:47 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

John Perry wrote:
[...]

I have a similar non-widescreen Dell. It was the cheapest LCD monitor
I could find that did 1600x1200. It's excellent.

--
Chris Green

Old January 1st 06, 07:17 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

"John Perry" wrote in message
We had a power cut this afternoon, so I switched the power switch off
to the study when my PC equipment is and only powered on the ring main
after the power was restored.

But just my luck that my iiyama 4637 18" TFT packed up over the power
outage, so I am using a standby monitor.

Does your house insurance cover that sort of thing? They could be able to
pay for that.

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!

Old January 1st 06, 07:42 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:13:53 +0000, John Perry wrote:

ut just my luck that my iiyama 4637 18" TFT packed up over the power
outage, so I am using a standby monitor.

Check its not just the PSU thats gone?

Lordy

Old January 1st 06, 09:19 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

"John Perry" wrote in message
We had a power cut this afternoon, so I switched the power switch off
to the study when my PC equipment is and only powered on the ring main
after the power was restored.

But just my luck that my iiyama 4637 18" TFT packed up over the power
outage, so I am using a standby monitor.

Was you using a surge protector as we use a Belkin one and it is covered for
damage (just a thought)! When we had several power cuts out TV (Grundig)
picture went strange, I rang the Electricity Company and spoke to a senior
bod who said 'if it happens again, contact them and they will compensate for
the damage' - he gave his name and everything - luckily it corrected itself.

Old January 2nd 06, 01:16 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 18:42:35 GMT, Lordy
wrote:

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:13:53 +0000, John Perry wrote:

ut just my luck that my iiyama 4637 18" TFT packed up over the power
outage, so I am using a standby monitor.

Check its not just the PSU thats gone?

Since it was over 3 years old (cost me a fortune), I took it apart and
checked the circuitry for fuses, but there were none. It has an
internal PSU. I could see nothing burnt out :-(. Thanks for tip
--
John Perry

http://www.redoak.co.uk
http://www.eze-buy.co.uk
Old January 2nd 06, 01:18 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 20:19:17 -0000, "Moon~Shadow"
wrote:

"John Perry" wrote in message
.. .
We had a power cut this afternoon, so I switched the power switch off
to the study when my PC equipment is and only powered on the ring main
after the power was restored.

But just my luck that my iiyama 4637 18" TFT packed up over the power
outage, so I am using a standby monitor.

Was you using a surge protector as we use a Belkin one and it is covered for
damage (just a thought)! When we had several power cuts out TV (Grundig)
picture went strange, I rang the Electricity Company and spoke to a senior
bod who said 'if it happens again, contact them and they will compensate for
the damage' - he gave his name and everything - luckily it corrected itself.

Thanks and I will contact Southern Electric and see what they say. I
think it must have blown when the power went off since I was careful
about restoring the power to the house.

I could do with a whole house surge suppressor, I think as IT kit is
in all rooms.

Thanks for the tip
--
John Perry

http://www.redoak.co.uk
http://www.eze-buy.co.uk
Old January 2nd 06, 01:36 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

John Perry wrote:
[...]

I have one, it's a great monitor, plenty of connections at the back and
usefull USB at the side, I got mine from Aria who were doing it for 320 or
something near.

--
ThePunisher

Old January 2nd 06, 09:34 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

"John Perry" wrote in message
[...]

Been watching Dell for several weeks now and prices are fairly high at the
moment. Possibly worth hanging on for a week or two, if you can. Also you
could use Quidco which gives you about 6% back on Dell purchases.

ts

Old January 2nd 06, 12:29 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 00:36:38 GMT, "ThePunisher"
wrote:

John Perry wrote:
We had a power cut this afternoon, so I switched the power switch off
to the study when my PC equipment is and only powered on the ring main
after the power was restored.

But just my luck that my iiyama 4637 18" TFT packed up over the power
outage, so I am using a standby monitor.

Anyway, Dell are doing a:

Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20" widescreen LCD Flat Panel Monitor.
300cd/m2 brightness, 600:1 contrast, 16ms response time. Midnight Grey
TCO99
507.60 reduced to 381.58 incl. VAT, shipping [You Save 126.02]

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna...=&refurbished=

Any comments on this Dell monitor?

I have one, it's a great monitor, plenty of connections at the back and
usefull USB at the side, I got mine from Aria who were doing it for 320 or
something near.

Thanks and I forgot Aria are good for Dell prices and I have changed
my mind and want a 20" 1600 x 1200 now

Aria do the Grey 2001FP for 422 + Carriage and Dell do it for 442.
But Aria charge 24 for a dead pixel check, so I reckon if I ordered
off Aria and do not specify the dead pixel check, I'd be far more
likely to get dead pixels as the good ones would go to those who pay
the 20 extra.

It is now looking like the Dell 2001FP direct from Dell, and ts thanks
for your tip too.
--
John Perry

http://www.redoak.co.uk