Bios,adding a floppy to a emachine

Old May 24th 05, 06:49 PM

Default Bios,adding a floppy to a emachine

Im trying to add a floppy to my 3 month old T2893. There is no
setting in the Bios to enable the floppy. After many emails with
emachines tech support they finally said maybe removing the CMOS
battery for a few hours would let the pc recconize the floppy.
I dont want to mess the new pc up so does removing the cmos battery
make sense?

Old May 24th 05, 07:30 PM
old jon

wrote in message
ups.com...
Im trying to add a floppy to my 3 month old T2893. There is no
setting in the Bios to enable the floppy. After many emails with
emachines tech support they finally said maybe removing the CMOS
battery for a few hours would let the pc recconize the floppy.
I dont want to mess the new pc up so does removing the cmos battery
make sense?

Removing the battery resets your bios settings to factory defaults. You need
to know why there is no floppy option in the bios. I assume you have options
to start from HD or CD ?. It is possible that you have an extended menu
somewhere in the bios setup. best wishes..J

Old May 24th 05, 08:01 PM
Paul Murphy

wrote in message
ups.com...
Im trying to add a floppy to my 3 month old T2893. There is no
setting in the Bios to enable the floppy. After many emails with
emachines tech support they finally said maybe removing the CMOS
battery for a few hours would let the pc recconize the floppy.
I dont want to mess the new pc up so does removing the cmos battery
make sense?

I wouldn't go removing your BIOS battery unless you know exactly what your
doing due to the need to reset values afterwards. If you're not 100%
confident about what you're doing in this regard I suggest that you note
down ALL of the settings within the BIOS (on each/every page) without
changing any and then get the suppliers tech support dept to "hold your
hand" over the phone to walk you through the process required. Presumably
you are aware that some (cheaper) PCs these days do come with no floppy nor
controller to connect one to? It's possible that this is what you have and
if this is the case you'd need to either buy a separate controller card and
floppy drive or a simpler and cheaper solution would just be an external USB
floppy drive.

Usually the floppy controller enable settings are on the same page where the
time/date is set but it may be elsewhere, check all options carefully
(without changing any unnecessarily).

Paul

Old May 24th 05, 08:32 PM
Terry Turnip

if there is no setting or display in the bios "mines just under my
primary master/primary slave /secondary master/ secondary slave
display lines to show your floppy drive/s then how on earth can cmos
being cleared recognise a floppy drive .??
sounds like theyre talking poop.
i would think a bios update would be the only way to correct this if
theres no parameters for floppy recognition allready.