sk8v, adding drives changes BIOS

Old February 1st 06, 12:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default sk8v, adding drives changes BIOS

Newbie asking:

Is it normal for BIOS settings like Hard Drives and Boot priority changing
after plugging in new drives? I'm no expert, but I thought BIOS needed to
be manually changed. I realize plug and play will auto-recognize, etc., but
I didn't think thse things would alter boot device priority, etc. The
problem I'm currently having is:

- SK8V mobo w/ AMD 65-FX
- 1 (or sometimes 2, same problem either way) SATA internal HD connected to
VIA SATA connectors (OS is on 1st SATA drive)
- 1 IDE Western digital 100 Gb HD ribboned to Blue IDE port on Mobo
- 1 DVD drive ribboned to Black IDE port on Mobo
- 2 separate external USB 2.0 Western Digital 160 Gb hard drives
- Windows XP Pro

After adding or turning on external USB 2.0 hard drives (Western Digital 160
Gb in cases), on the next bootup, BIOS Hard Drive list is changing 1st disk
from the SATA 250 Gb to the IDE 100 Gb drive, returning "no NTDR" or "NTLR"
error (the one that's no valid boot device). The Hard Drive list changes
the IDE drive to be drive 1, and the SATA drive to be drive 2. Also, the
Boot device priority puts the IDE drive as the third option (after DVD drive
and Floppy drive), instead of the SATA drive.

I have manually changed these back over and over again, and now I resort to
entering/checking/changing BIOS before every bootup. The change seems to be
automated with several different scenarios involving unplugging/plugging in
the external drives and booting.

Is it normal that adding drives will change the order of Hard Drives and
also Boot Device priority in BIOS?

I am using most recent BIOS according to ASUS website.

Thanks for any help/advice/comments on this.