Mixed Mode CDRs - audio problem

Old November 11th 03, 02:40 AM
Theo

Default Mixed Mode CDRs - audio problem

"Robert Hancock" wrote in
news:[email protected]:

That's how mixed mode CDs work - the data is in track 1, which shows
up as a silent audio track on an audio CD player. CD Extra works
better, that has the data in a second session after the audio tracks,
so an audio CD player won't see it.

I have some game CDs that have a "warning" message in track 1 to let people
know its not an audio disk, and to press stop. After that there are many
small audio tracks (background music) and one or more data tracks. Would
this be considered a CD Extra?
Old November 11th 03, 09:39 AM
Robert Hancock

No, that's more like a mixed mode, though not the usual arrangement used. CD
Extra has no data tracks visible to an audio CD player (they are in a second
session which an audio CD player will not see at all).

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

Old November 11th 03, 05:26 PM
JasonW

Thanks, I never even noticed that CD Extra was an option, or if I did then I
didn't realize what it was for.

-JasonW

"Robert Hancock" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
That's how mixed mode CDs work - the data is in track 1, which shows up as

silent audio track on an audio CD player. CD Extra works better, that has
the data in a second session after the audio tracks, so an audio CD player
won't see it.

You don't need to use the 2-step method you mentioned in your other post,
you can just select CD Extra in the compilation options.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from
Home Page:
http://www.roberthancock.com/

"JasonW" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s53...
I was trying to create a mixed mode CDR with mostly data and a single

audio
track to let people know that it is a data CD and won't work in an audio
player. After creating the mixed mode disc, The data portion seems to

work
fine, but the audio portion seems to have 2 audio tracks. The first

audio
track has no sound and appears to run forever. The second track is what

wanted as the first and only track. I'm using Nero 5.5.10.35

I didn't see any settings I could change to correct this. Can someone
suggest a way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

-JasonW

Old November 12th 03, 02:35 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have examples of misquotes! )

Mike Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

There's plenty of information on this in the usual references:
...the primer at my WWW site.

Your site sure do have plenty of something:

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(8a)

======================
From: Mike Richter (Lying Scum)
Subject: Lost data on CDs - is it the CD or Roxio's Easy CD Creator
Date: 3/27/02

Even when all the data have been written, the write is not complete.

For reasons discussed in the primer at my site,

the directory information is not written until the disc is ejected.
======================

In that case pressing the computer's RESET button will surely result in
a disaster, won't it, Mikey?

From: DeepOne
Subject: CD-RW Disc broken on DirectCD
Date: 7/9/00

Mike Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

When you load a fixed-length packet disc, the directory information
is read from the disc and translated in RAM. When you write to the
disc, the data are recorded immediately but the directory is updated
only in RAM. When you eject the disc or shut down Windows properly,
the directory information is transformed and written back to the disc.
Therefore, from the time you change something in the (RAM) directory
until that writeback, you can lose the directory if you have a
failure. That failure can be a power transient or a system lockup or
even forcing the disc to eject (in spite of the lock) using hardware.

I don't believe this is true with the latest versions of DirectCD (I'm
using 2.5d with Win98SE).

I've watched the disc write lights on my Plextor drives when ejecting a
DirectCD CD-RW disc, and the drive never does any writing at that time.

Once, in an attempt to prove this, I wrote a bunch of files to a
DirectCD CD-RW disc. As soon as the write pulses ceased,

I pressed the computer's RESET button.

After the computer restarted, the CD-RW disc was fine, and all the files
I had just written were fully accessible.