Nikon LS-2000 firmware upgrade/downgrade

Old December 23rd 03, 06:54 AM
Mirko

Default Nikon LS-2000 firmware upgrade/downgrade

Hello everybody
I apoligise for any possible mistakes in this message.
I own a Nikon LS-2000 scanner. When I purchased it, the firmware version
was 1.2, and the quality of the scanned images was absolutely stunning.
Since the new 1.3 firmware was available on Nikon's website, I decided to
upgrade the scanner, mainly because one of the features of the new firmware
was the speed improvement of the scanning operation.
And it's true, with the 1.3 the scan of a slide takes less then half the
time it used to take with the old firmware... but... unfortunately also the
quality of the scan is less than half the one it used to be !
I've read every possible faq, I've tried every possible setting of the Nikon
scan software, enabled/disabled colour managing options dozens and dozens of
times, but with no success.
Now I would like to downgrade my LS-2000 to the old firmware 1.2. I have
downloaded the program to write the 1.2 firmware in the
scanner, but it obviously checks the version of the scanner's firmware and
aborts saying that it doesn't need to be updated.
Can anyone please help me ? Has anyone had the same problem ?
Thank you in advance for your attention and best wishes for Happy Xmas
Mirko
ilmagnificoREPLACETHISWITHATzapoREPLACETHISWITHDOT net

Old December 23rd 03, 07:35 AM
Mark M

"Mirko" wrote in message
[...]

I've had this same problem, and have basically given up on my LS-2000.
I don't need to try and express the level of frustration/anger I feel about
this...

Old December 23rd 03, 08:18 AM
Ken Weitzel

Hi...

Mark M wrote:
"Mirko" wrote in message

[...]

Just a thought... I don't have one (wish I did! but
perhaps if sufficient numbers of you are disappointed you
just may be able to complain en masse and have Nikon
release a copy that doesn't check prior version?

The best of the holiday to you and to yours.

Ken

Old December 23rd 03, 11:47 AM
Bruce Graham

In article [email protected], says...

"Mirko" wrote in message
[...]

I don't have a LS2000, but have you tried Vuescan? You can get a free
download of the trial version which produces watermarked output but this
should be sufficient to evaluate the scan quality. I use it for nearly
all my scanning (Canon in my case) instead of the mfrs software. He has
ways to trick hardware.

http://www.hamrick.com gets you there. It is only a 1.4M download. The
user interface has a learning curve but is OK once you get used to it.

If you already use it, pls accept my apologies.

Bruce Graham