Symptoms of a Bad Power Supply?

Old February 20th 07, 05:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD

Default Symptoms of a Bad Power Supply?

"JAD" wrote in message news:...
first start at the event viewer in windows admin tools

"Bill" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been having a little problem with my home-built pc lately.
Sometimes my computer will work fine for days on end... other times it
will freeze either before POST, during the Windows XP load screen, or
shortly after I login to Windows.

After I updated all of my drivers the problem persisted.
When I removed every peripheral (video card, sound card, firewire
card, etc.) the problem persisted.
After running every stick of RAM independently the problem remains
persistent.
When I boot up in safe mode, the computer will still freeze.

I've run memtest86 for hours and end and it returned zero errors
(note: when running memtest86, the computer didn't freeze).

I've narrowed it down to either a bad Power Supply, or a Bad MoBo.
Hopefully it's the PSU, because that's still under warranty for the
next 6 months. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone has any idea what
problem may be.

From communicating with Antec's tech support, it's obvious that they

really don't want to RMA the PSU. The tech strongly believes that it's
the Mother Board... but when asked why he believes that it's the MoBo
he wouldn't give me a straight answer. He actually said, "Because I'm
a tech support rep, and I think I know better than you do." He really
did say that, before any sarcasm on my part. He wouldn't give me any
other response, other than my MoBo was most likely bad. Total jerk...
but I digress.

I should also mention that this PSU came stock in an Antec Aria SFF
ATX case, so I really can't go out and buy another PSU because this
particular PSU is specially designed for this case.

I'm about 85% sure that it's the PSU, but I'd appreciate any and all
insight pertaining to this matter.

Thank you in advance.