Logitech SetPoint software causes major slow down of Wolfenstein: The New Blood.

Old May 13th 15, 07:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.lang.borland-delphi,alt.comp.lang.c,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.games.development.programming.algorithms
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Default Logitech SetPoint software causes major slow down of Wolfenstein: The New Blood.

Hello,

I once installed this Logitech Driver which manifests itself as SetPoint.exe
in Task Manager.

I installed it to be able to turn off the side buttons which could be
accidently pressed when browsing weg pages which causes annoying tab
switches.

The driver installation was called: setpoint6.61.15_smart.exe

Anyway I noticed how this SetPoint.exe fluctuated while playing the game
Wolfenstein: The New Blood.

Sometimes SetPoint.exe would take 50% cpu.

Even if it only takes 0% CPU it seems to somehow interfere with the loading
of this game... and also the playing of this game.

Symptoms a

1. Major slowdown of the loading of the game levels.

2. Major stutter during video playback.

3. Major stutter while playing the game.

By simply terminating/end the process for SetPoint.exe

The game becomes very well playable, even on GT 520, 64 bit memory bus.

Other tips to speed up the game a

Set Virtual Texture Cache Size to low.

(Possibly enable compression and cuda acceleration, not sure about this last
one).

Also turn down lodbias to low.

Also turn everything else too low as well.

The cache size must be turned to low manually/custom settings via advanced.

Just choosing "general low settings" doesn't do it... so make sure it says
custom.

At the top or bottom of settings is an "apply" option.

Click it to save it... so scroll up or down to find the apply button.

The game itself is a "context switch" resource hog, it can spawn threads
between 61 to 64 threads.

I think somehow the SetPoint.exe software might be temporarely dead locking
it or cause other lock contention...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 13th 15, 11:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.lang.borland-delphi,alt.comp.lang.c,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.games.development.programming.algorithms
SC Tom

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
[...]

The latest version of SetPoint is 6.65.62. You might try updating to it to
see if it's less intrusive.

Are you using the mouse as a controller in the game? If not, uncheck Enabled
in SetPoint under My Mouse Game Settings Game Detection. There are a few
other settings there that might help also. I don't have that game, so I
can't test it out for you. (How is the game? Decent gameplay?)
--
SC Tom

Old May 13th 15, 02:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.lang.borland-delphi,alt.comp.lang.c,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.games.development.programming.algorithms
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Game was a ****load of fun.

It's probably the coolest shooter I have played so far.

The weapons were awesome and totally over the top.

I also like the slight fantasy elements.

Only thing which make me sad is:

It was pretty short.

And no multiplayer

And challenge AI kinda stupid.

Besides from that highly recommened game for shooter lovers

Anyway...

I am not so sure anymore SetPoint was to blame... I think so... but not
sure...

I think maybe the game executable has some issues now and then...

It's probably generating way too many contexts switches...

And maybe it has memory leaks...

Restarting the executable may help to solve sutter issues.

But I did notice a big improvent as soon as SetPoint was gone.

Also... sometimes CONTROL-ALT-DELETE/switching to task manager can help.

It's like the game's threads get stuck... and somehow triggering task
manager fixes it...

Game is pretty beautifull even on all low.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 13th 15, 03:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.lang.borland-delphi,alt.comp.lang.c,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.games.development.programming.algorithms
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Also this game plays much better then it's predecessor which was called the
new order.

This game is at least twice as good... graphics, guns, sounds and especially
performance.

Twice as good at least ! for me at least it was really enjoyable..

Even on a system from 2006 updated with a graphics card GT 520 years later.

Also my system stuck in 3 GB mode... bios issue... to afraid to update bios.

4GB ram installed in total but can't use all of it...

This game probably needs 4 GB as minimum to function really well...

Otherwise it's memory manager is probably struggling to free memory...as
well as windows's memory manager.

All in all it wasn't too bad.

But I do feel this game has some serious multi threading issues...

At least on AMD X2 3800 Dual Core processor.

I kinda wish they had multiple executables or some kind of configuration to
specifiy how many threads to use or something.

Or just special versions per core-count.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Logitech SetPoint software malfunction? John Doe Homebuilt PC's 5 April 19th 09 09:35 PM
SetPoint software RnR Dell Computers 2 February 10th 07 04:59 PM
Logitech Quickcam Sphere slow ! Olivier Mandavy Webcams 1 May 1st 06 07:49 AM
Logitech MX5000 Cordless Desktop Keyboard / Mouse /SetPoint & PC-DL Deluxe issues? Pheasant Plucker® Asus Motherboards 0 April 20th 06 02:10 PM
Problem installing Logitech Setpoint for Bluetooth Laurent General 1 January 14th 06 05:56 PM