Athlon XP 2500 vs. Sempron 3000 Socket 462

Old February 13th 07, 06:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Chris Lewis

Default Athlon XP 2500 vs. Sempron 3000 Socket 462

Could anyone tell me if a Sempron 3000 is a worthwhile upgrade over an
Athlon XP 2500?

My mother board is socket 462 and will only handle a 333 FSB. There is bios
support for up to a sempron 3000 or an Athlon XP 3000.

Which would be my best buy off eBay if I wanted to upgrade? Also does
anyone know anywhere in the UK with socket 462 processors in stock as new
( I mean semprons here)

Thanks guys

Chris

Old February 13th 07, 07:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Strutter1982

Sempron is basically a cheap version of an Athlon XP processor, so if they
sell one they should sell the other.
The Athlon XP would be the better cpu to buy.

Old February 14th 07, 12:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:31:18 +0000, Chris Lewis wrote:

Could anyone tell me if a Sempron 3000 is a worthwhile upgrade over an
Athlon XP 2500?

My mother board is socket 462 and will only handle a 333 FSB. There is bios
support for up to a sempron 3000 or an Athlon XP 3000.

Which would be my best buy off eBay if I wanted to upgrade? Also does
anyone know anywhere in the UK with socket 462 processors in stock as new
( I mean semprons here)

You're just not going to get an upgrade of any measure unless your MB can
do a 200MHz FSB. Have you tried raising your FSB? What MB do you have?

Old February 14th 07, 02:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul

Chris Lewis wrote:
Could anyone tell me if a Sempron 3000 is a worthwhile upgrade over an
Athlon XP 2500?

My mother board is socket 462 and will only handle a 333 FSB. There is bios
support for up to a sempron 3000 or an Athlon XP 3000.

Which would be my best buy off eBay if I wanted to upgrade? Also does
anyone know anywhere in the UK with socket 462 processors in stock as new
( I mean semprons here)

Thanks guys

Chris

The AMD rating system is a "Performance Rating" or P.R. system.

Athlon P.R. rating compares to Pentium 4 clock speed.
Sempron P.R. rating compares to Intel Celeron clock speed.

Thus, the 3000 rating of a Sempron is not directly comparable
to the 2500 rating of the Athlon.

The devices typically differ in the amount of cache on the processor.

Overclocking your current processor, will do you as much good,
as buying another one.

Paul
Old February 15th 07, 06:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Chris Lewis

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:31:18 +0000, Chris Lewis wrote:

Could anyone tell me if a Sempron 3000 is a worthwhile upgrade over an
Athlon XP 2500?

My mother board is socket 462 and will only handle a 333 FSB. There is
bios
support for up to a sempron 3000 or an Athlon XP 3000.

Which would be my best buy off eBay if I wanted to upgrade? Also does
anyone know anywhere in the UK with socket 462 processors in stock as new
( I mean semprons here)

You're just not going to get an upgrade of any measure unless your MB can
do a 200MHz FSB. Have you tried raising your FSB? What MB do you have?

Unfortunately I have a Asus A7V8X MX SE. Its FSB capabilities top out at
333 . I was kind of hoping some of the new 333 FSB semprons would be a
decent improvement but it appears not. I use this machine to encode video
and it is SLOW. I was kind of hoping to just speed that up a bit. Oh well
I'm gonna up the ram (from 512 to 1gig) and start saving for a new rig I
think.