3800+ vs E4300

Old February 26th 07, 12:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
[email protected]

Default 3800+ vs E4300

Which would you build your system around today?

AMD X2 3800+ EE Windsor -=- $109 -=-
http://www.newegg.com/product/Produc...82E16819103733
Intel C2D E4300 Allendale -=- $169 -=-

Why?

$199 = AMD + Mobo
$329 = C2D + Mobo

Keep in mind that you can OC the 3800+ to 3+ Ghz on a $90 board with
minimal heat issues, while overclocking the E4300 to 3+ Ghz requires a
$160 board and produces significant heat, but leads the AMD part in
several benchmarks. (Please note that the E4300 finally opens up the
potential to use DDR2 667 without taking a hit.)

Is +10% performance worth shelling out +$130 more?

Finally, what motherboard would you choose for the AMD, and which mobo
would you select for the Intel, both within their respective budgets?
(AMD mobo = $90 +/- $15) ; (C2D mobo = $160 +/- $15) Please limit
your essay to 2000 words or less.

Old February 26th 07, 01:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Carl

The Intel Core 2 Duo will blow the AMD away, much as I am loathe to say it,
so, even though I have been an AMD fan for years I would buy an Intel chip
for a new system right now.
Old February 26th 07, 07:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 00:02:49 +0000, Carl wrote:

The Intel Core 2 Duo will blow the AMD away, much as I am loathe to say it,
so, even though I have been an AMD fan for years I would buy an Intel chip
for a new system right now.

That's what I used to say. After my little adventure with a bad S775 MB, I
wouldn't buy another one. Search for 775 bent pins.

Old February 26th 07, 02:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Andyc

Having both on my desk, I'd have to say that this quarter belongs to Intel.
Amd Opteron 165 1.8 GHz @ 2.5
Intel Core2Duo E4300 1.8 GHz @ 3.0
Both are stable in all tests for a minimum of 12 hours.

In Sandra XI
Intel e4300 / Amd Opt 165
Dhrystone 27235 / 17216
Whetstone 19271 / 15176

Both use nearly identical Heatsinks Arctic cooling Pro 7 & Pro 64
Intel runs cooler/quieter at a higher overclock at stock voltage.
Amd is in the better case, a gigabyte Aluminum full tower 1-12cm fan in and
2-12 cm fans out.
Intel is in a Antec sonata II, no intake, 1-12 cm fan out & all the fancy
ductwork removed.
Truely hoping AMD can take back the lead soon, or at least match Intel and
compete on price.
But today the bang for the buck is intel....as much as it bothers me to say
so.

Andy C

news:[email protected]

Old February 27th 07, 09:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
[email protected]

On Feb 26, 8:19 am, "Andyc" wrote:
The Intel Core 2 Duo will blow the AMD away, much as I am loathe to say
it,

I know, I know....but dollar-for-dollar, AMD is the cheaper (by a
hair). The cheapest combo I can put together with C2D is E4300 @ $169
(soon to drop to $113?) and a 945-based mobo @ $69. Together, these
cost more than the AMD combo, but a 3800+ on an NF-M2 nView should get
to 3.0 ghz with no problem, while the cheapest LGA775 boards cannot
overclock. Going up to about $120 on the mobo gets you into nice 3.6
ghz overclocking territory....

So, would you say that C2D E4300 @ 3.6 Ghz = 2x AMD 3800+ @ 3.0 Ghz?
Or would it be more like 1.5x, or 1.2x?

Old February 28th 07, 12:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Man-wai Chang

I know, I know....but dollar-for-dollar, AMD is the cheaper (by a
hair). The cheapest combo I can put together with C2D is E4300 @ $169
(soon to drop to $113?) and a 945-based mobo @ $69. Together, these
cost more than the AMD combo, but a 3800+ on an NF-M2 nView should get

Can you wait?
As new products come out, old hardware will get cheaper.

--
.~. Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY. http://www.linux-sxs.org
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 6.10) Linux 2.6.20.1
Old March 1st 07, 03:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
[email protected]

On Feb 28, 6:44 am, Man-wai Chang wrote:

Can you wait?
As new products come out, old hardware will get cheaper.

--
.~. Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.http://www.linux-sxs.org
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 6.10) Linux 2.6.20.1
^ ^ 19:43:01 up 3 days 3:24 0 users load average: 1.00 1.01 1.00
news://news.3home.net news://news.hkpcug.org news://news.newsgroup.com.hk

I can wait forever....but do I *choose* to wait (any longer)? I guess
waiting till April 22 is best, but I want this comp for what's left of
the winter weather, not the nice summertime.

Old March 3rd 07, 11:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Man-wai Chang

I can wait forever....but do I *choose* to wait (any longer)? I guess
waiting till April 22 is best, but I want this comp for what's left of
the winter weather, not the nice summertime.

I would say you save the money for more RAM or a better display card.
Personal opinion.

--
.~. Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY. http://www.linux-sxs.org
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 6.10) Linux 2.6.20.1
^ ^ 18:29:01 up 6 days 2:10 0 users load average: 1.04 1.29 1.41
news://news.3home.net news://news.hkpcug.org news://news.newsgroup.com.hk
Old March 4th 07, 04:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
[email protected]

That's what I'm saying! I really feel going from 2 GB to 4 GB or a
7600 to an X1900GT VIVO or 19" to 22" are individually worth totally
more in terms of money to perceived performance than just upping the
CPU.