How to extract pictures from disc image

Old March 4th 04, 07:53 AM
JN

Default How to extract pictures from disc image

Hi. I tried to recover many lost pictures from my crashed HD. I used
Stellar Phoenix for FAT utility. Some files were saved, but many files
were generated with either bad extension or which are not pictures at
all. And I'm positive that many files which were not found are still
on the disc. I'd like to find some utility which can scan whole disc
or its image (let's forget disc's logical structure) and find pictures
(only JPG and BMP) by their headers. I know that it can be successful
only with non-framgmented files, but it's worth a try for me. Or does
exist some way to find another parts of fragmented files? The disc was
formated in FAT32, one cluster has 32768 bytes, image file is cca 33GB
long. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old March 4th 04, 11:18 AM
Arno Wagner

Previously JN wrote:
Hi. I tried to recover many lost pictures from my crashed HD. I used
Stellar Phoenix for FAT utility. Some files were saved, but many files
were generated with either bad extension or which are not pictures at
all. And I'm positive that many files which were not found are still
on the disc. I'd like to find some utility which can scan whole disc
or its image (let's forget disc's logical structure) and find pictures
(only JPG and BMP) by their headers. I know that it can be successful
only with non-framgmented files, but it's worth a try for me. Or does
exist some way to find another parts of fragmented files? The disc was
formated in FAT32, one cluster has 32768 bytes, image file is cca 33GB
long. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

It is unlikely there is a programm for this problem exactly.

Time to start programming, I would say. Have a look into the JPG
standard how the header looks. Do the same for the BMP standard
(if there is such a thing). Then read the whole disk sequentially and
look for these headers.

"cat /dev/hdc | recover_programm"

to pipe the whole disk sequentialy into the recover programm. no idea
how to do this on Windows.

Arno

Old March 4th 04, 04:52 PM
Folkert Rienstra

Try ResQdata from Netz Computing.
Or ResQdisk to repair the filesystem and just copy them off.

Old March 4th 04, 04:52 PM
Folkert Rienstra

Bull****.

Time to start programming, I would say. Have a look into the JPG
standard how the header looks. Do the same for the BMP standard
(if there is such a thing). Then read the whole disk sequentially and
look for these headers.

"cat /dev/hdc | recover_programm"

to pipe the whole disk sequentialy into the recover programm. no idea
how to do this on Windows.

Arno

How do I extract wavs from a Nero image file? Gammaburst Cdr 3 July 1st 04 05:18 PM
When Good Discs Go Bad Ablang General 0 June 27th 04 03:47 AM
Acronis True Image 7.0: Image verify, and bootable DVD image write? Matt Storage & Hardrives 22 January 15th 04 11:42 PM
Acronis True Image 7.0: Image verify, and bootable DVD image write? Matt Storage (alt) 11 January 15th 04 11:42 PM