A Computer hardware and components forum. ComputerBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ComputerBanter.com forum » Motherboards » Asus Motherboards
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Asus RTN66u firmware



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 30th 15, 12:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Dan[_13_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default Asus RTN66u firmware

Hello all,

I have a Asus RTN66u. I look every few weeks for a update.
Last one that is non beta & for everyone outside Japan was
3.0.0.4.376.3861

dated 2015.02.13.

Newest one
Beta Version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
- Release Note -
[For Japan Only]


My question has two parts:
Has Asus stopped bring out firmware update for said above product?
Or can I use?
Beta Version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
- Release Note -
[For Japan Only]

Since I am in the UK, will this affect my RTN66u in any way if I use
Beta Version 3.0.0.4.378.7410? Because I prefer to keep upto date
with all manufacturer releases.

thanks to all replies

Dan.

  #2  
Old August 30th 15, 07:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13,412
Default Asus RTN66u firmware

Dan wrote:
Hello all,

I have a Asus RTN66u. I look every few weeks for a update.
Last one that is non beta & for everyone outside Japan was
3.0.0.4.376.3861

dated 2015.02.13.

Newest one
Beta Version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
- Release Note -
[For Japan Only]


My question has two parts:
Has Asus stopped bring out firmware update for said above product?
Or can I use?
Beta Version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
- Release Note -
[For Japan Only]

Since I am in the UK, will this affect my RTN66u in any way if I use
Beta Version 3.0.0.4.378.7410? Because I prefer to keep upto date
with all manufacturer releases.

thanks to all replies

Dan.


Japan has different Wifi channel allocations than
other countries. Companies like Asus don't stock
separate firmware streams for fun (it would be
much easier to just load a language file, to
handle Japanese needs, if so). Part of it
is so they can maintain regulatory compliance.
Whether it is channel allocation, channel width,
power level differences, and so on. A different
firmware version might be needed.

If the firmwares have "release notes", they can
tell you what improvements to expect.

And with any luck, an attempt to use the Japanese flasher,
the flasher will check the release code for the existing
firmware image, see it is the UK version, and refuse to
flash it. Flasher behavior isn't all that consistent,
but that's a possible outcome of your attempt to use it.

And yes, after a while, all companies stop with the firmware
updates. A reason to continue to release updates, is
when there is a serious security issue.

For example, maybe you can log in from the WAN side, and
someone has discovered a trivial way of exploiting that.
Apparently, many routers, the firmware actually comes from
a single company (not Asus), and they just add a few tweaks
on top of that firmware. If an exploit is found for
the base firmware, then a lot of firmwares need to be
updated on the same day. So you shouldn't get the impression
some dude sits there all day editing and editing the
RTN66u source code, just for you. The Asus contribution
might be relatively small, compared to the firmware
development environment they bought to work with the
processor or SOC in the router. Maybe if that company
issues a new base firmware, they could roll it into
their version, with one click of the button in their
firmware development environment. The base firmware
might present an API, which makes the workings of the
base firmware, independent of any fancy GUI that Asus
provides. By using software layering, a fairly small
amount of effort might go into a new firmware being
issued by Asus. Most of the work and effort, would
go into verifying the new firmware doesn't break
anything. The software design would be minimal.

My Linksys router, got an inordinate amount of support,
but then, the hardware sucked, and it was just
icing on a poorly made cake. That was the router
that would require two reboots per evening of usage.
So sometimes, when you're getting new firmwares,
it's because the company is embarrassed about the
"great job" they did. After the last firmware I
put in the thing, it eventually bricked and
sits in the junk room.

Paul
  #3  
Old August 30th 15, 10:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Tater
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Asus RTN66u firmware

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 12:57:36 +0100, Dan wrote:

Hello all,

I have a Asus RTN66u. I look every few weeks for a update.
Last one that is non beta & for everyone outside Japan was
3.0.0.4.376.3861

dated 2015.02.13.

Newest one
Beta Version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
- Release Note -
[For Japan Only]


My question has two parts:
Has Asus stopped bring out firmware update for said above product?
Or can I use?
Beta Version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
- Release Note -
[For Japan Only]

Since I am in the UK, will this affect my RTN66u in any way if I use
Beta Version 3.0.0.4.378.7410? Because I prefer to keep upto date
with all manufacturer releases.

thanks to all replies

Dan.


You might give Merlin's firmware a shot:

http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/

I'm running it on my RT-AC68U and it's quite good.

Jerry
  #4  
Old August 31st 15, 07:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Dan[_13_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default Asus RTN66u firmware

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 14:54:47 -0400, Paul wrote:

Dan wrote:
Hello all,

I have a Asus RTN66u. I look every few weeks for a update.
Last one that is non beta & for everyone outside Japan was
3.0.0.4.376.3861

dated 2015.02.13.

Newest one
Beta Version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
- Release Note -
[For Japan Only]


My question has two parts:
Has Asus stopped bring out firmware update for said above product?
Or can I use?
Beta Version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
- Release Note -
[For Japan Only]

Since I am in the UK, will this affect my RTN66u in any way if I use
Beta Version 3.0.0.4.378.7410? Because I prefer to keep upto date
with all manufacturer releases.

thanks to all replies

Dan.


Japan has different Wifi channel allocations than
other countries. Companies like Asus don't stock
separate firmware streams for fun (it would be
much easier to just load a language file, to
handle Japanese needs, if so). Part of it
is so they can maintain regulatory compliance.
Whether it is channel allocation, channel width,
power level differences, and so on. A different
firmware version might be needed.

If the firmwares have "release notes", they can
tell you what improvements to expect.

And with any luck, an attempt to use the Japanese flasher,
the flasher will check the release code for the existing
firmware image, see it is the UK version, and refuse to
flash it. Flasher behavior isn't all that consistent,
but that's a possible outcome of your attempt to use it.

And yes, after a while, all companies stop with the firmware
updates. A reason to continue to release updates, is
when there is a serious security issue.

For example, maybe you can log in from the WAN side, and
someone has discovered a trivial way of exploiting that.
Apparently, many routers, the firmware actually comes from
a single company (not Asus), and they just add a few tweaks
on top of that firmware. If an exploit is found for
the base firmware, then a lot of firmwares need to be
updated on the same day. So you shouldn't get the impression
some dude sits there all day editing and editing the
RTN66u source code, just for you. The Asus contribution
might be relatively small, compared to the firmware
development environment they bought to work with the
processor or SOC in the router. Maybe if that company
issues a new base firmware, they could roll it into
their version, with one click of the button in their
firmware development environment. The base firmware
might present an API, which makes the workings of the
base firmware, independent of any fancy GUI that Asus
provides. By using software layering, a fairly small
amount of effort might go into a new firmware being
issued by Asus. Most of the work and effort, would
go into verifying the new firmware doesn't break
anything. The software design would be minimal.

My Linksys router, got an inordinate amount of support,
but then, the hardware sucked, and it was just
icing on a poorly made cake. That was the router
that would require two reboots per evening of usage.
So sometimes, when you're getting new firmwares,
it's because the company is embarrassed about the
"great job" they did. After the last firmware I
put in the thing, it eventually bricked and
sits in the junk room.

Paul



Thanks. So the Jaspanese firmware update should not be used.
  #5  
Old August 31st 15, 07:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Dan[_13_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default Asus RTN66u firmware

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 14:14:19 -0700, Tater wrote:

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 12:57:36 +0100, Dan wrote:

Hello all,

I have a Asus RTN66u. I look every few weeks for a update.
Last one that is non beta & for everyone outside Japan was
3.0.0.4.376.3861

dated 2015.02.13.

Newest one
Beta Version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
- Release Note -
[For Japan Only]


My question has two parts:
Has Asus stopped bring out firmware update for said above product?
Or can I use?
Beta Version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
- Release Note -
[For Japan Only]

Since I am in the UK, will this affect my RTN66u in any way if I use
Beta Version 3.0.0.4.378.7410? Because I prefer to keep upto date
with all manufacturer releases.

thanks to all replies

Dan.


You might give Merlin's firmware a shot:

http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/

I'm running it on my RT-AC68U and it's quite good.

Jerry



I have just loaded the provided url, it looks good. But can I revert
back to a Asus firmware if need be?

Thanks

Dan.
  #6  
Old August 31st 15, 05:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Tater
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Asus RTN66u firmware

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 07:35:28 +0100, Dan wrote:

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 14:14:19 -0700, Tater wrote:

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 12:57:36 +0100, Dan wrote:

Hello all,

I have a Asus RTN66u. I look every few weeks for a update.
Last one that is non beta & for everyone outside Japan was
3.0.0.4.376.3861

dated 2015.02.13.

Newest one
Beta Version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
- Release Note -
[For Japan Only]


My question has two parts:
Has Asus stopped bring out firmware update for said above product?
Or can I use?
Beta Version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
- Release Note -
[For Japan Only]

Since I am in the UK, will this affect my RTN66u in any way if I use
Beta Version 3.0.0.4.378.7410? Because I prefer to keep upto date
with all manufacturer releases.

thanks to all replies

Dan.


You might give Merlin's firmware a shot:

http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/

I'm running it on my RT-AC68U and it's quite good.

Jerry



I have just loaded the provided url, it looks good. But can I revert
back to a Asus firmware if need be?

Thanks

Dan.


Absolutely. I've switched between Asus and Merlin's firmware several
times.
  #7  
Old September 1st 15, 06:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Dan[_13_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default Asus RTN66u firmware

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 09:52:58 -0700, Tater wrote:

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 07:35:28 +0100, Dan wrote:

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 14:14:19 -0700, Tater wrote:

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 12:57:36 +0100, Dan wrote:

Hello all,

I have a Asus RTN66u. I look every few weeks for a update.
Last one that is non beta & for everyone outside Japan was
3.0.0.4.376.3861

dated 2015.02.13.

Newest one
Beta Version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
- Release Note -
[For Japan Only]


My question has two parts:
Has Asus stopped bring out firmware update for said above product?
Or can I use?
Beta Version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.7410
- Release Note -
[For Japan Only]

Since I am in the UK, will this affect my RTN66u in any way if I use
Beta Version 3.0.0.4.378.7410? Because I prefer to keep upto date
with all manufacturer releases.

thanks to all replies

Dan.

You might give Merlin's firmware a shot:

http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/

I'm running it on my RT-AC68U and it's quite good.

Jerry



I have just loaded the provided url, it looks good. But can I revert
back to a Asus firmware if need be?

Thanks

Dan.


Absolutely. I've switched between Asus and Merlin's firmware several
times.




Thanks again.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DCM-202 firmware [email protected] General 6 November 17th 07 02:58 AM
Updating the firmware in ASUS DRW-1608P drives Mike Freeman Asus Motherboards 2 April 11th 05 02:17 AM
v1005 firmware for ASUS K8V SE Deluxe problems? [email protected] Asus Motherboards 8 January 30th 05 11:51 AM
How do I find what firmware my optical has? Might update firmware. Larc General 0 July 10th 04 05:07 PM
Firmware olek Storage (alt) 1 January 6th 04 07:51 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 ComputerBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.