Opinions wanted on new system config.

Old November 23rd 05, 03:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.mainboards.abit

Default Opinions wanted on new system config.

I'm about ready to do a system upgrade and I'm looking for some
opinions on my options.
I use the machine for mostly general stuff, some games, and some still
photo and video editing.

My current system is an Abit BE7, with a P4 2.2Ghz CPU. I've been happy
with the Abit motherboards and would like to stay with them.

Some of the things that are driving my selection are that I have 1.5G
of DDR PC3200 RAM (Samsung CL3 chips) and an ATI Radeon AGP based
video/tv tuner card (All in Wonder 8500) that I would like to keep.

I'm currently running XP SP2, but would like to go with a processor
that supports 64 bit version (for future). I'd like to go with a dual
core system, but the Abit motherboards that support Intel's dual core
are all DDR2 and PCIExpress (no AGP) boards so I would have to replace
the RAM and video.

Within my price range, and keeping the items I want to retain, I've
narrowed my choices down to the following:

AS8 with a Pentium 4 650 3.4Ghz Intel 865PE chipset.

AV8 with an Athlon 3800+ 64 X2 dual core, VIA K8T800 chipset

I've always used the Intel chips, but am leaning toward the AMD system
due to the dual core capability and the various reports of better
performance and lower heat than the Intel chips.

I am not in any way trying to bash AMD, but I've had no personal
experience with their CPU's and the Via chipset. Are there any issues
related to AMD/VIA systems? Also, I know CPU clock speed isn't
everything, but is the AMD 3800+ at 2.0Ghz comprable to the Pentium 4
at 3.4Ghz? Intel has a larger L2 cache, but AMD's L1 is bigger. How
much of a difference does that make? I would imagine the AMD dual core
outperforms Intel's Hyperthreading.

I realize that either system would work for what I need, but both
configurations are about the same price and I'd like to get the best
performance for my money.

I have done some Google searching, and found all kinds of benchmark
tests comparing Intel and AMD, but nothing specific to my choices and I
am just looking for some opinions on what I've come up with.

Thanks.

- Mike O.

Old November 27th 05, 02:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.mainboards.abit

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 07:23:34 -0800, mso999 wrote:

Within my price range, and keeping the items I want to retain, I've
narrowed my choices down to the following:

AS8 with a Pentium 4 650 3.4Ghz Intel 865PE chipset.

AV8 with an Athlon 3800+ 64 X2 dual core, VIA K8T800 chipset

I've always used the Intel chips, but am leaning toward the AMD system

I am not in any way trying to bash AMD, but I've had no personal
experience with their CPU's and the Via chipset. Are there any issues
related to AMD/VIA systems? Also, I know CPU clock speed isn't

VIA is OK but straight out the box installs tend to default to preferring
Intel.

IOW I like the 865PE - Running it here w/ P4 3Ghz CPU, 800MHz FSB.
Old November 27th 05, 10:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.mainboards.abit

"Ron Gibson" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 07:23:34 -0800, mso999 wrote:

Within my price range, and keeping the items I want to retain, I've
narrowed my choices down to the following:

AS8 with a Pentium 4 650 3.4Ghz Intel 865PE chipset.

AV8 with an Athlon 3800+ 64 X2 dual core, VIA K8T800 chipset

I've always used the Intel chips, but am leaning toward the AMD system

I am not in any way trying to bash AMD, but I've had no personal
experience with their CPU's and the Via chipset. Are there any issues
related to AMD/VIA systems? Also, I know CPU clock speed isn't

VIA is OK but straight out the box installs tend to default to preferring
Intel.

IOW I like the 865PE - Running it here w/ P4 3Ghz CPU, 800MHz FSB.

I'm not sure what you mean by "..straight out the box installs..." Are you
talking about Windows? I always assume any initial installation is going to
have issues until the drivers are updated, configured, etc.

I've always been using Intel CPU/Chipsets, and would normally stick with
Intel, but I like the idea of getting a dual core processor without having
to purchase new RAM & video. The ABIT Intel dual core motherboards all
require DDR2 & PCI Express video. That puts the price for the system
upgrade of of my range.

Also, AMD and VIA are a lot more "standard" now then they used to be when
they first started out.

As I said, I'm leaning to the AMD, but was looking for any feedback on the
configurations described and possibly if someone's using the AMD config, are
there any major (or minor) issues involved.

Mike O.

Old December 8th 05, 02:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.mainboards.abit

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 22:34:05 +0000, Mike O'Donnell wrote:

VIA is OK but straight out the box installs tend to default to
preferring
Intel.

IOW I like the 865PE - Running it here w/ P4 3Ghz CPU, 800MHz FSB.

I'm not sure what you mean by "..straight out the box installs..." Are you
talking about Windows? I always assume any initial installation is going to
have issues until the drivers are updated, configured, etc.

Yes and yes.

I've always been using Intel CPU/Chipsets, and would normally stick with
Intel, but I like the idea of getting a dual core processor without having
to purchase new RAM & video. The ABIT Intel dual core motherboards all
require DDR2 & PCI Express video. That puts the price for the system
upgrade of of my range.

You may have other issues. I prefer Linux myself and except for the very
latest implementations it covers about everything using the default
kernel installation option.

Intel has been good in being consistent. Support for about all of their
stuff is solid.
Old April 30th 07, 04:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.mainboards.abit
stanley

i think agp is going to fade away as pcie is so much faster..i have a
ati aiw 7500 agp card. the ram you have 3200 is going to seem slower as
time goes by too as ram gets faster all the time. you may have a
bottleneck at the ram and video card

Old May 23rd 07, 11:10 AM
DreamWeaver DreamWeaver is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley View Post
i think agp is going to fade away as pcie is so much faster..i have a
ati aiw 7500 agp card. the ram you have 3200 is going to seem slower as
time goes by too as ram gets faster all the time. you may have a
bottleneck at the ram and video card
Ron Gibson wrote:
i just did the upgrade your trying to do.... but i am an AMD user, however, the only way to get a good for the money upgrade is go for the AMD's 939 sockets, and am sorry to say, that AGP are realy going out of the market, its not worth it to buy a AGP mobo now, you could either stick to your DDR400 and get a PCI-E mobo and a PCI-E card, or wait and go for a hole new DDR2 intel E6600 CPU, if your intrested in upgrading to a 939 AMD, i would recommend the Abit AT8 32X crossfire, and the AMD X2 4400 939, with either a x1300 or X1650 radeon, and use the rest of the hardware you have to complete the system....
__________________
AMD Dreamer
CPU:AMD FX55 3002GHZ OC
motherboard: Abit AT 32X RD580 Crossfire.
RAM: 2GB Kingston Hyper X CL 2
Storag: 75GB Raptor
150GB Caviar
Video: Duel AMD ATI X1650 Pro 512MB GDDR 2 CrossFire mode

Power: Toughpower 700 Watt.
Case & cooling: thermal take Armor damier 5000A super ATX tower, thermal take Bigtyphoon CPU cooler.

Attn: 832GM and other XP Owners Russ Edwards Gateway Computers 12 July 24th 05 12:37 AM
What do you use for backup today? Mxsmanic Homebuilt PC's 46 July 18th 05 09:19 PM
DC fans Frank General 16 July 14th 05 04:14 AM
Opinions Wanted Mike Dell Computers 28 July 20th 04 12:45 AM
Opinions wanted: OrangeMicro iBot firewire The Wandering Lecher Webcams 0 August 26th 03 02:09 AM