Drive Image 2002 Imaging problems

Old April 19th 04, 11:37 PM
Joe Ready

Default Drive Image 2002 Imaging problems

I bought Drive Image 2002 about two years ago to copy a HDD for an
upgrade. Shortly after successfully cloning the drive I was able to
achieve one image to CD/RW media. Since this time, I have never been
able to successfully complete an image again. This would be mostly
academic except that I am now planning on upgrading from 98 SE to XP
Pro and want to image my working 98 setup before attempting the
upgrade. Most of the time the imaging fails (anywhere from 1 to 10
CDs into the exercise) with an error 1805 or sometime 503 (I think
since it scrolls off the screen quickly). I have run Scandisk with
the thorough option enabled and it finds no problems on the HDD.I have
downloaded the Symantec recommendations for error 1805 none of which
has done anything. I have been trying the imaging with new CDRs
although I have also tried to rewrite my original CD/RWs.

System configuration:

MSI 6378 MB
Athlon 2600 XP CPU
512 Meg Micron 133 memory
40 G Hitachi 7200 HDD
TDK 4800-B CR/RW
16X DVD reader
Windows 98 SE OS
Antec 431 Power supply
Normal compliment of fans, floppy, and other bits and pieces

I am almost to the point of buying another HDD to clone as my backup.
I'm tired of burning coasters and I don't have enough confidence in
Microsoft to go cold turkey on the upgrade.

Any other approaches to taking an image off an HDD except Drive Image
or Ghost?

Thanks,
Joe
Old April 20th 04, 12:10 PM
Michael Kimmer

Joe Ready wrote:
[...]

Most common possible causes for error 1805 when writing directly to CD-R(W)
media:
-AUTODETECT entry for drive in the BIOS
(Set it to NONE, Drive Image 2002 will still detect it)
-Caldera DOS, you may want to replace Caldera by MS-DOS: Caldera DOS sux!
-Try a lower burning speed for DOS by manually typing:

PQDI /CDRSPD=8

This will decrease the speed to 8 speed...Manually start this by using the
second rescue disk.

If the latter option works you can manually edit the virtual floppy using
the VF Editor application that is also installed. Open for that purpose the
virtual floppy called DEFAULT.VFD which is in the VFD subfolder of Drive
Image 2002.

It contains a bootfloppy with a max size of 2,88 MB with all the required
bootfiles. To edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT file simply drag it onto your desktop
and after editing it drag and drop it back into the virtual floppy.

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

Old April 21st 04, 05:44 PM
CWatters

"Joe Ready" wrote in message
om...
Any other approaches to taking an image off an HDD except Drive Image
or Ghost?

I doubt that this is the problem. Most likely your CD drive doesn't like the
media you are using or something like that.

Perhaps you could partion the drive into C: and D:. Then use DI to create
the 10 CD size image files on D: (I think DI will do this but check first).
Then when you have 10 image files start burning them to 10 CDs. This way if
CD number 9 of 10 fails you only need repeat number 9 not 1-8 as well.

Consider buying an external USB 2.0 drive. One of those and DI make a
powerful combinationl. I schedule DI to image my 13GByte C: to an external
USB 2.0 drive every night. In the process it creates 22 x 600 MByte files.
It also keeps the last 5 nights worth for good measure. Later in the night
my wifes PC is also backed up over our LAN to the same USB drive in the the
same way. Each backup and verify takes about 45min. DI even emails me a
confirmation message so I never have to check the log when I get up to see
if it failed or not. Once in awhile I copy an image to 3 or 4 DVD+R but
could also burn one to 22 CD if I was really stuck. Like I say it's a great
investment.

Old April 21st 04, 10:55 PM
Michael Kimmer

CWatters wrote:
"Joe Ready" wrote in message
om...
Any other approaches to taking an image off an HDD except Drive Image
or Ghost?

I doubt that this is the problem. Most likely your CD drive doesn't
like the media you are using or something like that.

Perhaps you could partion the drive into C: and D:. Then use DI to
create the 10 CD size image files on D: (I think DI will do this but
check first). Then when you have 10 image files start burning them to
10 CDs. This way if CD number 9 of 10 fails you only need repeat
number 9 not 1-8 as well.

Good choice if the error 1805 is a 'persistent' one...

Consider buying an external USB 2.0 drive. One of those and DI make a
powerful combinationl. I schedule DI to image my 13GByte C: to an
external USB 2.0 drive every night. In the process it creates 22 x
600 MByte files. It also keeps the last 5 nights worth for good
measure. Later in the night my wifes PC is also backed up over our
LAN to the same USB drive in the the same way. Each backup and verify
takes about 45min. DI even emails me a confirmation message so I
never have to check the log when I get up to see if it failed or not.
Once in awhile I copy an image to 3 or 4 DVD+R but could also burn
one to 22 CD if I was really stuck. Like I say it's a great
investment.

Most likely you are using Drive Image 7.0 for Drive Image 2002 will
definitely not support USB 2.0 devices as a reboot in DOS mode is required
when imaging an OS (your 13 GByte C. This operation will yield a 626
error!