Is there imaging s/w that like this?

Old November 24th 04, 02:12 AM
Chuck U. Farley

Default Is there imaging s/w that like this?

Is there a disk imaging proggie where I can:

1. Make a bootable DVD disk, _not_ a rewritable but a standard - or + DVD
(not CD) disk.

2. Put a recoverable_complete_ image of my hd (size is 4 gigs) _not_ parsed
out in separate 1.9 gig sections but a complete, full image of my hard
drive, on that boot disk.

3. Be able to insert that disk, re-boot my computer, have a menu come up
giving me the option to format my hard drive.

4. Put the image on that newly formatted hard drive without a hundred dialog
boxes.

5. Not require any other programs such as Nero, DirectCD, WinIso, IsoBuster
etc. to function correctly.

5. Not require the use of the .NET framework (that's what ruled out Norton's
Ghost).

I have just tried and deleted True Image because it, for whatever reason,
won't write to a DVD-R or DVD+R, but only to a RW and then it must be UDF
formatted, evidently with DirectCD because it won't recognize a UDF
formatted disk that I did with Nero. I don't want to use an RW because in
6-9 months when I need it, it probably won't be able to be read. Had that
happen with a CD-RW several years ago and vowed I'd _never_ use a RW for a
drive image again.

I'm looking at BootIT Next Generation but not sure about the company and
don't want to shell out $50, yet again, to do an evaluation and find it
won't do those five things. Got an email out to them but haven't received a
response yet.

I have just now re-installed XP and my base programs, configured the GUI the
way I want it and customized the programs the way I want them. All I want to
do is get an imaging program to put a image of my current hd on a bootable
DVD, let me insert that DVD in 6-8 months, get an option to format the hd in
NTFS and then install the image on the hd without a bunch of handholding,
selection boxes, install options, etc. Surely, that's not asking too much
but damned if I can find any program that'll let me do that.

Any recommendations appreciated!

Old November 24th 04, 02:28 AM
Will Dormann

Chuck U. Farley wrote:

I have just tried and deleted True Image because it, for whatever reason,
won't write to a DVD-R or DVD+R, but only to a RW and then it must be UDF
formatted, evidently with DirectCD because it won't recognize a UDF
formatted disk that I did with Nero. I don't want to use an RW because in
6-9 months when I need it, it probably won't be able to be read. Had that
happen with a CD-RW several years ago and vowed I'd _never_ use a RW for a
drive image again.

I use True Image in conjunction with Nero. Works great. You can do
pretty much any of the items that you listed.

--
-WD
Old November 24th 04, 02:42 AM
Peter

That can be acomplished with Ghost and CD/DVD writing software, you just
need to do a proper planning and some assembly.
There is no need to worry about multiple image segments, as long as the
image installation runs uninterrupted (no prompts).
You do not even have to format your hard disk.
I would put a single, clear warning what that DVD is going to do to your
system, requiring to type a full word like "yes" or "agree" before it starts
to image your hard drive.

.. .

Old November 24th 04, 04:25 AM
Chuck U. Farley

I use True Image in conjunction with Nero. Works great. You can do
pretty much any of the items that you listed.

So you can write direct to a DVD +R or -R? That's interesting. See he

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showt...750#post264750

where it says " If you read the FAQs in the TI User's Guide you'll see that
TI only writes direct to DVD+/-RW provided you have a compatible UDF packet
writing program running and the DVD has been UDF formatted. However, it goes
on to say that DVD-/+R formatting is currently only supported by Roxio
DirectCD so it seems it may be possible to image direct to DVD-/+R if you
have that particular software installed. I don't, so I'm unable to confirm
this point."

in addition to:

I've also concluded that you can't burn direct to DVD (any format) if TI is
running in boot rescue mode. See
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/show...4674#post264674 for further details.

Also, and I think this might be your post, as the names seem oddly similar:

where the author describes this process in order to make a bootable "rescue"
DVD:

This is an updated version of a post that I had made a short while ago.

Several people have asked, so here is how you can create a bootable rescue
DVD that also contains the TIB files.

1. Back up your system with TrueImage, and specify a 635MB image size. This
will give you the best space usage on the DVD, and also give you the option
of copying your images to CD if you're the masochistic type.
2. Create a Bootable Rescue CD using the Acronis software.
3. Install and open WinISO
4. In WinISO, click Actions - Make ISO from CDROM, and save that ISO
somewhere.
5. Open that image file using WinISO
6. Save boot information to a file called "trueimg.wbt"
(Click "Bootable CD" in the lower left corner, and then select "Save boot
information to file...")
7. Get CD Shell and BCDW and extract it to a directory somewhere. Whatever
this location is, I will refer to it as [cdshell] from now on. For example,
replace [cdshell] with "c:\cdshell" if that's where you put it.
Now you're ready to create the bootable DVD.

8. Open Nero and create a new DVD-ROM (Boot) project.
9. On the Boot tab, select Image file, and select the file
[cdshell]\boot\loader.bin
10. Use the "No Emulation" setting, and the number of loaded sectors
should be 4. (Other values should be left at the default)
11. Create a DVD directory structure like this (TIB files in the root, and
two subdirectories called "boot" and "acronis"):

/ (root) (Put your TIB files here)

| + BOOT (Drag the contents of "boot" directory from your [cdshell]
directory here)

| + ACRONIS (put the trueimg.wbt file here)

That process kinda negates numbers 5 in my original post. g And unless you
are using a DVD -R or +R rather than a RW, that kinda negates number 1 in my
original post.

Judging by that forum, and I realize that it, like Usenet, is by it's very
nature where people go when they're having trouble, I think I made the right
decision to uninstall the s/w. I'm glad it works for you, but on my
standard, plain vanilla Dell box with a fresh install of XP only hours old,
the s/w simply will _not_ burn an image DVD, bootable or not as I put in
this post:

And 8 hours later there's no response from their tech support on that forum,
which speaks volumes afaic.

The search continues.

Old November 24th 04, 04:33 AM
Chuck U. Farley

That can be acomplished with Ghost and CD/DVD writing software, you just
need to do a proper planning and some assembly.

Ghost 9 requires the .NET framework, which is one of the causes (along with
SP2) of my having to re-format and re-install. I will avoid that at all
costs as long as I can. I'm trying to find an old copy of Drive Image before
the Symantec buyout to evaluate.

There is no need to worry about multiple image segments, as long as the
image installation runs uninterrupted (no prompts).

This is what had me worried about the 1.9 gig limitation with True Image as
one of the purposes of what I'm trying to accomplish is to not have to sit
and feed disks and and answer dialog boxes just to install XP. If I wanted
to do that, I'd just do what I did last night, format and re-install XP and
all of my programs. g

You do not even have to format your hard disk.

But that's the point of what I'm doing. I evaluate a large number of
programs of various kinds so subsequently I install and uninstall a bunch of
them and after a while, no matter how meticulous I am in weeding out the
detritus of "uninstalled" programs from the registry, my sytem eventually
gets hinkey.

I would put a single, clear warning what that DVD is going to do to your
system, requiring to type a full word like "yes" or "agree" before it

starts
to image your hard drive.

The problem is finding a program to create that DVD, not what it's going to
do after I have it. vbg

Thanks for your input.

Old November 24th 04, 05:01 AM
Peter

"Chuck U. Farley" wrote in message
news
That can be acomplished with Ghost and CD/DVD writing software, you just
need to do a proper planning and some assembly.

Ghost 9 requires the .NET framework, which is one of the causes (along

with
SP2) of my having to re-format and re-install. I will avoid that at all
costs as long as I can. I'm trying to find an old copy of Drive Image

before
the Symantec buyout to evaluate.

I do not consider Symantec Ghost 9 as a Ghost product, it is Symantec
DriveImage release.
Lets stick to Ghost 8.0 and Ghost 2003.

There is no need to worry about multiple image segments, as long as the
image installation runs uninterrupted (no prompts).

This is what had me worried about the 1.9 gig limitation with True Image

as
one of the purposes of what I'm trying to accomplish is to not have to sit
and feed disks and and answer dialog boxes just to install XP. If I wanted
to do that, I'd just do what I did last night, format and re-install XP

and
all of my programs. g

Yes, Ghost can run multiple image segments without prompting.

You do not even have to format your hard disk.

But that's the point of what I'm doing. I evaluate a large number of
programs of various kinds so subsequently I install and uninstall a bunch

of
them and after a while, no matter how meticulous I am in weeding out the
detritus of "uninstalled" programs from the registry, my sytem eventually
gets hinkey.

Ghost image restore can completely overwrite your hard disk partitions and
restore original partitions and filesystems you had when you saved disk
image.

I would put a single, clear warning what that DVD is going to do to your
system, requiring to type a full word like "yes" or "agree" before it

starts
to image your hard drive.

The problem is finding a program to create that DVD, not what it's going

do after I have it. vbg

I doubt you find a program to do exactly what you want, but you can achieve
your goal by performing a relative small numbers of steps to create such DVD
disk.
Then, you will have a completely hands free restore procedure.

Thanks for your input.

No problem.

Old November 24th 04, 12:40 PM
Lil' Dave

Imaging programs, when restoring, format the HD partition without a prompt.
You're out of luck at the outset.

The other problem seems to be the UDF format thing. Need to burn in ISO
9660 format instead.

Boot DVDs/CDs can be made with Nero etc. If left open, the required
programs and files can be burned as well. These will appear as a non-A
drive stuff, IE the normal DVD access drive letter when booting from the
DVD. Then close session.

NET framework is only required for saving an image of open system files on a
boot partition. Restoration of a DVD image files(s), not needed. The DI
7.0/7.01, Ghost 9.0 DVDs are bootable and run in a modified XP environment.

Old November 24th 04, 05:14 PM
Rob Nicholson

I do not consider Symantec Ghost 9 as a Ghost product, it is Symantec
DriveImage release.
Lets stick to Ghost 8.0 and Ghost 2003.

Ahh that explains an awful lot. We recently purchased another copy of Ghost
(as we wanted another license) and was surprised with the product that
arrived. I agree, Ghost 9 is not what most traditional users of Ghost would
recognise. I like the idea of on-the-fly hard disk imaging but call me old
fashioned but I just don't trust it :-)

Fortunately, Ghost 9 comes with a copy of Ghost 2003 as well which has all
our old favourite tools like GHOST.EXE and GDISK.EXE.

I didn't know there had been a deal on DriveImage - have they bought the
company?

Cheers, Rob.

Old November 24th 04, 05:19 PM
Rob Nicholson

Imaging programs, when restoring, format the HD partition without a
prompt.
You're out of luck at the outset.

Alternatively, GHOST direct onto CD-RW. Can Ghost 2003 write to DVD-RW? If
so, then this would be even better as with CD-R/CD-RW, it usually takes a
lot of CDs :-)

Cheers, Rob.

Old November 24th 04, 07:08 PM
Timothy Daniels

"Rob Nicholson" wrote:
I didn't know there had been a deal on DriveImage - have they bought the
company?

Yes, Symantec "acquired" PowerQuest. See http://www.powerquest.com/ .

*TimDaniels*