Latitude LS

Old July 8th 05, 07:23 AM
Nicholas Andrade

Default Latitude LS

I'm considering picking up an older, ultralight notebook; I'm currently
looking at either a Dell LS or an IBM X20. I was wondering if anyone
here has experiences with the LS. In particular I was wondering what
the fastest processor I can put in it is, what type of RAM (and how many
slots) it has, and if there are any hardware limits on the HDD size. I
plan to just run a lightweight Linux distro on it, so if anyone has
experience with Linux on the LS, I'd be interested in that too.
Old July 8th 05, 08:31 AM
Hank Arnold

No experience with the lattitudes. Just got a dozen at work, but haven't had
a chance to check them out...

However, if price is anywhere similar, I'd jump on an IBM X series. They are
sweet machines.... Period.....

Keep in mind, though, that Levono now owns the PC & ThinkPad lines. This is
probably the last year that I will be making a blanket statement like
that....

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

m...

Old July 8th 05, 09:40 AM
S.Lewis

"Nicholas Andrade" wrote in message
m...
I'm considering picking up an older, ultralight notebook; I'm currently
looking at either a Dell LS or an IBM X20. I was wondering if anyone here
has experiences with the LS. In particular I was wondering what the
fastest processor I can put in it is, what type of RAM (and how many
slots) it has, and if there are any hardware limits on the HDD size. I
plan to just run a lightweight Linux distro on it, so if anyone has
experience with Linux on the LS, I'd be interested in that too.

You might consider a Latitude C400 as well. From what I recall, the older
LS400's had only one DIMM socket and fairly low end total RAM capacity.

I'm not sure of HDD limitations, but I'd expect you'd be looking at 20gb or
less in the original drive. I have no idea as to what the ceiling HDD
capacity is on that machine though.

Stew

Old July 8th 05, 10:46 AM
Tom Scales

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I have a dead LS in the drawer. While it lasted, it was a nice machine, but
with limitations. The biggest was one DIMM slot and a max of 256MB. It is
not a particularly sturdy machine, so I would expect all of them by now to
be having hinge problems.

I did have an X30 and still have an X40. Significantly sturdier machines.

I'd look at the X series.

Tom

Old July 9th 05, 04:10 AM
Nicholas Andrade

Well as much as I'd prefer an X-series, I couldn't find any in the price
range I was looking for. I ended up buying a LS off ebay today for
under $150; it has 256MB of RAM, and I happen to already have a spare
20GB HDD lying around. It's main purpose is going to be for when I need
a notebook that I can throw in my backpack and not worry if something
happens. I love my D610, but it's definitely overkill for just taking
notes in class (but excellent for labs where I need to do circuit
simulations, etc.). The LS looks like it will work great for notes,
light web surfing, listening to music stored over the network, etc. I
plan to throw either Fedora with Fluxbox or Enlightenment, ot perhaps
Slackware with Dropline Gnome. My previous laptop ran full Gnome fine
in Fedora Core 2 with 256MB of RAM, but the processor was double as fast
s the LS.
Old July 9th 05, 10:30 AM
Tom Scales

[...]

For $150, go for it. It's definately worth it. It is a fine machine --
just be casreful of the hinges.