new 100 Mb HD to upgrade my desktop : will it work or not ?

Old November 4th 05, 05:58 PM
Claude

Default new 100 Mb HD to upgrade my desktop : will it work or not ?

Hi,

I'd like to upgrade my desktop by buuying a new HD (about 100 Mb). and I
'd like to be sure it will work.

The processor is : Intel celeron 600 Mhz, socket ID : 370

The chipset of the mobo is : Intel Whitney i810

The HD interface : Ultra-ATA/66
The transfer rate : 66.6 Mb/s

My fear is that my system doesn't accept HD more than 32 Gb.

I just upgrade my bios from the Gigabyte website :
http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/...S_GA-6WMM7.htm
it's not a recent version and it's a beta one !!

Thank you for your help

rgds
Claude

Old November 4th 05, 06:42 PM
Jim

Not really a problem. Worst case, you go on to eBay and pickup a Promise
PCI-based ATA/66 or ATA/100 IDE Controller. Can probably be had for $10 or
so, shipped. IOW, you simply bypass the mobo IDE controllers and whatever
limitations they have! Heck, you may want to do this anyway, even if the
mobo IDE controllers can handle the upgrade. The mobo controller may only
be ATA66, but you can install an ATA100 PCI controller and get better
performance

Jim

Old November 4th 05, 08:29 PM
Brad Houser

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 17:58:15 +0100, Claude wrote:

I'd like to upgrade my desktop by buuying a new HD (about 100 Mb). and I
'd like to be sure it will work.

The processor is : Intel celeron 600 Mhz, socket ID : 370

The chipset of the mobo is : Intel Whitney i810

The HD interface : Ultra-ATA/66
The transfer rate : 66.6 Mb/s

My fear is that my system doesn't accept HD more than 32 Gb.

Assuming you mean 100GB, if your system bios doesn't recognize the complete
amount, there are utilities that usually come with the drive that will
allow the bios to see it all. Maxtor calls their's Maxblast.

Brad H
Old November 5th 05, 12:47 AM
claude

Default new 100 Gb HD to upgrade my desktop : will it work or not ?

So, if I get an ATA100 PCI controller, I will be sure to work with a
full 100 Gb HD, not only with 32 Gb. correct ? I don't need anything else ?

thank you

Claude

Old November 5th 05, 12:52 AM
claude

Brad Houser a écrit:

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 17:58:15 +0100, Claude wrote:

I'd like to upgrade my desktop by buuying a new HD (about 100 Mb). and I
'd like to be sure it will work.

The processor is : Intel celeron 600 Mhz, socket ID : 370

The chipset of the mobo is : Intel Whitney i810

The HD interface : Ultra-ATA/66
The transfer rate : 66.6 Mb/s

My fear is that my system doesn't accept HD more than 32 Gb.

Assuming you mean 100GB, if your system bios doesn't recognize the complete
amount, there are utilities that usually come with the drive that will
allow the bios to see it all. Maxtor calls their's Maxblast.

Brad H

Of course, it's 100 Gb
10 days ago, I tested a 100 Gb maxtor with the maxblast utility. I don't
know if I waited a long time enough, but I stopped the test after 20
mns: I thought this HD didn't work on my PC. maybe, I was wrong...

thank you for your answer

Claude

Old November 5th 05, 01:43 AM
DevilsPGD

In message claude
wrote:

Of course, it's 100 Gb

Just to be pedantic, I suspect you mean GB not Gb. Traditionally
uppercase B means bytes, lowercase means bits.

100Gb is only about 12.5GB.

Just a minor annoyance to me, since I see people confusing units all the
time at $DAYJOB and it drives me nuts.

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Old November 5th 05, 03:16 AM
David Maynard

DevilsPGD wrote:

In message claude
wrote:

Of course, it's 100 Gb

Just to be pedantic, I suspect you mean GB not Gb. Traditionally
uppercase B means bytes, lowercase means bits.

100Gb is only about 12.5GB.

Just a minor annoyance to me, since I see people confusing units all the
time at $DAYJOB and it drives me nuts.

Hey, if you really want to drive them nuts point out that the proper binary
prefixes are

kibi Ki kilobinary
mebi Mi megabinary
gibi Gi gigabinary

so it's 100GiB.

Old November 5th 05, 10:30 AM
claude

DevilsPGD a écrit:
In message claude
wrote:

Of course, it's 100 Gb

Just to be pedantic, I suspect you mean GB not Gb. Traditionally
uppercase B means bytes, lowercase means bits.

100Gb is only about 12.5GB.

Just a minor annoyance to me, since I see people confusing units all the
time at $DAYJOB and it drives me nuts.

I'm not sure you would be so pedantic if you have to write in French !