System Beeps - Five Beeps (One long, two short, high pitch, low pitch)

Old January 28th 04, 10:58 PM
Huw E

Default System Beeps - Five Beeps (One long, two short, high pitch, low pitch)

- Sorry if this has posted twice

Hi

Hope someone can help me with this. I know its long but..

Over the last week my Asus A7V133 has had problems booting. When I boot I
hear one long beep and two short beeps, followed by a high pitched tone and
a low pitched tone (five beeps in total) and refuses to POST, never mind
windows. However, rebooting has allowed me to get past POST, BIOS screen and
into windows.

However, today rebooting has not worked I can't get past POST.

I understand that one long beep and two short beeps represent a video
problem, but what about the additional high and low tone beeps. What does it
mean?

I've tried taking the video card out and putting it back in (ensuring it's
in fully), but no joy. I've tried the video card in another computer and it
works fine. I've taken the sound card, modem etc out as well, leaving a
minimal system, but with no luck. I've taken the 3 memory sticks out and
tried them one by one and in different slots but no success. I haven't
noticed any damage on the motherboard.

I have managed to get it working on only a couple of occasions since.
However, whenever I've turned off the computer from Windows and tried
booting again it doesn't work. It seems a bit random to me.

I've tried resetting BIOS default settings. The BIOS is the latest version.

I've noticed the chipset fan isn't working correctly on the motherboard.
Sometimes the fan works (but doesn't get past the BIOS) and sometimes its
spins for a second and stops. However, the occasions when booting has
worked, the motherboard fan wasn't operating. Weird or not?

I've had the motherboard for 3 years without any problems. The only recent
change to my system was an extra stick of memory a few months back.

Spec:

OS: XP Pro, CPU: AMD Athlon-PECM, 1200 MHz, Motherboard: Asus A7V133,
Chipset: VIA VT8363A Apollo KT133A, Memory: 768 MB (3x256 SDRAM PC133),
BIOS Type: Award Medallion (04/23/02), Video: ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON (32
MB), Audio: Creative SB Live! Player 1024 Sound Card. Voltage values are all
fine.

Thanks for any help

Huw