Swapping a SSD to a new notebook

Old December 6th 17, 01:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Richard S

Default Swapping a SSD to a new notebook

I have a 2 year old Dell XPS13 laptop, which has died as a result of a
serious liquiud spill. The 256GB SSD appears to have survived, and I
believe it is still fully fucntional.
What are the chances that if I buy a new Dell XPS 13, with the same
specs, and put the old SSD in it,the new XPS 13 will boot up and run
with the OS and apps from the old laptop?
What are the potential problems?
Thanks for any advice.
Richard

Old December 7th 17, 08:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Richard S

On Wed, 6 Dec 2017 13:46:35 -0800 (PST), Ben Myers
wrote:
Thanks Ben, that is very helpful.
Is it difficult to change the serial number or service tag, and would
you recommend doing this?
Richard

Old December 7th 17, 10:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

I swapped a HD from a failed Vostro 1400 into a
working (but slower) Vostro 1400 and it worked
okay, thinking it was the failed machine.

Except found new hardware comes up on boot, which
I just cancel.

I needed the failed machine to resurrect with its
data, is the reason for the swap.

Old December 7th 17, 11:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

If you plan on long-term use of the working Vostro 1400, install the drivers, of course.

One does not necessarily have to use a system with the same model to resurrect data, provided one has the right tools at hand... Ben

Old December 9th 17, 01:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Ben Myers wrote:

If you plan on long-term use of the working Vostro 1400, install the drivers, of course.

One does not necessarily have to use a system with the same model to resurrect data, provided one has the right tools at hand... Ben

On Thursday, December 7, 2017 at 4:32:28 PM UTC-5, Ron Hardin wrote:
I swapped a HD from a failed Vostro 1400 into a
working (but slower) Vostro 1400 and it worked
okay, thinking it was the failed machine.

Except found new hardware comes up on boot, which
I just cancel.

I needed the failed machine to resurrect with its
data, is the reason for the swap.

Actually it stays up 24/7 for a year at a time, backing up the main machine every
night and sending it on to idrive.com, so the message doesn't come up much.

Everything is Cygwin under XP run by thousands of shell scripts.

A version of Cygwin, unfortunately, that sometimes breaks intel wifi drivers and the
idrive system by getting process termination signals screwed up, but not so often that
it can't be lived with.

If you upgrade Cygwin then other stuff stops working. Like they changed the bash
syntax just for starters.

So it's all avoiding bit rot.