AIW 9000 Pro Fan - What For Replacement?

Old July 17th 04, 07:16 PM
Dick

Default AIW 9000 Pro Fan - What For Replacement?

I have an ATI AIW 9000 Pro board that has been really noisy since day
one. I want to replace the fan. I bought an Iceberq VGA cooling fan
from Fry's, but I need something else. The Iceberq is closed at the
bottom, and I need airflow through the fan like the OEM version. I
have tried to remove the heatsink, but it's really stuck on there, and
I am afraid to damage the chip. So what I need is a fan that is open
on both sides that will either fit down into the stock heatsink, or
one that can be glued on top of the heatsink.

I looked at the Zalman solution, but that requires removal of the
heatsink, and it doesn't show compatibility with the AIW 9000 Pro. I
want a very quiet fan.

Old July 20th 04, 10:37 PM
Echo

Dick,
Not sure if this helps but I have a Sapphire R9000pro not the AIW and use a
Zalman passive solution which is great because there is NO more noise from
the video card. That is a Zalman ZM80A-HP. The fan was easy to remove and
used to be the noisiest part of my PC. Now I can barely hear the PC at all.

David

Old July 21st 04, 04:37 AM
Dick

Thanks. I took the coward way out and bought a Diamond S80 without a
fan. I will put the AIW in another computer where the noise is not a
factor. I was surprised that it didn't get rid of as much noise as I
had anticipated. Now I will have to work on the cpu and power supply
fans. Dell 4550.

Dick

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:37:45 GMT, "Echo" wrote:

Dick,
Not sure if this helps but I have a Sapphire R9000pro not the AIW and use a
Zalman passive solution which is great because there is NO more noise from
the video card. That is a Zalman ZM80A-HP. The fan was easy to remove and
used to be the noisiest part of my PC. Now I can barely hear the PC at all.

David

.. .