old Latitude, no 8 i k , ] and =

Old April 16th 06, 10:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default old Latitude, no 8 i k , ] and =

Have old Latitude CPIR, 400MHz PII. Has problem in which 8 i k , ] and =
keys are often not responsive. I found a lot of theories and proposed fixes
by googling including tightening screws underneath, adding insulation,
remove and clean contacts, etc. etc. Is there any definitive understanding
and fix for the problem? Is there a replacement keyboard that will fix the
problem?

RC

Old April 17th 06, 02:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Raymond Cruz" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Have old Latitude CPIR, 400MHz PII. Has problem in which 8 i k , ] and =
keys are often not responsive. I found a lot of theories and proposed
fixes
by googling including tightening screws underneath, adding insulation,
remove and clean contacts, etc. etc. Is there any definitive
understanding
and fix for the problem? Is there a replacement keyboard that will fix
the
problem?

RC

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...e+CPi+keyboard

....or call Dell spare parts at 1-800-357-3355.

Shouldn't cost you more than $30 either way.

Stew

Old April 17th 06, 02:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

iirc the latitude cpi is the same as the inspiron 3800. the problem with
the 3800 was either the keyboard connection to the motherboard or the
connection on the motherboard itself. my experience with them was that
removing and replacing the keyboard often solved the problem but sometimes
it would come back. replacement of the keyboard with a new one (not used as
often found on ebay, so be careful) would the next choice. and then the
motherboard if neither of those would help. dell replaced every motherboard
on all the machines of this model in my office yet it still occasionally
happened so we kept spare keyboards on hand.
here's the service manual. page 23 details he keyboard removal and
replacement.
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...e/5648ptb0.pdf