Dropped Ext hard drive!

Old December 21st 08, 11:35 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
j8zel

Default Dropped Ext hard drive!

Hi all!

I recently dropped my external hard drive while it was off.....
Now when I turn it on and connect it to my laptop, its sounds normal
but my laptop does not recognise the drive. How can I recover all my
files?
Ive searched online for this problem but the only ones I found are the
ones where the ext hard drive are dropped while it's still on.
Please help!

Old December 21st 08, 12:22 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
pip22[_8_]

A hard drive can be damaged by dropping it whether it's switched on or
off at the time, but if the drive is actually being read from or written
to at the time, the damage can be more serious because the read/write
heads are directly over the disk platters and can crash into them which
damages the platters beyond all hope of data recovery.

When the drive is switched off however, the read/write heads themselves
can sustain damage when the drive is dropped because they are comprised
of delicate moving parts.

If you can remove the drive from it's external casing you can fit it to
your laptop in place of the existing one temporarily and run the
manufacturer's diagnostic tool on it.
Windows is not required for running this test as the diagnostic tool
loads from a bootable floppy or CD which also loads a version of DOS to
enable the tool to run. It's therefore possible to test a drive even if
the PC cannot read anything that's on it. If the disk is physically
damaged to such an extent that the diagnostic tool cannot test it, you
can regard it as beyond all hope I'm afraid.

Find out what make the disk is inside the external casing, then go that
manufacturer's website and click on their 'Downloads' or 'Support'
links.

Old December 22nd 08, 11:03 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously j8zel wrote:

Hi all!

I recently dropped my external hard drive while it was off.....
Now when I turn it on and connect it to my laptop, its sounds normal
but my laptop does not recognise the drive. How can I recover all my
files?
Ive searched online for this problem but the only ones I found are the
ones where the ext hard drive are dropped while it's still on.
Please help!

Very likely nothing you can do. Try professional data recovery
and be prepared to pay a lot.

Arno

Old December 22nd 08, 11:13 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
CJT

Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously j8zel wrote:

Hi all!

I recently dropped my external hard drive while it was off.....
Now when I turn it on and connect it to my laptop, its sounds normal
but my laptop does not recognise the drive. How can I recover all my
files?
Ive searched online for this problem but the only ones I found are the
ones where the ext hard drive are dropped while it's still on.
Please help!

Very likely nothing you can do. Try professional data recovery
and be prepared to pay a lot.

Arno

There is a chance the drive is ok, but a connector has come loose inside
the external case, or some other damage has been sustained. I'd open
the case and do a careful visual inspection of its innards. Modern
drives can withstand a fair amount of shock before failing.

Old December 23rd 08, 06:23 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously CJT wrote:
Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously j8zel wrote:

Hi all!

I recently dropped my external hard drive while it was off.....
Now when I turn it on and connect it to my laptop, its sounds normal
but my laptop does not recognise the drive. How can I recover all my
files?
Ive searched online for this problem but the only ones I found are the
ones where the ext hard drive are dropped while it's still on.
Please help!

Very likely nothing you can do. Try professional data recovery
and be prepared to pay a lot.

Arno

There is a chance the drive is ok, but a connector has come loose inside
the external case, or some other damage has been sustained. I'd open
the case and do a careful visual inspection of its innards. Modern
drives can withstand a fair amount of shock before failing.

It is a small chance, but worth looking at. Agreed. If you
get it wto work this way, better expect it to die fast, read
within hours. I dropped a 750G Samsung some time ago and could
just barely get the data off it before it quit permanently.

Arno
Old December 29th 08, 11:59 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
j8zel[_2_]

pip22;886311 Wrote:
[...]

hi there!

thanks for the advice.
im worried now. i dont understand how i could put the hard drive into
my laptop since its its a normal hdd when the laptop hdd is half the
size. could you explain that bit to me please.

cheers

Old December 29th 08, 12:01 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
j8zel[_3_]

CJT;889376 Wrote:
Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously j8zel wrote:

[...]

hey thanks for the reply.....once i open the hdd what em I looking for?
cheers

Old December 30th 08, 02:04 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
CJT

j8zel wrote:

CJT;889376 Wrote:

Arno Wagner wrote:

Previously j8zel wrote:

[...]

Don't open the drive. Open the external case it's in. Look for damage.