A Computer hardware and components forum. ComputerBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ComputerBanter.com forum » General Hardware & Peripherals » General
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

need asus cpu fan replacement



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 28th 18, 11:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike S
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 68
Default need asus cpu fan replacement

My neighbor's desktop computer ASUS Essentio Model CM6850 needs a cpu
fan, it's making a lot of noise and not spinning up to speed, sounds
like a bad bearing, the fan is model AUB0812VH.

How can I look up the part number for that exact item so I can replace
the fan with a replacement the software will be able to monitor?

I took a chance and bought a same model fan but with a brown instead of
red wire (originals are blue black red yellow) and the machine wouldn't
boot - it didn't detect the fan. Thank God I didn't blow the m/b.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  #2  
Old April 29th 18, 12:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 675
Default need asus cpu fan replacement

On 4/28/2018 6:50 PM, Mike S wrote:
My neighbor's desktop computer ASUS Essentio Model CM6850 needs a cpu fan,
it's making a lot of noise and not spinning up to speed, sounds like a bad
bearing, the fan is model AUB0812VH.

How can I look up the part number for that exact item so I can replace the
fan with a replacement the software will be able to monitor?

I took a chance and bought a same model fan but with a brown instead of red
wire (originals are blue black red yellow) and the machine wouldn't boot -
it didn't detect the fan. Thank God I didn't blow the m/b.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.


Nothing special about that fan that I can see -- just a bog-standard 80mm
4-pin cooling fan which should be available from a dozen makers. Here is
the exact item at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Delta-AUB0812.../dp/B00H0B3XS8

but there are similar items for 2/3 the price although scrimping on a
cooling fan is probably a bad idea in most cases unless you know the maker
well and trust them.
  #3  
Old April 29th 18, 02:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike S
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 68
Default need asus cpu fan replacement

On 4/28/2018 4:36 PM, John McGaw wrote:
On 4/28/2018 6:50 PM, Mike S wrote:
My neighbor's desktop computer ASUS Essentio Model CM6850 needs a cpu
fan, it's making a lot of noise and not spinning up to speed, sounds
like a bad bearing, the fan is model AUB0812VH.

How can I look up the part number for that exact item so I can replace
the fan with a replacement the software will be able to monitor?

I took a chance and bought a same model fan but with a brown instead
of red wire (originals are blue black red yellow) and the machine
wouldn't boot - it didn't detect the fan. Thank God I didn't blow the
m/b.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.


Nothing special about that fan that I can see -- just a bog-standard
80mm 4-pin cooling fan which should be available from a dozen makers.
Here is the exact item at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Delta-AUB0812.../dp/B00H0B3XS8

but there are similar items for 2/3 the price although scrimping on a
cooling fan is probably a bad idea in most cases unless you know the
maker well and trust them.


Damn, you nailed it. Thank you.
  #4  
Old April 29th 18, 02:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,296
Default need asus cpu fan replacement

Mike S wrote:

My neighbor's desktop computer ASUS Essentio Model CM6850 needs a cpu
fan, it's making a lot of noise and not spinning up to speed, sounds
like a bad bearing, the fan is model AUB0812VH.

How can I look up the part number for that exact item so I can replace
the fan with a replacement the software will be able to monitor?

I took a chance and bought a same model fan but with a brown instead of
red wire (originals are blue black red yellow) and the machine wouldn't
boot - it didn't detect the fan. Thank God I didn't blow the m/b.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.


How is the fan attached to the heatsink? Screws, hold-down wire bail,
or what? Likely you can use a replacement fan of the same size. You
can measure across the sides. Might be, for example, a 60mm fan (rather
small) or the same size as a case fan (80mm) and even possible its a
120mm fan. I don't know what heatsink comes stock in that computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47xTpv0aNYM

That video is for an Asus Essentio CM6870 so it's close to your model.
At timemark 1:49, the author tilts the case so the view of the 80mm
backpanel case fan is easy to see. It is bit smaller than the CPU fan
so I'm guessing a 92mm on the CPU's heatsink. Could not see how the fan
is held to the heatsink but probably via screws through the corner holes
in the fan that dig into the fins of the heatsink.

How much if your neighbor willing spend on a new CPU fan? The Noctua
fans are pricey but they last are usually pretty quiet. I suspect the
CPU header on the mobo is 4-pin so make sure the fan's connector matches
(so you don't have to do a frankenjob). You want a fan designed for PWM
(pulse width modulation) to change its rotational speed. I'm assuming
the BIOS or a program (e.g., Speedfan) or software that came with the
computer will change the fan's speed to keep it quiet until the load
increases whereupon more airflow is needed.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/y8pldu7r

Instead of getting a cheapy $6 fan that won't last a year, the Noctua
92mm 4-pin PWM fan costs about $16 (http://tinyurl.com/y8pldu7r).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIAADY4B02739

That one will probably work but you'll have to look at how the fan is
held to the heatsink. It is a low-profile fan so it is likely thinner
than the stock fan which means it will fit. It's up to you if you want
to attach a fan guard to the outside of the fan to make sure cables
don't accidentally get into the blades.

I'm pretty sure airflow through the fan is into the heatsink, not
outward. Positive air pressure results in less dust accumulation. If
there is a side-panel case fan, ensure both blow in the same direction.
If you replace the heatsink with a vertical unit, direction isn't
important as the air goes through the heatsink instead of smacking into
the heatsink's base and shooting out the sides. Just match the airflow
direction of the new fan with the old bad fan assuming the old fan was
put in correctly for airflow through the case.

When you have your neighbor's case open, you are going to expend a
couple cans of compressed air to blow out the dust, right? Do it
outside; else, all the dust goes into the run and back into the computer
and anything else. When blowing out the dust, use an ear swab on the
fan blades to dislodge the stuck-on filth. When blowing out the fans,
use a finger on a blade or the hub, or stick an ear swab through a fan
guard, to keep the fan from spinning when blowing through it.

Is the mobo's CPU header a 4-pin connection? Was the new fan you got
also a 4-pin connector? Did you check that you weren't off by a pin
when attaching the connector to the header? It may difficult to reverse
connector but it's not impossible: they polarizing guard on the one side
can flex. You did get a PWM-capable replacement fan, right?

https://allpinouts.org/pinouts/conne...cpu-4-pin-fan/
  #5  
Old April 29th 18, 02:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike S
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 68
Default need asus cpu fan replacement RESOLVED

On 4/28/2018 6:36 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
Mike S wrote:

My neighbor's desktop computer ASUS Essentio Model CM6850 needs a cpu
fan, it's making a lot of noise and not spinning up to speed, sounds
like a bad bearing, the fan is model AUB0812VH.

How can I look up the part number for that exact item so I can replace
the fan with a replacement the software will be able to monitor?

I took a chance and bought a same model fan but with a brown instead of
red wire (originals are blue black red yellow) and the machine wouldn't
boot - it didn't detect the fan. Thank God I didn't blow the m/b.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.


How is the fan attached to the heatsink? Screws, hold-down wire bail,
or what? Likely you can use a replacement fan of the same size. You
can measure across the sides. Might be, for example, a 60mm fan (rather
small) or the same size as a case fan (80mm) and even possible its a
120mm fan. I don't know what heatsink comes stock in that computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47xTpv0aNYM

That video is for an Asus Essentio CM6870 so it's close to your model.
At timemark 1:49, the author tilts the case so the view of the 80mm
backpanel case fan is easy to see. It is bit smaller than the CPU fan
so I'm guessing a 92mm on the CPU's heatsink. Could not see how the fan
is held to the heatsink but probably via screws through the corner holes
in the fan that dig into the fins of the heatsink.

How much if your neighbor willing spend on a new CPU fan? The Noctua
fans are pricey but they last are usually pretty quiet. I suspect the
CPU header on the mobo is 4-pin so make sure the fan's connector matches
(so you don't have to do a frankenjob). You want a fan designed for PWM
(pulse width modulation) to change its rotational speed. I'm assuming
the BIOS or a program (e.g., Speedfan) or software that came with the
computer will change the fan's speed to keep it quiet until the load
increases whereupon more airflow is needed.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/y8pldu7r

Instead of getting a cheapy $6 fan that won't last a year, the Noctua
92mm 4-pin PWM fan costs about $16 (http://tinyurl.com/y8pldu7r).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIAADY4B02739

That one will probably work but you'll have to look at how the fan is
held to the heatsink. It is a low-profile fan so it is likely thinner
than the stock fan which means it will fit. It's up to you if you want
to attach a fan guard to the outside of the fan to make sure cables
don't accidentally get into the blades.

I'm pretty sure airflow through the fan is into the heatsink, not
outward. Positive air pressure results in less dust accumulation. If
there is a side-panel case fan, ensure both blow in the same direction.
If you replace the heatsink with a vertical unit, direction isn't
important as the air goes through the heatsink instead of smacking into
the heatsink's base and shooting out the sides. Just match the airflow
direction of the new fan with the old bad fan assuming the old fan was
put in correctly for airflow through the case.

When you have your neighbor's case open, you are going to expend a
couple cans of compressed air to blow out the dust, right? Do it
outside; else, all the dust goes into the run and back into the computer
and anything else. When blowing out the dust, use an ear swab on the
fan blades to dislodge the stuck-on filth. When blowing out the fans,
use a finger on a blade or the hub, or stick an ear swab through a fan
guard, to keep the fan from spinning when blowing through it.

Is the mobo's CPU header a 4-pin connection? Was the new fan you got
also a 4-pin connector? Did you check that you weren't off by a pin
when attaching the connector to the header? It may difficult to reverse
connector but it's not impossible: they polarizing guard on the one side
can flex. You did get a PWM-capable replacement fan, right?

https://allpinouts.org/pinouts/conne...cpu-4-pin-fan/


Thank you for the detailed post. John McGaw found a model that looks
perfect. The fan attaches by pressing the holes in the corners into
plastic pins until small snaps at each pin snap over the edge of the
plastic fan housing to clasp it. Works great, fast dis/assembly.



  #6  
Old April 29th 18, 06:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,296
Default need asus cpu fan replacement RESOLVED

Mike S wrote:

John McGaw found a model that looks perfect. The fan attaches by
pressing the holes in the corners into plastic pins until small snaps
at each pin snap over the edge of the plastic fan housing to clasp
it. Works great, fast dis/assembly.


You could get it at half the price at Newegg; see:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIAAES6CM9290
(5% off by using the promo code SXDOOL5)

Both Amazon and Newegg operate storefronts they sell to sellers. For
both the Amazon and Newegg listing, some 3rd party is selling. The
product does not come from Amazon or Newegg but through a storefront
there. For the price of the Delta fan through Amazon, you could get a
better Noctua fan through Newegg.

It is cheaper at Newegg, and that item includes free standard shipping.
Also, Newegg covers Marketplace sellers with Newegg's own guarantee
(https://kb.newegg.com/Article/Index/12/3?id=1172). With Amazon, you
only have the seller to resolve problems. Usually Amazon is more
expensive even at the same product price because of shipping; however,
this item claims free standard shipping, too. With Newegg cheaper on
price on the same product, free shipping (to match the Amazon ad), and
with Newegg's additional guarantee, I'd go with Newegg.

That fan is even cheaper at eBay ($6.84) and also with free shipping;
see http://tinyurl.com/ybezmxq8. eBay has their Buyer Protection.
Since you were looking for a USA seller, I selected the option at eBay
to list only USA seller locations. You might want to elect "Buy It Now"
to eliminate any auctions that only take bids (which delays when you win
the item and way too buyers are boobs that overprice their winning bid).

In the meantime, you might want to blow the dust out of your neighbor's
computer, including cleaning the fans how I mentioned. It's possible
that crud is layered on the fan's blade which throws it out of balance,
so it makes more noise.
  #7  
Old April 29th 18, 07:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_26_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 885
Default need asus cpu fan replacement RESOLVED

Mike S wrote:
On 4/28/2018 6:36 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
Mike S wrote:

My neighbor's desktop computer ASUS Essentio Model CM6850 needs a cpu
fan, it's making a lot of noise and not spinning up to speed, sounds
like a bad bearing, the fan is model AUB0812VH.

How can I look up the part number for that exact item so I can replace
the fan with a replacement the software will be able to monitor?

I took a chance and bought a same model fan but with a brown instead of
red wire (originals are blue black red yellow) and the machine wouldn't
boot - it didn't detect the fan. Thank God I didn't blow the m/b.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.


How is the fan attached to the heatsink? Screws, hold-down wire bail,
or what? Likely you can use a replacement fan of the same size. You
can measure across the sides. Might be, for example, a 60mm fan (rather
small) or the same size as a case fan (80mm) and even possible its a
120mm fan. I don't know what heatsink comes stock in that computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47xTpv0aNYM

That video is for an Asus Essentio CM6870 so it's close to your model.
At timemark 1:49, the author tilts the case so the view of the 80mm
backpanel case fan is easy to see. It is bit smaller than the CPU fan
so I'm guessing a 92mm on the CPU's heatsink. Could not see how the fan
is held to the heatsink but probably via screws through the corner holes
in the fan that dig into the fins of the heatsink.

How much if your neighbor willing spend on a new CPU fan? The Noctua
fans are pricey but they last are usually pretty quiet. I suspect the
CPU header on the mobo is 4-pin so make sure the fan's connector matches
(so you don't have to do a frankenjob). You want a fan designed for PWM
(pulse width modulation) to change its rotational speed. I'm assuming
the BIOS or a program (e.g., Speedfan) or software that came with the
computer will change the fan's speed to keep it quiet until the load
increases whereupon more airflow is needed.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/y8pldu7r

Instead of getting a cheapy $6 fan that won't last a year, the Noctua
92mm 4-pin PWM fan costs about $16 (http://tinyurl.com/y8pldu7r).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIAADY4B02739

That one will probably work but you'll have to look at how the fan is
held to the heatsink. It is a low-profile fan so it is likely thinner
than the stock fan which means it will fit. It's up to you if you want
to attach a fan guard to the outside of the fan to make sure cables
don't accidentally get into the blades.

I'm pretty sure airflow through the fan is into the heatsink, not
outward. Positive air pressure results in less dust accumulation. If
there is a side-panel case fan, ensure both blow in the same direction.
If you replace the heatsink with a vertical unit, direction isn't
important as the air goes through the heatsink instead of smacking into
the heatsink's base and shooting out the sides. Just match the airflow
direction of the new fan with the old bad fan assuming the old fan was
put in correctly for airflow through the case.

When you have your neighbor's case open, you are going to expend a
couple cans of compressed air to blow out the dust, right? Do it
outside; else, all the dust goes into the run and back into the computer
and anything else. When blowing out the dust, use an ear swab on the
fan blades to dislodge the stuck-on filth. When blowing out the fans,
use a finger on a blade or the hub, or stick an ear swab through a fan
guard, to keep the fan from spinning when blowing through it.

Is the mobo's CPU header a 4-pin connection? Was the new fan you got
also a 4-pin connector? Did you check that you weren't off by a pin
when attaching the connector to the header? It may difficult to reverse
connector but it's not impossible: they polarizing guard on the one side
can flex. You did get a PWM-capable replacement fan, right?

https://allpinouts.org/pinouts/conne...cpu-4-pin-fan/


Thank you for the detailed post. John McGaw found a model that looks
perfect. The fan attaches by pressing the holes in the corners into
plastic pins until small snaps at each pin snap over the edge of the
plastic fan housing to clasp it. Works great, fast dis/assembly.


If you hadn't found an exact match, the fan catalog lists the
fans in a given standard size as

low, medium, high, ultra

each with a different CFM (and noise) rating.

And you try to replace a fan with a fan of the same class,
at least, if you can figure out what it is.

I have one Ultra here, which is 110CFM. It was an impulse
buy at my electronics store, because it was so nicely
constructed. I keep that one turned down, as at full speed,
you couldn't sit next to it. That Ultra is all metal construction
(metal blade, metal frame).

Practical fans are low and medium.

30dBa is a decent threshold. If it's above 30dBa, you'll probably
be able to hear it.

Typical case fans are 35CFM. And there is actually a cooling equation
for the computer total power, that tells you how many CFM the exhaust
fan on your PC needs to be. The math might predict one or two 35CFM
fans are needed for the back of the PC.

So while you didn't get exposed to any details on this purchase
exercise, there are a few if you need to shop for a generic
solution.

I replaced the fan on my CoolerMaster CPU heatsink with a Vantec
Stealth, and that was mainly because the heatsink was really
more than the poor CPU I bought needed. So I could go "down
a notch" on fan speed for the replacement. My CPU fans here
generally aren't set up for speed control, and they just
run at some fixed speed for their entire lives. The Vantec
Stealth is a three pin fan, and the third wire is RPM. And the
RPM signal keeps the BIOS happy :-) if the RPM signal is missing
from the CPU fan header, the BIOS may stop the machine on
POST and seek to warn you about it. The four pin fan, the fourth
signal is the speed control.

You can use a three pin fan on a four pin header - that's what
I did with the Vantec Stealth. The keying tab will guide either
a three pin or four pin into place. By using the three pin, and
not having a fourth pin, I have no speed control. But since a
Stealth isn't all that loud, it doesn't really matter what
speed it runs at, as far as noise is concerned.

If I'd put the Ultra I bought on top of the CPU heatsink,
now that I'd be able to hear. And the CPU would
"operate at sub-zero" with that much fan on it :-)
The Ultra fan draws 1 ampere of current when spinning,
so it's a bit of a pig. To power the Ultra, I use a Molex
power connector, rather than a 3 pin fan connector or similar.

Once the current draw gets high enough on a fan, it's
time to "think defensively" about power sources for it.
While the motherboard manual has a section with a terse
"current flow spec" for the headers, it's not always possible
to decode exactly what they mean on those. The terse statement
leaves a bit too much to the imagination. The motherboard
fan connectors are not protected with fuses, and it's actually
easy to burn out a fan header if you're not careful. If you
do burn out the header power track (+12V), you can get adapter
cables to bypass it, so it's not the end of the world.

If I were to plug four Ultras into my current motherboard,
I'd definitely blow the power track. And I don't even need to
look up the numbers in the manual to guess at the outcome.
A ballpark figure for a fan header is 350mA, a Low might
draw 100mA, but for exact figures, consult your user manual.
The current flow number, may be printed on the fan hub label.

Paul
  #8  
Old April 29th 18, 10:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike S
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 68
Default need asus cpu fan replacement RESOLVED

On 4/28/2018 10:01 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
Mike S wrote:

John McGaw found a model that looks perfect. The fan attaches by
pressing the holes in the corners into plastic pins until small snaps
at each pin snap over the edge of the plastic fan housing to clasp
it. Works great, fast dis/assembly.


You could get it at half the price at Newegg; see:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIAAES6CM9290
(5% off by using the promo code SXDOOL5)

Both Amazon and Newegg operate storefronts they sell to sellers. For
both the Amazon and Newegg listing, some 3rd party is selling. The
product does not come from Amazon or Newegg but through a storefront
there. For the price of the Delta fan through Amazon, you could get a
better Noctua fan through Newegg.

It is cheaper at Newegg, and that item includes free standard shipping.
Also, Newegg covers Marketplace sellers with Newegg's own guarantee
(https://kb.newegg.com/Article/Index/12/3?id=1172). With Amazon, you
only have the seller to resolve problems. Usually Amazon is more
expensive even at the same product price because of shipping; however,
this item claims free standard shipping, too. With Newegg cheaper on
price on the same product, free shipping (to match the Amazon ad), and
with Newegg's additional guarantee, I'd go with Newegg.

That fan is even cheaper at eBay ($6.84) and also with free shipping;
see http://tinyurl.com/ybezmxq8. eBay has their Buyer Protection.
Since you were looking for a USA seller, I selected the option at eBay
to list only USA seller locations. You might want to elect "Buy It Now"
to eliminate any auctions that only take bids (which delays when you win
the item and way too buyers are boobs that overprice their winning bid).

In the meantime, you might want to blow the dust out of your neighbor's
computer, including cleaning the fans how I mentioned. It's possible
that crud is layered on the fan's blade which throws it out of balance,
so it makes more noise.

Thanks Vanguard, great research, thank you.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacement Mobo for an Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe? Warren Homebuilt PC's 7 March 8th 08 08:58 PM
Asus P4B DOA need replacement peterf Asus Motherboards 2 November 13th 06 07:48 AM
Replacement for Asus P4t-E motherboard Loc Ploumen General 1 June 13th 06 12:15 AM
Replacement Fan/Hsink for Asus V8460 Ultra Acedrew Nvidia Videocards 1 April 10th 05 12:22 PM
Asus P5AD2 Premium and Replacement intel coolers Leigh-Anne Mills Asus Motherboards 2 October 24th 04 07:55 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 ComputerBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.