A7N8X-DELUX digital audio problem

Old November 24th 04, 12:02 AM
Dale Sampson

Default A7N8X-DELUX digital audio problem

This is making me crazy!

Problem: Play any DVD with digital audio encoding and the digital audio is
passed through to my speakers without being decoded. (there is no analog
output at all when a DVD is played !?)
This used to work - I'm not sure what screwed it up.

Drivers: Asus Nforce 1.16 ( Nvidia 5.10.2917).
Speakers: Altec-lansing acs56 (4.1 surround - digital input without
decoding)
OS: XP-Pro sp2

I have disabled audio in BIOS, completely uninstalled the drivers,
re-enabled audio and reinstalled the drivers. Same problem.

I did try the newer nvidia driver also - same problem (and I do like the 5.1
mixer better anyway so prefer it).

I did get it to work - briefly - by disabling audio in BIOS & installing SB
Live 5.0 card. DVD played ok with the SB. I removed the SB and re-enabled
audio in BIOS and reinstalled the drivers. It worked! YES! Then got some
kind of %@*#% disk error with scan disk finding several cross linked files
in \inf folder so I had to do a restore which (of course) wiped out my
recent audio driver install. Since this, I cant get it to work at all.

Does anyone have any idea what this is about? Suggestions? Ideas?

thanks,

Dale

Old November 24th 04, 02:40 PM
Rob Hemmings

"Dale Sampson" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

First thing is to download and run the manufacturers test utility on your
hard disk to make sure that isn't about to die on you. If that reports your
HD as ok, then doing what you did to get it working last time should
work again. I've also seen this effect when there's an mpeg2 codec
problem - reinstalling the DVD player software usually fixes this one.
HTH
--
Rob

Old November 24th 04, 11:13 PM
Dale Sampson

Rob,

Thank you again. The problem was fixed by uninstall / install of DVD
player, no need to do anything else with the audio drivers.

I don't think I'd every have tried that without your prompting!

Best regards,