replacement for all in wonder 9800

Old August 22nd 06, 01:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Jazz

Default replacement for all in wonder 9800

I have a friend whos ATI AIW 9800 apparently has been the victim of a
lightning strike a few days ago... the only color that shows up is red,
despite any adjustments on the card properties, reinstallation,
different monitors, etc... kind of evil looking actually...

....anyway, I was wondering, is there a replacement card for this model?
What is the model if they do. However, if they still sell this model
great, but if I cant run to the local Best Buy for it, what should I
look for? He uses it for pretty much every feature it offers....

thanks in advance!
Jazz Mann

Old August 22nd 06, 01:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Kent_Diego

I have a friend whos ATI AIW 9800 apparently has been the victim of a
lightning strike a few days ago... the only color that shows up is red,
despite any adjustments on the card properties, reinstallation,
different monitors, etc... kind of evil looking actually...

...anyway, I was wondering, is there a replacement card for this model?
What is the model if they do. However, if they still sell this model
great, but if I cant run to the local Best Buy for it, what should I
look for? He uses it for pretty much every feature it offers....

If it is a true Built By ATI card, RMA back to ATI for a free replacment. Do
not ever buy a video card from Best Buy, you will get ripped off. This is
where (or Newwegg.com) to get the best price on a video card:
http://PriceWatch.com
The 9800AIW is a great card. If he liked it get another one. The X800AIW is
reasonably priced.

Kent

Old August 22nd 06, 02:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Jazz

ATI will take back cards damaged by acts of God?
what if he never registered it? He may have, but who keps up with that?
thanks in advance!

ph, and i love newegg... but this guy makes loads of cash and wont mind
going to best buy... you should have seen his office set up...
radiologist... but for me, yeah, newegg is fine...
Jazz Mann

Old August 22nd 06, 03:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Barry Watzman

It most certainly is not always true that you will always get ripped off
at Best Buy. Certainly there have been isolated incidents at BB (and
everywhere else), but in general they are selling the same merchandise
as everyone else, and if the price is right (and at least sometimes it
can be VERY right), there is no good reason not to buy there.

Old August 22nd 06, 03:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Barry Watzman

ATI won't know what happened to the card, only that it's not working
(there's clearly an ethics question here, but that's another issue). To
RMA it you will need a copy of the purchase invoice showing that it's
still in warranty. You will also need the information on the label on
the card (p/n and s/n). If you have all of those, and it's in warranty,
they will probably accept it for RMA.

Understand that AGP video cards are dead, and that your next system
won't use one, it will use PCI Express. For this reason, I can't argue
in favor of buying a new AGP card, even if you can find one. However
there are plenty of used cards around on E-Bay.

Old August 22nd 06, 04:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Kent_Diego

ATI won't know what happened to the card, only that it's not working
(there's clearly an ethics question here, but that's another issue). To
RMA it you will need a copy of the purchase invoice showing that it's
still in warranty. You will also need the information on the label on the
card (p/n and s/n). If you have all of those, and it's in warranty, they
will probably accept it for RMA.

I have RMA'ed several ATI video cards. Just go to their webstie and find the
online RMA form. Enter the info (S/A and P/N)and wait for the RMA
authorization number. Then send the card to them. They try to get you a
replacement within a week.

The great RMA was the reason I always bought ATI. Now they changed warantee
from three years to one year so I will be buying lifetime garanteed nVidea
cards (eVGA, XFX, BFG) from now on.

Old August 22nd 06, 09:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
KILOWATT

Barry is right. Newer card are PCI Express... AGP is an interface no longer
used for 2005 and up, cards. So it is for motherboards. Not wise for your
friend to pay the full retail price for an AGP card that will be fitted in a
system that will probably soon be replaced anyway. Better to buy a cheap
new/used AIW 9800 for now since that card will have to be left in the actual
machine when he upgrades.

Used/new AIW cards actually available:
http://tinyurl.com/rugqg

--
Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
Montréal Québec

Old August 22nd 06, 09:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
KILOWATT

And keep in mind that if he fits a replacement AIW 9800, he won't have to
bother installing new software.

Old August 23rd 06, 02:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Jazz

good call, found a guy on ebay willing to end his auction early for a
9800 pro, $140 which includes shipping... dont tell ebay, i know it is
against the rules....

Shuttle (the PC maker) said they can hook me up with a 350 watt power
supply, but then I would have to buy a new card, assume it will work
for his set up, and then still run the risk of the lightning having
affected more than JUST the video card... so I am going used...

thanks gentlemen!

Old August 23rd 06, 05:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
GMAN

In article .com, "Jazz" wrote:
good call, found a guy on ebay willing to end his auction early for a
9800 pro, $140 which includes shipping... dont tell ebay, i know it is
against the rules....

If its a plain 9800 Pro, he got ripped. I have bought two of them in the past
on Ebay for less than $50 each.