Can UK Xbox 360 output 1080p through vga cable?

Old August 23rd 06, 12:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
[email protected]

Default Can UK Xbox 360 output 1080p through vga cable?

Hi,

Can UK Xbox 360 output 1080p through vga cable? Is vga cable best way
of connecting to a 1080p tv? If I bought a 1900x1200 capable monitor
would I get 1080p output if I bought the hd-dvd player for Xbox 360?
Would the quality be good compared to HIDef TV that would be doing some
image processing on what it would be given? Sometimes 1900x1200 with
vga cable on a pc can look bad compared to using digital dvi
connectors.

Thanks for any advice?

Old August 24th 06, 10:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
John Lockwood

On 23/8/06 12:08, in article
, "
wrote:

Hi,

Can UK Xbox 360 output 1080p through vga cable? Is vga cable best way
of connecting to a 1080p tv? If I bought a 1900x1200 capable monitor
would I get 1080p output if I bought the hd-dvd player for Xbox 360?
Would the quality be good compared to HIDef TV that would be doing some
image processing on what it would be given? Sometimes 1900x1200 with
vga cable on a pc can look bad compared to using digital dvi
connectors.

Thanks for any advice?

Apparently the Xbox 360 can only do 1080i and not 1080p and the connection
(VGA or Component) does not matter. I also get the impression that the
choice of video codec used affects the Xbox 360 as well (for accessing
streams from Media Center).

In any case as you would obviously seem to be in the UK, this is all
completely irrelevant since MCE 2005 and even Vista Media Center do not
currently support any method at all of getting HDTV in the UK.

I agree HD over VGA on an LCD TV often looks poor (much worse than it would
on an equivalent computer LCD) compared to DVI. Unfortunately as Microsoft
had a brain seizure and failed to provide a HDMI or DVI connection for the
Xbox 360 you are stuck with VGA or Component. I get the impression Component
is the better.

As the Xbox 360 only does 1080i [the PS3 will do 1080p] then the forthcoming
Microsoft HD-DVD add-on will likewise be limited to 1080i. What's even more
worrying is that supposedly HD-DVD and Blu-Ray due to their extremely over
the top DRM protection would technically only work in HD if the connection
to the TV is a DVI or HDMI _NEITHER OF WHICH THE XBOX 360 SUPPORTS_. I
believe that at the moment the movie studies are 'allowing' HD-DVD and
Blu-Ray disks to be playable on Component in HD but at some point in the
future they plan to disable this.

Old August 24th 06, 11:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Unmutual

John Lockwood wrote:
On 23/8/06 12:08, in article
, "
wrote:

[...]

Current opinion suggests that we are likely to have a new generation of
Microsoft or Sony Consoles by then anyway.
Old August 24th 06, 07:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
dagreatwhite29

hey i just wanted you to know that i had that same trouble and yes the
vga cable is the way to go well for me hope i could help