Putting UPS's in series?

Old June 1st 10, 10:56 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
YKhan

Default Putting UPS's in series?

I'm wondering if there are any dangers or precautions to putting a
couple of UPS's in series to increase their power-on time?

Yousuf Khan
Old June 1st 10, 12:46 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Robert Redelmeier

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips YKhan wrote in part:
I'm wondering if there are any dangers or precautions to putting
a couple of UPS's in series to increase their power-on time?

Even presuming sufficient VA (=W/PF), few UPSes produce
nice sine waves on their outputs while most expect them on
their inputs. There may be problems [overheating] with the
second UPS. UPS should be able to handle poor powerfactor
draws since most computing devices are miserable.

It would be vastly preferable to put them in parallel
where you can split loads, like one for the CPU,
one for monitor & wallwarts.

-- Robert

Old June 1st 10, 03:50 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
YKhan

On Jun 1, 5:46*pm, Robert Redelmeier wrote:
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips YKhan wrote in part:

I'm wondering if there are any dangers or precautions to putting
a couple of UPS's in series to increase their power-on time?

Even presuming sufficient VA (=W/PF), few UPSes produce
nice sine waves on their outputs while most expect them on
their inputs. *There may be problems [overheating] with the
second UPS. *UPS should be able to handle poor powerfactor
draws since most computing devices are miserable.

It would be vastly preferable to put them in parallel
where you can split loads, like one for the CPU,
one for monitor & wallwarts.

-- Robert

That's what I was afraid of. I remember hearing something about that
sometime back, but I couldn't remember if I heard it right or what the
reason was, so I asked here.

Yousuf Khan
Old June 1st 10, 06:37 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Strobe

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 07:50:50 -0700 (PDT), YKhan wrote:

On Jun 1, 5:46*pm, Robert Redelmeier wrote:
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips YKhan wrote in part:

I'm wondering if there are any dangers or precautions to putting
a couple of UPS's in series to increase their power-on time?

Even presuming sufficient VA (=W/PF), few UPSes produce
nice sine waves on their outputs while most expect them on
their inputs. *There may be problems [overheating] with the
second UPS. *UPS should be able to handle poor powerfactor
draws since most computing devices are miserable.

It would be vastly preferable to put them in parallel
where you can split loads, like one for the CPU,
one for monitor & wallwarts.

If you do this, don't forget to put a small lamp on one of them.
Bad enough coping with a power outage without having to do it in the dark.

That's what I was afraid of. I remember hearing something about that
sometime back, but I couldn't remember if I heard it right or what the
reason was, so I asked here.

Have you looked into replacing the UPS battery with a larger capacity one?
This is the preferred (and more elegant) way to get longer power-up time.

--

Terry V.
Old June 1st 10, 07:51 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rick Jones

In comp.sys.intel Strobe wrote:
If you do this, don't forget to put a small lamp on one of them.
Bad enough coping with a power outage without having to do it in the dark.

That's what all the blinking lights are for - all real computers have
blinking lights right?-)

rick jones
Old June 1st 10, 08:38 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill Davidsen

YKhan wrote:
I'm wondering if there are any dangers or precautions to putting a
couple of UPS's in series to increase their power-on time?

In general it's more effective to split load or use a bigger UPS. With few
exceptions the output of a UPS is ugly with high frequency harmonics, resulting
on a bunch of losses.
Old June 1st 10, 08:43 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Steve Thompson[_2_]

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, Rick Jones wrote:

In comp.sys.intel Strobe wrote:
If you do this, don't forget to put a small lamp on one of them.
Bad enough coping with a power outage without having to do it in the dark.

That's what all the blinking lights are for - all real computers have
blinking lights right?-)

Absolutely. Anyway, we have a nice illuminated EXIT sign which is on
emergency power and so stays on when the power is out. The computers are
not, because the emergency power is turned off once every month for
"testing". Really.

Steve
Old June 1st 10, 11:45 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
LSMFT

YKhan wrote:
I'm wondering if there are any dangers or precautions to putting a
couple of UPS's in series to increase their power-on time?

Yousuf Khan

Series would double the voltage and blow your stuff up.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.
Old June 6th 10, 06:35 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Have you looked into replacing the UPS battery with a larger capacity
one?

This does not always work, especially if the UPS manufacturer never intended
for larger batteries to be used. The charging system may behave improperly,
especially with a cheap UPS.

This is the preferred (and more elegant) way to get longer power-up time.

One also has to consider the health and well being of the inverter. It may
not be able to take the added runtime if things are already close to the
limits. Again, I'd see this as more of a problem with a cheap UPS than a
good or even moderate quality unit.

William

Old June 6th 10, 06:36 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
William R. Walsh

Hi!

APC sez in their owner's manuals..."do not plug a UPS into another UPS or
into itself".

I've never been able to talk myself into ignoring that just to see what
happens. I expect that plugging a UPS into itself is begging for disaster
and will be very stressful on its circuitry at the least.

William