Intel's agreement with the FTC

Old August 20th 10, 03:15 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
chrisv

Default Intel's agreement with the FTC

Robert Myers wrote:

Good news for fanboys. For the industry? For real consumers? What a
joke.

LOL. What a "surprise" to see Mr Myers rushing to the defense of his
beloved Intel.

What scummy behavior, on their part.

Old August 20th 10, 03:27 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Robert Myers

On Aug 20, 10:15*am, chrisv wrote:
Robert Myers wrote:
Good news for fanboys. *For the industry? *For real consumers? *What a
joke.

LOL. *What a "surprise" to see Mr Myers rushing to the defense of his
beloved Intel.

What scummy behavior, on their part.

May I see your God credentials, please? Or are you totally
unacquainted with scripture?

Robert.
Old August 20th 10, 05:42 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 20/08/2010 10:15 AM, chrisv wrote:
Robert Myers wrote:

Good news for fanboys. For the industry? For real consumers? What a
joke.

LOL. What a "surprise" to see Mr Myers rushing to the defense of his
beloved Intel.

What scummy behavior, on their part.

And if you replace the word "Intel" with "Microsoft" in all of those
cases, he'll be in the exact opposite corner. But of course there's no
hint of incongruity in Mr. Myers.

Yousuf Khan
Old August 20th 10, 06:08 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Robert Myers

Robert Myers wrote:

Good news for fanboys. *For the industry? *For real consumers? *What a
joke.

LOL. *What a "surprise" to see Mr Myers rushing to the defense of his
beloved Intel.

What scummy behavior, on their part.

And if you replace the word "Intel" with "Microsoft" in all of those
cases, he'll be in the exact opposite corner. But of course there's no
hint of incongruity in Mr. Myers.

And Dr. Myers to you, Mr. Kahn. I'm sick of this.

The damage that Microsoft has done in the world of software is
extensive and perhaps irreversible. It is what it is. You can't
change it and neither can I.

Intel hasn't damaged anything. It gave you this little universe in
which you can be so self-righteous. Unfortunately, so did
Microsoft.

Its conceivable that, without Microsoft, we'd be in the increasingly
unattractive grasp of Steve Jobs.

What is the point of going on and on about it, especially when your
bleating provides nothing of your own insight but merely cuts and
pastes what others say and adds your moral condemnations?

On the processor end of things, we've wound up with a product that is
in some ways now so thoroughly optimized that serious people talk of
the end of computer architecture--however we got there.

On the software front, one thinks not of boring stasis but of
apocalypse. If it all just comes down to your own moral calculus, as
apparently it does, we have nothing useful to say to one another. Go
moralize to someone else, and keep your opinions about my character
to yourself.

An IBM architect asked me about the value of my grinding one of my
favorite axes on comp.arch. Needless to say, I've had some things to
say that are critical of choices that IBM has made. Those choices
have what I regard to be technical consequences that matter, and they
are being more often than not made with taxpayer dollars. I think I
get heard, and I can point to specific evidence that I get heard.

Where is the technical content in your endless moralizing? Whom are
you influencing?

Robert.

Old August 25th 10, 03:13 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Robert Myers

Robert Myers wrote:
Good news for fanboys. *For the industry? *For real consumers? *What a
joke.

LOL. *What a "surprise" to see Mr Myers rushing to the defense of his
beloved Intel.

What scummy behavior, on their part.

May I see your God credentials, please? *Or are you totally
unacquainted with scripture?

Weird.

I don't think it's weird at all.

You speak in a peremptory fashion, as if your judgments were obvious,
indisputable, and final. Leaving our readers across the Atlantic
out, we live in a country where some huge fraction of the population
claims to be Christian. Never mind what reality those claims
correspond to, they reflect a publicly-stated allegiance to a set of
values that should have some consonance with judgments that are
obvious, indisputable, and final.

The only real content of your post is moral judgment. According to
the commonly-accepted text, moral judgment is a job to be left to
God. Either

1. You are out of line with publicly-declared allegiances to values,
or

2. You have some credentials that qualify you to judge for God.

Robert.
Old August 26th 10, 06:07 AM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 25/08/2010 10:13 AM, Robert Myers wrote:
On Aug 25, 9:09 am, wrote:
Robert Myers wrote:
On Aug 20, 10:15 am, wrote:
What scummy behavior, on their part.

May I see your God credentials, please? Or are you totally
unacquainted with scripture?

Weird.

I don't think it's weird at all.

So "scummy behaviour" is a judgment only god can make, now? Is it one of
the ten commandments: "Thou shalt not conduct thine behaviour scummily?

You speak in a peremptory fashion, as if your judgments were obvious,
indisputable, and final. Leaving our readers across the Atlantic
out, we live in a country where some huge fraction of the population
claims to be Christian. Never mind what reality those claims
correspond to, they reflect a publicly-stated allegiance to a set of
values that should have some consonance with judgments that are
obvious, indisputable, and final.

The only real content of your post is moral judgment. According to
the commonly-accepted text, moral judgment is a job to be left to
God. Either

1. You are out of line with publicly-declared allegiances to values,
or

2. You have some credentials that qualify you to judge for God.

Robert.

Ha-ha-ha, ROLFMAO. Good one Robert, you'll convince everyone that you're
an old man going senile yet.

Yousuf Khan
Old August 26th 10, 03:29 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Robert Myers

On Aug 25, 9:09 am, *wrote:
Robert Myers wrote:
On Aug 20, 10:15 am, *wrote:
What scummy behavior, on their part.

May I see your God credentials, please? *Or are you totally
unacquainted with scripture?

Weird.

I don't think it's weird at all.

So "scummy behaviour" is a judgment only god can make, now? Is it one of
the ten commandments: "Thou shalt not conduct thine behaviour scummily?

The eighth commandment, as Lutherans and RC's count, is "Thou shalt
not bear false witness against thy neighbor." If you are going to
accuse someone of something, you'd best have God-like certainty of
your standing to do so.

In any case, the Ten Commandments are only one (albeit important)
summary of some parts of the Law. That it is only God who is fit to
judge can be found throughout scripture.

People like Chris speak as if their own judgments reflected some
obvious conclusion that anyone would draw. Leaving beliefs in the
supernatural entirely aside, Chris demonstrates over and over again
that he does not understand even the stated beliefs of our culture and
thus is an unlikely person to be proposing moral judgments (as
scripture would see it, in the place of God).

The rest of your post is just more of your abusiveness.

Robert.

Old August 26th 10, 03:58 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Robert Redelmeier

Robert Myers wrote:
[...]

Wierder and wierder -- defending a non sequitur. Did he hit a nerve?

To recap: chrisv accused you of being an Intel fanboy.
Obviously his personal judgement which others may share.
He also accused the Intel/FTC settlement of being scummy. Ditto.

Nothing outside USENET norms. Deity nowhere claimed or involved.

-- Robert R

Old August 26th 10, 04:18 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Robert Myers

Robert Myers wrote:
[...]

The are Usenet norms? Would that include all of alt.*? I guess
pretty much anything goes.

We are off, here, into moral proclamations, a favorite pastime of
many, including you.

If you are going to make moral announcements as if you had the
standing to do so, then it stands to reason that you should exhibit
some knowledge of and consonance with the beliefs of the culture in
which you made your announcements.

No matter what you or I may personally believe, our culture at least
nominally subscribes to a set of values that proscribes, among other
things, placing oneself in the seat of judgment which, in the standard
formulation, is reserved to God. It matters not in the slightest
whether you have included any religious material in your announcement
or what you actually believe. If you presume to be a moral arbiter,
you have to establish your moral standing to *be* a moral arbiter.

You can disagree, vehemently, if you wish, with assumed cultural
norms, but you can't at the same time make your announcements as if
they would be manifestly acceptable to everyone.

Robert.