wireless netwok, off-topic, but I have 2 gateways ;)

Old July 10th 03, 11:11 AM
afsoun

Default wireless netwok, off-topic, but I have 2 gateways ;)

I am buying a house that is prewired with CAT-5 everywhere. The cable comes
into the house in a metal closet from whence all in-house wiring emanates,
so I can't put a wireless router there (signal wouldn't get out due to
metal, I think). There will be two computers in the immediate future, one a
wired desktop and the other a laptop for which I intend to buy a card to use
wireless. They will be in close proximity to each other in the family room,
so for right now I could... cable into house to modem in metal closet
wired to the outlet in the family room, and then hook up the wireless
router. But... Later if I want to add another wired computer in, say, a
bedroom, I would have to have a router in the metal closet. At that point,
the wireless router would be serving simply as a WAP in the family room.

So, is there any problem with that? Would I have to turn something "off" in
the wireless router (e.g., a firewall) so that the wired computer in the
bedroom could see the wireless computer in the family room (which would then
be 2 routers away. Sorry for the newbie questions. I haven't got a clue,
but then that is why I am here asking)

In essence, is it better to buy (1) a router and a WAP now (Router in metal
closet, from which I could connect to any/all rooms, and WAP in the family
room), or (2) a wireless router now (In the family room) and a router later
if needed? I see that a WAP and a wireless router go for about the same
price, so is there any downside to option 2? Other possibilities I am
missing?

TIA for any help,

Affie