CDROM's stopped working?

Old November 12th 03, 02:56 AM
Default CDROM's stopped working?

I have Windows 2000 pro installed on my PC. Recently both
of my cdroms stopped working. When I open the device
manager I can see that both drives fail to start. I can
boot off the drives so I know that they work. The problem
seems to be with windows OS. Maybe I picked up a virus or
someone hacked my registry? I uninstalled the drivers and
let windows reinstall them but the drive fail to start. I
can not see them in explorer and they have a yellow error
icon in the device manager. Any Ideas on how to fix this?

thanks in advanced.
Old November 14th 03, 07:29 AM

Okay, I fixed it. It was a problem with the Roxio EZ CD creator
software and the windows registry.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 270008

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system.
Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result
from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your
own risk.

There are two supported methods to resolve this issue.
Method One
Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely from the
following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

NOTE: If you are getting a code 39 message, it may be that additional
third-party filter drivers were added to UpperFilters and LowerFilters
values in addition to Adaptec filter drivers. In that case, you may
try to remove the non-Adaptec filter drivers first, leaving the Easy
Creator filters in place to see if the Code 39 goes away. If you still
receive an error code 39, 32, or 31 message, remove the Upperfilters
and Lowerfilters values completely in the preceding key.

Restart your computer.
Method Two
If the above method does not resolve the code 31 error message and
restore access to your CD-ROMs, if you also have Media Player version
7.0 installed, you can uninstall Media player version 7.0 and download
and install the latest release posted at the following Microsoft Web

This is a known issue with Easy CD Creator versions 5.01 and earlier,
and DirectCD versions 3.01c and earlier.
This issue may also occur with the latest versions of Easy CD Creator
5.01 and DirectCD 3.01d or later.

The third-party products that are discussed in this article are
manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft
makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or
reliability of these products.

NOTE: There may be other third party CD-Writing Software that exhibit
similar behavior. Some or all of these troubleshooting steps can apply
to them if they also add entries under the UpperFilters or
LowerFilters registry values by either adding their filter drivers or
by removing the registry keys and values outlined in this article that
start with:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

WARNING: Ensure you perform a backup of your registry before you make
any changes.