Shut down with MBM

Old January 21st 05, 06:18 PM
Free

Default Shut down with MBM

I have MBM 5.3.7. It is setup to monitor sensors for CPU1, CPU2, Case
temp; which it does just fine. However, I cannot get it to react to a
high temperature alarm.

The high temp settings, for each, are at 54 deg C. Enabled. I have
it set to to sound an WAV file on alarm and start a shutdown
application. There have been a couple of occassions where the temp
has been breached, but no sign that MBM is responding. The system
shuts down hard by a BIOS command at 58 deg C. MBM's log shows an
escalating temp, but no shutdown info, so I am pretty sure the BIOS is
acting before MBM decides to do anything.

Are there any unobvious tricks to make MBM shut things down nice and
smoothly? Thanks.
Old January 22nd 05, 12:11 PM
Forum User

Yes, get it to start the following program on high alarm

"shutdown -s -t 0" - immediate closing down of all programs and exit from
Windows

- or -

"shutdown -r -t 0" - as above, but restart.

Old January 23rd 05, 04:26 PM
Knuelle

"Free" wrote in message

I have MBM 5.3.7. It is setup to monitor sensors for CPU1, CPU2, Case
temp; which it does just fine. However, I cannot get it to react to a
high temperature alarm.

The high temp settings, for each, are at 54 deg C. Enabled. I have
it set to to sound an WAV file on alarm and start a shutdown
application. There have been a couple of occassions where the temp
has been breached, but no sign that MBM is responding. The system
shuts down hard by a BIOS command at 58 deg C. MBM's log shows an
escalating temp, but no shutdown info, so I am pretty sure the BIOS is
acting before MBM decides to do anything.

Are there any unobvious tricks to make MBM shut things down nice and
smoothly? Thanks.

check if "enable high temperature alarm for this sensor" is enabled at
the specific sensors
Old January 24th 05, 07:23 PM
Free

The temp sensors for CPU1, CPU2, and System are all enabled. Each
alarm is set at a fixed temp (54 for CPUs, 50 for System). When the
temp is hit, I have MBM set to play a sound and execute a logoff
program (TrueOff, which tests fine when I execute it manually). FWIW,
I don't have a low-temp alarm set.

Neither the sound nor TrueOff execute when the temp is hit. Any other
clues, or even tips on how to test it?

Old January 25th 05, 10:55 AM
Forum User

"Free" wrote in message
The temp sensors for CPU1, CPU2, and System are all enabled. Each
alarm is set at a fixed temp (54 for CPUs, 50 for System). When the
temp is hit, I have MBM set to play a sound and execute a logoff
program (TrueOff, which tests fine when I execute it manually). FWIW,
I don't have a low-temp alarm set.

Neither the sound nor TrueOff execute when the temp is hit. Any other
clues, or even tips on how to test it?

You sure you've got the right sensor alarmed ?
To test, drop alarm temp to subnormal levels.

Old January 27th 05, 05:31 PM
Free

Dropping the alarm temp down did indeed trigger the alarm. This is
the first time I have seent the pop-up window indicating an alarm and
a choice to ignore or turnoff.

The CPU is running at about 44 deg C, so I put the alarm at 40 which
caused the trigger. I chose to turn it off. I then set the alarm
temp to 45 and ran some CPU intensive stuff. It hit 45 and responded
about 30 seconds afterwards with the outline of the popup window - the
window never showed the text - and I noticed MBM running the CPU full
throttle. In short, it hung. I was able to end the process and
restart it normally.

Is the delay (~30 sec) normal?
Any known reason why it would hang when it hit the alarm?

So, although I can trigger the alarm by lowering the threshold temp, I
haven't yet seen it work when the temp rises to hit the threshold. It
should be the same, but my experience doesn't show it.

"Forum User" wrote:

.. .

Old January 29th 05, 05:06 PM
Forum User

If 45C is the temp at which your CPU craps out, it's not gunna be able to
run MBM.
This may explain the delay, too.

"Free" wrote in message
[...]

"Forum User" wrote:

. ..

Old January 29th 05, 06:16 PM
Free

"Forum User" wrote:
If 45C is the temp at which your CPU craps out, it's not gunna be able to
run MBM.

1. Can you elaborate - why would a low temp cause problems for MBM?
2. But, 45 is just the temp I used for testing. Normally it runs at
about 49-51, and I have the alarm temp at 54. Will it work OK at
these levels?

This may explain the delay, too.

.. .

Old January 30th 05, 05:37 AM
Mitch Crane

Free wrote in
:

So, although I can trigger the alarm by lowering the threshold temp, I
haven't yet seen it work when the temp rises to hit the threshold. It
should be the same, but my experience doesn't show it.

One thing which isn't the same is whatever you are using to drive up the
temp wasn't running as it was when you lowered the threshold.