New thread

Old April 3rd 17, 10:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_26_]

Default New thread

Norm X wrote:

Careful study of the M1640 manual images says I want to know more about the
ITE 8718FX, near the DIMM slots. ITE is a fabless company in Taiwan, 8718FX
is the IC ID. When I do Google search I get a lot of hits for intelligence
agencies. Either they do their own service work, or this IC is hackable.

That should be about a roughly 128 pin quad flat pack, and is your
SuperI/O. That doesn't have regulation functions. It has
things like floppy interface, two serial ports, PS/2 keyboard
and mouse ports, IRDA interface, and so on. It also typically
includes the hardware monitor, three voltages, three fan speeds,
three temperatures and so on.

While I didn't see a datasheet pop up for that, this has a
passing reference to its function.

http://manualmachine.com/acer/verito...manual/page:2/

Super I/O controller: ITE 8718FX

*******

Power regulators don't generally get too big. Maybe 48 or 64 pins max
or so. If a regulator has the MOSFETs inside the package, it may have
a heat slug in the bottom center, but there's no way to see
that from the outside. While there can be a thermal via field
visible on the backside of the motherboard, you'd have to take the
thing apart to examine it.

The gate capacitance of a power MOSFET can be on the order of 3000pF.
That's a large load, being driven at a high frequency. So instead,
the arch is like this.

Regulator ------ Phase 1 --- Buffer chip - Up MOSFET, Down MOSFET
------ Phase 2 --- Buffer chip - Up MOSFET, Down MOSFET
------ Phase N --- Buffer chip - Up MOSFET, Down MOSFET

By doing it that way, the main chip doesn't drive the MOSFETs directly.
Doing it this way would save money (and was done in the past)...

Regulator ------ Phase 1 ----------------- Up MOSFET, Down MOSFET
------ Phase 2 ----------------- Up MOSFET, Down MOSFET
------ Phase N ----------------- Up MOSFET, Down MOSFET

but the FCV^2 of the Phase driver outputs would cause
the Regulator chip to overheat, even with a heat slug
on the bottom. Using the buffer chips, means the heat is
spread out a bit.

And to show how loopy some of the motherboard designers are,
there is one motherboard, where a tiny 8 pin switcher with a
MOSFET inside, runs with a case temperature of 100C. And
that's before the room gets hot. You wouldn't know it was
there, unless you touched it... It was detected via an IR
camera photograph. That's how someone figured it out.

Paul
Old April 13th 17, 06:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm X[_2_]

[...]

Thanks again Paul. I'm also making some progress in setting RAM timings
using Memset. Memset 4.1 ran smoothly on my Acer Aspire One netbook. It
accepts the chip set. I could have changed RAM timings if I wanted to.
Googling suggested that my best bet would be with Memset 3.1, for the M1640.
However using the Way Back Machine, I was only able to obtain Memset 3.4. It
'almost' ran on my Acer M1640. Maybe the authors reply to email.
Alternatively, with time I could disassemble, alter and compile what I want.

Cant fine that thread Fievel J Mousekewitz Overclocking AMD Processors 1 August 1st 08 12:24 AM
New thread Robert E. Watts Packard Bell 8 February 7th 08 09:57 PM
depth of thread Osiris General 10 August 1st 06 08:00 AM
What happened to the IMD thread? Jeffrey Alsip Compaq Servers 5 September 15th 05 07:55 AM
Wow i just try x2 the thread and it not like it was. DDC Ati Videocards 0 August 21st 05 09:11 PM